Register now to get rid of these ads!

Beware central freight, and who you deal with

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seatex, May 4, 2010.

1. seatex

seatex

Sorry, everyone, but I don't want this to happen to anyone else. Nightmare in Jonesborough, Arkansas........... a standup guy, here on the HAMB, bought a full dress flathead thru the classifieds from BillJ Harris, agreeing (stupidly, evidently) to send the money, TRUSTING the seller was going to do what he said he would do. The money was sent, cashed, and this is the dumb that shit that happened instead of what was agreed to;
    Seller put the flattie and trans on a pallet, wrapped in shrinkwrap (according to him), and shipped collect with NO INSURANCE.
    It came up missing the day after hitting the Central Freight Terminal in Dallas, Texas, on the Thursday before the Lonestar Roundup, over three weeks ago!
    Now, because of the no insurance clause, Cental has agreed (generously:() to reimburse Skinny for 50 cents on the pound, or $500 DOLLARS, ROUGHLY.
    Evidently, neither BillyJ Harris, nor Central Freight think they have any responsibility in this matter.
    Please think long and hard before you deal with either of these two.
    On a positive note, I too am a trusting induvidual, sending a check to a a honest HAMBER for my '31 coupe with a hemi, that was delivered as promised..................... no doubt, most on this forum are upstanding hobbyist, who do what they say they will do. Thank Goodness! Shame on you, Bill, and CENTRAL, YOU SUCK!

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by skinnydennis [​IMG]
    Would you consider selling the motor minus the AC and transmission.:confused:
    skinnydennis

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Oh, he considered it, allright! Took your money, shipped collect (not agreed to) NO INSURANCE, (WHAT A DUMBASS!!!), AND THE SHIT GOT RIPPED OFF THE FIRST NIGHT IT HIT THE DOCK AT CENTRAL FREIGHT IN DALLAS!
    Now he says it's "YOUR problem, YOU BOUGHT IT!"
    Well, Bill, YOU are a fuckin' RIPOFF, and probably had this shit shipped back to you the same damn day! If you are STUPID ENOUGH to send it on a pallet, shrinkwrapped for all to see, collect, no insurance, against the agreement you had with SKinnyDennis, taking his money as a gentlemans aggreement and CASH IN YOUR POCKET, You, sir (and I'm using the term loosely) are a thief! My two cents...............CHOKE ON IT!:mad::mad::mad:
    So, my question to you is, ARE YOU A STAND UP HAMBER? If so, are you going to refund Skinny's money? WELL...............................??????????:mad:
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. Don't we have a thread on this already? I remember it.

3. Roger's Rod & Custom, LLC.
    105 county road 404
    or
    5318 highway 1 south
    Jonesboro, Arkansas 72404
    PH-- 870-268-9199

Looks like a large operation with web site and nice looking cars.
    I guess my thought is nobody but a fool or a crook would ship
    an engine like that with no insurance!
    Central Freight is not responsable except for reasonable security.
    So unless the buyer specified no insurance the seller is responsible
    for either engine or full refund.
    MAKE THEM PAY!:rolleyes:
    There may be another side to this story?
    Good luck,
    Bill.

4. skinnydennis

skinnydennis
    from Austin, TX

Up late, can't sleep because of this. There is no other side to this story. Bill's partner, Roger, who is the person I dealt with. We had an agreed upon price. I overnighted a check to Roger's Hot Rod Shop for the motor. (Close to $7,000) Roger sent the motor frieght collect unknowinly to me. When the motor came up missing and I called him his first words were " I sold it to you, not my problem" The way I see things is he should refund my money and let him deal with central freight. I am going to have to get a lawyer now and fight for my money back. I don't know about ya'll but that is a serious amount of money to me. In my business and the way I do business the customer gets taken care of not ripped off.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

This is hindsight,to bad you got screwed but that amount of cash for the engine and tranny you should have sent someone or went and picked it up in person.Hope you get it straightened out.

6. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

i think you need to check into the no insurance statement, this was stolen when in centrals confines, it was still in transit,have your attorney send a letter, it is their baby

7. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Lemme get this straight, The Buyer is in Arkansas & the Seller/Engine was in Texas & you didnt drive the 7 Grand over & pick it up in Person ?

No Way i would 7 Grand to ANYONE for ANYTHING and not lay my hands on it & load it myself.

I drove from California to Nebraska, 3 day round trip for a 3 thousand dollar Full Race Hemi.

3000 mile trip cus i wanted it in MY hands.

8. People,,,remember, Central Freight Lines is in the "freight shipping" business. Not the movements of classic items business. By law, unless you pay for insurance, CFL's is only responsible for "up to $.50/pound" unless otherwise specified. There are in-fact shipping companies that specialize in moveing specialty items. CFL moves "stuff", not engines.

On the other hand, I can't help but smile (sorry guys) when I hear that someone sent $7K off in the mail and "assumed" that the receiver was a straight up guy. Obviously, he is like many many so called "good Americans", he is a fucking no good shitfaced thief and a lying asshole who needs to be wiped off the face of the earth. JMO.

9. skinnydennis

skinnydennis
    from Austin, TX

The 5318 address.

10. skinnydennis

skinnydennis
    from Austin, TX

I would have went myself but that was the weekend of the Lone Star Round UP.
    And besides that I had asked Roger to put a box around it so no one could see what was inside it and the shipping companies SHOULD NOT have thieves working for them and should have cameras and security on their docks. Hell I did one job out of state and the security guards were the ones doing the stealing at nite.

11. Central Freight should be like any other LTL freight company. The two co's I deal with on a regular basis keep meticulous logs on what freight goes into a trailer, and with cameras recording treatment of the goods when loaded and unloaded, and action on the loading dock.
    Central Freight should be able to come up with an answer about where and who. If not getting local satisfaction, go up the chain of command.

12. skinnydennis

skinnydennis
    from Austin, TX

Central Frieght told me on new items they will pay up to $25.00 a lb and on used materials .50 cents a lb. Quite a difference. I will be calling the AG's office today and asking for their help. I was not the one who picked the carrier either. Why can't we expect honest people anymore to ship anything we send or recieve? I will hold my money tighter because of this mess.

13. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

You have a cashed check as a receipt and NEVER received your merchandise. That has to hold water somehow.

15. Racewriter

Racewriter

I'm afraid I'd agree on this one. And even if I had it shipped, I'd have contacted someone on the HAMB to do it, or I would have very clear paperwork specifiying what the deal was. Unless he's got paperwork saying exactly how it was to be shipped, and that it was to be insured and for what amount, skinnydennis might be fucked on this deal.

16. rsluggoboy

rsluggoboy
    from SALINAS CA

I think Rogers Hotrod Shop, Is B.S. Very poor business man and maybe a liar !

17. deposit is one thing, upfront full payment, you run the risk-always.

18. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

WAIT A MINUTE !!!!!

Isnt the Round Up in TEXAS ?????

You went to Texas for the Round Up but Didnt Take the time to Pick the Engine up yourself ?

19. skinnydennis

skinnydennis
    from Austin, TX

You have it backwards, but i get your point! Millions of people every day make purchases on Ebay sight unseen except for the pictures. Many honest businesses out there, but, I will not do this again. I will go and look then give up my HARD EARNED money if all is good. The big picture is if a business is not "stand up" then do not support that business! I'm not looking for sympathy, just letting you know I found 2 non "Stand up" businesses in one transaction.

20. specialk

specialk

other way around - buyer and roundup in texas - seller in arkansas

21. skinnydennis

skinnydennis
    from Austin, TX

This is what i am counting on. I clearly have a cashiers check copy to Rogers's Hot Rod Shop for the purchase. He chose the shipper and made all of the arrangementsnot me, that is why i feel he should refund my money and go after CF to recoup HIS loss.

22. skinnydennis

skinnydennis
    from Austin, TX

Guys, read a little closer. I live in Austin and bought the motor from a shop in Arkansas.

23. skinnydennis

skinnydennis
    from Austin, TX

OOPS on my last reply, I didn't read close enough.

24. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Keep this in mind for future ref. If you use a US Postal Service money order, and it get's cashed, with no merchandice presented to the buyer, the casher has committed mail fraud, and grand theift, both are a felony. I always use postal money orders. Sorry to hear about this.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok there have to be several guys from Texas who have friends who work for or drive for Central. It shouldn't be all that hard to find out who works at the Dallas terminal who is into hot rods who just came up with a new engine for his ride. I used to know several Central drivers when I lived in Texas and they do like to gossip about what they see and hear.
    It may have been intentionally put on the "wrong" truck too.

But I am with the others in that I don't think that I would have been in such a big assed hurry to get the engine that I couldn't wait a few days to drive up there myself and have sent a reasonable deposit with funds due at time of pickup. Hell, there is probably an Arkansas Hamber who would have picked it up and dropped it off in Austin that week for gas and beer money and a place to stay the weekend.
    But poor service is poor service with no crate and no insurance on a high ticket item too and something to be remembered by all of us.

26. big creep

big creep

next time buy from H&H flatheads in La Crescenta CA. much better than that guy! and they do carry insurance!!!!!!!!

27. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I have yet to be screwed buying something from Ebay ,craigslist or any other website. BUT I don't send $7000 by mail and hope everyone who is between here and there is a stand up guy. I do feel bad for you but it's only a friggen car show, put your ass in the seat of your pickup and drive to the location. Road trips are way cool !!!

28. saints

saints

man get a lawyer and sue.... 7g's is worth the trouble IMO

29. big creep

big creep

x2:mad:

30. OK guys, lets stop beating the guy up. He is already screwed for $7K. However, one last word on this. Arkansas is "could be" on the route from Texas to the HAMB drags if you go through Texarkana. You could stop by the guys shop and beat the living shit out of him, his wife, his kids, leave his dog alone, and maybe even his grand parents just for good measure. Or, you could hire Guido to go and do it.