Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest beware of scammer david horton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

My plan is to string him along until he gives up...he now says the name on the address is different from his
    because it's his wife...giddy-up...

As Einstein once said, " The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits."

bchctybob likes this.
  2. adam401

adam401

People are stupid. Thats why we keep having these threads. Dont put your info in the thread. Do reverse image search if they send you a photo of your rare part. If they are new on this forum dont do business. If their friend has the part its a scam.
    And for fucks sake if you do business on this forum get an alliance membership. Its 50 bucks a year. Not only are you helping support the forum you're doing transactions through but it buys you a level of protection and credibility. Seriously its 50 bucks a year. In this hobby thats pennies

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  3. phat rat

phat rat

It doesn't matter where I advertise something I NEVER put ph number or email address in an ad

alanp561 and lostmind like this.
  4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

title sounds like a bad Dr Seuss Book I think the title would be Horton Hear s a Chump lol

5. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

hi first post of a long time reader. I one time walked up to the door of a scammer and the look on their face was priceless and I ended up with my parts for a lot less than he was trying to rip me off for. I wouldn't recommend that most people do that but I'm a bit of a big guy who has a crazy side.

Guy

ffr1222k, bchctybob, j hansen and 5 others like this.
  6. grumpy65

grumpy65

As @Squablow said, this is most probably a false address................he has scammed you once again. Never under-estimate these guys. I find it hard to beleive that he would just disclose his actual address. o_O

Come on guys, maybe you should go back and remove/edit out this address from your posts. We don't need a lynch mob turning up on the doorstep of what may be the home of innocent and unknowing people. :eek::eek::eek:

lurker mick, wraymen and XXL__ like this.
  7. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I agree that it's probably not his address, but interestingly, the owner of that address on tax rolls is a [edited ] very similar to the previously reported one at that address. No lynch mobs, the scammer probably found it just like I did.

Edited because they probably don't have a clue about the scammer.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  8. If I’m reading this right, he actually had the parts you wanted. Curious what the scam was.

lothiandon1940 and grumpy65 like this.
  9. grumpy65

grumpy65

Exactly. I struggle to comprehend how people know he is a snake, but assume he is not lying about his address. A bit of an insight into how even people who think they are aware can still get caught. o_Oo_Oo_O

By the way, you may have just added an innocent person's name to the thread....................

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  10. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

By the way, you may have just added an innocent person's name to the thread....................

Noted, and I edited the previous post. Can't stand a scammer, no use dragging others in.

grumpy65 likes this.
  11. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

guy here the scam was he never sent parts to people after he got the money. what he didn't realize was I was from the area an knew where he lived an knew his dad so was Quite surprised when I was at his door after he tried to steal my money

lothiandon1940, wraymen and slim38 like this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Guys, it's not just here, they are everywhere!
    Remember how they basically took over Craigslist? Well, the same thing is happening on Facebook Marketplace right now. Was window shopping this weekend while at home, there were countless ads for cars, trucks, tractors, motorcycles, all at ridiculous low prices. Too good to be true prices! A common thing about most of them, they claim to be a dealership, but you look at the posted name and it's some goofy shit with an link----I wouldn't dare click on one of those links! That's what they want you to do, click on the link to their "dealership", and it will probably install all kind of malware on your computer so they can get your personal info. One of the other tip offs is the use of the same lifted pic showing the item to be in several locations, at different prices. A quick Google reverse lookup on the pic will show other places the pic has been posted.

It's a slimey world anymore! You have to check and double check everything! These bums work hard to fool us, we have to work just as hard to keep them from it! There are plenty of honest sellers out there, you just have to do your homework. It's no longer a hand shake and a smile in person, now it's play Sherlock Holmes and hope you find all the clues!

bchctybob likes this.
  13. Vilshofen

Vilshofen

Hello all ! I am also engaged with this person and much of what you write lines up with my experience. I have a WTB add for some parts on another forum and a brand new member "Paul" from that forum sent me a note that "Osbey" wants to sell his and gave me his e-mail address "[email protected]."

I knew this was a scam all along but like to collect info as well string them along. He/She (could be M or F) sent me a link to a site which had pics of the parts and it was indeed the one I was looking for. I did a reverse image search and found nothing on it so he may have captured it from another forum which is not public-facing.

The e-mail signature was "Holmes Osbey" and immediately asked for my address to ship things to without disclosing price. I let him know I would have it picked up so I needed his address for the parts. He gave 942 Chickasaw Dr. Grenada, MS. I searched this and no such address exists. However, you can use some sites (e.g Spokeo) to see the names of people living on a street or the names of who the neighbors are. At 924 Chickasaw it shows T***** Holmes" so there may be a connection.

In asking questions to string him along, I managed to get him to click on a tracking link which reveals his true IP address. Turns out he or she is using a VPN to show the source IP is in Denver. No luck there!

I asked for an additional photo showing a specific view of the parts and he/she indicated it was at his parents house far away and he/she cannot go there. The person indicated that they are a truck driver and always on the road and cannot get another pic.

They asked me to pay via Zelle but I told them I will send a Money Order. They gave me a new address at 23322 Sawmill Pass in Spring TX and that the check be in the name of Shasta Osbey. Using many of the same websites, you can find the aliases used and associates for a given name. It listed "D***** Shasta Osbey" as an alias and I noted the "associates" names. The D**** Osbey is shown to live at the 23322 address. If you start searching Facebook with some of those names, you will see all the associates linked as well as commonalities starting to form.

It is possible, that the addresses are in no way associated with this, but the fact that they are willing to have me mail a check for $500+ to this address is telling. As for the variations in spelling, banks can be forgiving for such as long as it is a single letter but the first or last name is correct. Just thought I'd add my piece as well and happy to hear they can get you upgraded turbo bearings.

Hemi Joel, bchctybob and belair like this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Guys... please be careful. One thing we don’t do here is dox folks... not publicly anyway.

bchctybob, Squablow and XXL__ like this.
  15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've looked all over around here for some but I think the Covid hoarders have it all. If you could see your way clear to sending me a couple of quarts, I'd really appreciate it. As soon as I find out what the freight rates are on pesos or yen, I'll get your money off to you, okay?.;)

16. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Still playing his own game with him....he thinks I mailed a M.O. last Saturday to him...he's supposed to let me
    know when he gets it...when he doesn't I can then string him along for at least another month, haha..

pigIRON63, Hemi Joel and Country Joe like this.