Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Beware: Eastwood sound deadener

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Never2old, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I highly doubt they'll show, after this thread!:D

loudbang and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  2. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

It IS pricey, but I got in in my car and really like it
    The only issue I had is as soon as any of the sticky side touches anything, it doesn’t want to let go. So if you have to position a piece behind a door brace or something, you have to be really careful
    Then again... it all gets covered up, so it doesn’t have to be perfect

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

The only problem I've had with sound deadeners may have been self inflicted (but not intended)-I sprayed my Car with Lizardskin (both heat & sound), them I put Dynamat Extreme over the top of the Lizardskin-
    It worked great- until it didn't- the Dynamat stuck great everywhere except the roof- now, mind you, my Car still isn't finished (unless Upholstery Jail keeps it 6 months it'll finally see the road this Year), but I have an area where it just doesn't stick- (yes, I used the Roller)-
    Thinking of my options, it's either use an Upholstery Shop glue like Dap Weldwood Adhesive, or take out the Dynamat (on the Roof anyway, it's stuck like glue everywhere else)- and possibly apply more Lizardskin-

loudbang likes this.
  4. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

image.jpeg This is a good adhesive available at HD.

loudbang likes this.
  5. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

In 1972 I had a '66 Mustang that oozed gray goop from the door panels in the summer time. It was standard equipment from Ford.

6. I have had it in my 53 for about 5 years no problems

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  7. 6sally6

6sally6

I can imagine having that stuff installed under your carpet. On a good hot/humid southern day you go to step into your ride and your foot starts a slipp'in like stepping in dog shit....or goose shit......OR cat shit ...with leather sole shoes on!
    Carpet getting all wadded up as your foot slides!!
    Man!!!!Whata mess.
    6sally6

loudbang likes this.
  8. 49cadillac

49cadillac

I'm still dealing with this crap in my '56 Nomad. Can't remove it so my work around has been to use petroleum solvent to wipe away as much of the black ooze as possible and then cover the seams with aluminum HVAC tape which captures a lot of the exposed edges. My carpets are caked with this shit on the back side and I'm reluctant to use solvent to dissolve it so will just hope for the best.
    So, 17 months after the OP, here I am with a similar horror story. Eastwood most likely knew this crap was bad when they sold it to me (I bought it on sale back when Eastwood had a good reputation otherwise why the "good deal?"). Of course, they never bothered to contact me, warn me, etc. even though e-commerce gives them a link to their customers. Along with a lot of other New Year's resolutions I will continue to NEVER, EVER buy anything from Eastwood again!

9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I used Second Skin in two cars with no problems, similar to Dyna Mat but not as pricey. Was in my 60 Thunderbird and the exhaust runs through the drive shaft tunnel and it never melted. IMG_0446.jpg

10. So i wonder what's on the other side of the metal? Because sound deadening material isn't heat resistant. If the metal doesn't see heat and the sound deadener is melting, I'd throw a fit

reagen likes this.
  11. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have to add to this since I posted earlier saying that I had never experienced any melting. This past summer I had to remove some panels from my trunk in my 40. I was amazed to find some melted black substance had ran down the inside of the body. Thankfully it was in an area that does not touch any of the interior panels. Where it came from was the seams that I had not covered with the foil tape. None of the well taped seams had leaked/oozed.

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It does ooze. Did a pickup, The heat from the sun makes it melt and drip.

13. indyjps

indyjps

I installed kilmat in my daily last summer. Before I installed the carpet, parked the truck outside in July closed up and checked each day for 4 days, I wanted to be sure I wasnt getting a tar smell. All was good.

My current build will be using a combo of lowbukrod bubble insulation, kilmat, lizard skin - spray on. Depending on area. Underside of floors and inside footwells already have epoxy and bedliner.

okiedokie likes this.
  14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Same here.

indyjps likes this.
  15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've used a product from Home Depot that's for sealing air ducts. It was $15 for a 12"x15 ft. roll, and it's foil with a dense gray foam on the back. I've used it on my last 3 car builds and love it.
    But I wonder why the OP started this thread, but never returned to respond to posts others made? Did he buy his Eastwood product as old stock, and not direct from Eastwood, so he couldn't go back to them? Wonder why he never posted the outcome of his mishap?

brEad, stillrunners and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. ihaterust

ihaterust
    from minnesota

I have a friend who had the same problem with the Eastwood crap. He lined his complete 56 Buick and within a few weeks it started to bleed black out of every seam and crack. It literally puddled on the floor. When he contacted Eastwood they sent him a gallon of solvent. Spend the xtra money and but Dynamat, Hush Mat, etc.

17. gene-koning

gene-koning

The failed Eastwood stuff was asphalt based peal and press material with a foil backing. Other companies sold the same stuff. When it was first installed, it had a tar smell that went away after a few days, but the biggest issue was the asphalt based stuff would break down under temps just over 100 degrees. The black goo is the tar coming out of the asphalt base.

I don't know what Eastwood is selling now, but most of the modern soundeadener is butyl based. The butyl is good for up to 220 F degrees and good down to -40 F degrees. When you buy a peel and press foil backed soundeadener be sure you are buying a butyl based product.

I've been using stuff called NOICO (Amazon-36 sq ft .080 thick black foil cost around $67, the black was $1 more then the silver), the .080 (also available in .050) thick is available with the foil backing in either silver or black. It comes in 6 pieces 19 1/2" x 26 1/2" and can be cut with a utility knife. Price wise is slightly more then the Kilmat, but doesn't have the advertising stamped all over it, a pretty nice feature if you don't have upholstery or a finished interior. The current project I just installed it in last fall was the 3rd ride I've used it in. Its easier to install the Dynamat and about 1/2 the price. The material will conform to curved inner body panels, and you can stick it, and then move it if need be before its rolled down. I did buy a 1" diameter steel drum roller to install the material, I think I paid $10 for it. The roller is a pita to use on concave curved panels and in tight confines, so you will want another option available to press it down. Gene

18. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Well the end of the story is that I removed that crap using a heat gun and a putty knife.
    The car never saw temperatures over 90 degrees and was stored indoors.
    The best solvent I found to cut it was gasoline.
    The nightmare is over.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well, another summer and no leakage from the Lowe's Peel & Seal. The floor in my A pickup used to get so hot I almost couldn't stand to drive it in the summer time, it was like being roasted alive in there. The Peel & Seal made all the difference with that, it's no longer an issue that ever comes to mind. And I've never had a problem with the asphalt material separating as shown in this thread, it still looks the same as it did when I installed it years ago. I did not do anything special with the seams at all, no tape over them or the edges. It worked so well for me that I added it to the firewall/toe boards on the 47 coupe a few years back, and again, I've had zero issues with the asphalt loosening, leaking, etc.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Seal-...5ddd277eacf61709e150788a182306de&gclsrc=3p.ds

20. I have never used a sound deadener in any of my cars. It’s a hot rod , it should be noisy. If I want quiet I will stay in bed. Or drive my pickup. Yes my pickup is quiet it is 2016? Hot Rods to Hell.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

barrnone50, stanlow69, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  21. gene-koning

gene-koning

Well good for you!
    So, you have no carpet, no headliner, and no door panels either? Because any of these is adding sound deadener.

22. MikeZ

MikeZ

Sorry to chime in so late on the subject. I've been satisfied with my limited purchases from Eastwood so far.
    So I have to ask, did you call or e-mail Eastwood with your issue on the X-mat? What was their response ? What was the purchase date of your material? Was there a batch number on it? Sounds like it may have an older product.
    I've used the 3M sound deadener on my Cooper S. Made a huge difference. I just got notice that Eastwood is having a sale on their X-Mat and am tempted to buy a couple of boxes.
    Thanks to all the others on their experience with other products.
    I look forward to your reply.
    Cheers !

23. modagger

modagger

X2

24. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Sorry but I can’t tell you when I purchased the Eastwood sound deadener. I had it on the shelf for at least a year before installing.
    What I can guarantee it was never subjected to extreme heat.
    It was a huge f’ing mess to remove.
    There are a lot af other stuff out there.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  25. Just curious on how close the exhaust is to the floor?
    Was the engine “broken in”
    The break in cycle generates a lot of heat
    Or is it the top. My 1947 I phone with weld spatter on the cover is hard to tell.

26. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

It was never run.

anthony myrick and ottoman like this.
  27. MikeZ

MikeZ

Hello Never2Old,
    Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunate that you may not have contacted Eastwood to get a response. I've found that most vendors, if given the chance, will respond to complaints, though not always with the answer we want.
    I'm going to give the X-mat a chance and see how it performs.
    I'm also looking at DEI and KoolMat for a couple of other items.
    I'll keep you posted on the results.
    With the temps we've had in the Seattle area lately, I may have a solid block of goo on my hands, but hopefully not.
    Cheers !

5window likes this.
  28. blazedogs

blazedogs

Just my opinion from past experience. I,m not referring to Eastwood or any particular brand of insulation.
    I see the most popular nowadays is the very thin self adhesive insulation with a tar like substance with the aluminum foil. I don't believe it is a good ( sound deadener) . I have used each twice on two different cars including the roof and trunk that were also similar cars. No comparison at all ;the old ( Jute )is still the best sound deadener. Talked to a upholster yesterday and he agreed . Just My experience & thought
    My posts have been deleted frequently lately ?? I hope this stays.. Gene in Mn

stanlow69 and 5window like this.
  29. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I have jute under the carpet and sound deadener on the floor. The sound deadener actually works great as an heat insulator (jute sucks IMO) and jute works well for what sound deadener doesn't handle. When someone invents 1 product that really does it all I'll buy stock.

dirty old man likes this.
  30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Read an article in a magazine that said wood floor boards with jute padding works best for heat resistance. They tried a few different methods.