Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BETWEEN THE HORNS OF A DILEMMA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, May 12, 2016.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually there is only one and the horn ended up in the middle but that is beside the point, I like the title. Before I paint this contraption I needed a place to mount my horn and I'm gonna show you what I came up with.

So I am building a fenderless 34 ford ragtop, no hood (at least for now) original headlights, one fog light on the right, not a lot of real estate for a horn but needs one. Grille is mounted to a big Brassworks radiator and I purchased a chin pan from a company who will remain nameless because it didn't fit for crap and I don't whine, I weld. I totally get though why people leave this item off their cars. If I had paid a shop for this alteration it would have been thousands. But this is a blown flathead and the chin pan helps with air flow.

I started butchering the pan by cutting the mounting sides off of it and slitting them open to allow them to be contoured to the bottom of the grille. Once that was completed I bolted it in place using the original mount in the center and nut zerted the lower and upper locations on each side for ease of removal and installation. It no longer underlaps (sp?) the inner fender to make it easier to remove after painted. Once that was complete I held what was left of the pan to the back of the grill and traced the shape needed, and cut it some more. The tack welding had to be done on the car (lots of masking tape) to assure the proper fit, then removed, welded, ground and blasted. This is the front and all welds show top and bottom for extra fun and grinding.
    upload_2016-5-12_16-13-49.png
    You can see I purchased the pan that had the raise for the crank but no hole. Then I got creative and cut a hole in the front just this shy of too much and pounded down a nice flat mounting flange and cut into that four slots. I bought a good quality pancake horn off the interwebs and formed a bracket which I welded to the back holding the horn in optimal honking position.
    upload_2016-5-12_16-17-15.png
    Added the horn which has just enough clearance to be easily removed for service or replacement
    upload_2016-5-12_16-18-14.png
    Bolted the assembly back on the grille You can see how nice it mated up now. The 12 point in the middle will be replaced by a button head but it was all I had in the bin of despair. (and yes I have cable TV in the garage...I'm a cowboy fan, the wife is an Eagles fan, thus the garage TV).
    upload_2016-5-12_16-20-5.png
    Ready for the fun part? 36 horn cover and gasket behind the 34 grille. Looks like it grew there. Wont see this one at your local cruise in or car show.
    upload_2016-5-12_16-22-35.png
    I also had to "massage" the inner fenders to mate to the grille in a manner I was pleased with which took some doing as evidenced by the pie cuts at the bottom. I also gave them a bit more flare by cutting an imitation 34 front fender radius in the front rather than being square cut. Filled a lot of holes and generally remade them to fit my car. Car will be black, so will that panel and inner fenders, the cover and grille will stay shiny. Honk 'em if you got 'em and give me some feedback.
    upload_2016-5-12_16-23-25.png
    Bandit Billy, 10-10 on the side.

dwollam, clem, Benny's Ford and 12 others like this.
  2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

that looks great.
    another item t could have been stashed anywhere but instead a very thoughtful and clean install that most people will not realize how much went into it it looks smooth
    nice work

4. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

very nice and clean

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

Very well thought out and excellent execution.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Well done. Looks like the factory put it there.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the reply's. that was the idea, most folks walking past the car will miss that and a ton of other mods that are visible only to the few that know. That's my idea of a well executed modification.

volvobrynk, Hnstray and Just Gary like this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is a really nice feature, like the '36 cover fitted in there. Have you given any thought to building a pan under the grille forward to the V crossmember? Try some cardboard to see how it looks. Bob

9. brady1929

brady1929

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Very good idea and execution. If and when the horn goes bad it will be easy to replace too.

Come on, fess up, the TV is there to watch your soap operas ! :D

Don

11. Nice work!

Now show us the rest of the '34!!

12. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Very nice work! What source is the horn from?

14. Horns are a pain...but essential. The ones on my '59 were under the hood and in the way of everything, so out they came and went behind the grille.

You did a very nice job locating it, neat and clean and probably 3 people in 100 will notice and appreciate it.

15. afaulk

afaulk

I'm always saying that it's the things that you don't notice that set OK cars apart from really nice cars.

volvobrynk and Hnstray like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone, it was actually a fun install, beats running fuel lines tonight.

HotRodsToHell, the horn is a tuner piece that is a common aftermarket application for Subaru's and such. Loud, and has a cool chrome grill on it that is slightly visible through the 36 cover.

Captain Morgan's and coke...............horn........one of my dad's old tools.......horn cover
    upload_2016-5-14_19-10-36.png

The tools of the trade.

And Boss396, if 3 out of 100 catch it I'd be surprised. There are a ton of other mods on her that will likely go un-noticed as well but they are my creations and the result of much forethought and alcohol.

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They won't miss it if you honk the horn at em...:D Good job. Attention to detail does make a difference...

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois
    1. 1940 Ford

That's the kind of detail that makes your car stand out, well done. :D

volvobrynk and Hnstray like this.
  19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. 117harv

117harv

Nice work, I like it.

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ditto to all above...........:)

Ray

22. tb33anda3rd

tb33anda3rd
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to all of you, like I said most people would miss this stuff walking by the car...but not you guys. Gaining your creds make the pain and suffering tolerable, maybe enjoyable. glass is empty , gotta go.

volvobrynk likes this.