Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Better Late than Never - SYMCO SHAKEDOWN #5 - Aug 9-10, 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cliffy, Jul 16, 2013.

1. It's 23 days and a few hours until the start of our FIFTH!!!! Show. I guess it is time to start a post. 5th year already, holy cow! Time sure passes quickly.

You have not seen much advertising from us this year. So, why have we been so quiet? We want to keep this show true to traditional hot rodding and keep it a gathering of friends. It grew a lot last year and we need to keep it special for participants and campers. It is a hot rod show, spectators come second. This is "summer camp for hot rodders". No big changes for 2013. Same hours, same cost. Friday Aug 9 - 8am-11pm, Sat Aug 10 - 8am-11pm. Thursday evening pre-party for preregistered only.

As always, our criteria is strict. Traditional hot rods. NO RAT RODS!!!!! If you have rebar and chicken wire welded to your ride, drive it to the junkyard, NOT SYMCO! We want jalopies, show cars and drivers. We don't cater to high end trailer cars, we cater to the guy who drives his ride to the show, camps behind it all weekend and comes to have a good time.

1964 and older modified and custom rides. 1949 and older stock appearing vehicles. No modern wheels, modern upgrades and the like. If you "get" the HAMB, you will fit in nicely at Symco. Our gate crew is the best of any shows and you won't see cars that don't fit in to the theme inside our show grounds. We have a special parking area to encourage people to drive their rides even if it doesn't fit the criteria.

Bands! Bands! Bands! Did I mention we will have about 20 live acts this year? Krank Daddies, Twistin' Taranatulas, Barnyard Stompers, Koffin Kats, Uptown Savages, The Crown Vics, Muddy Udders, One Night Standards, Krazy Rocket Fuel, Mad Polecats and MORE!!! Over a $15,000 musical lineup on three stages for two days. Did I mention the cost for the weekend is only $10.

Miss Symco Pinup Contest is not in the cards for 2013. There are numerous reasons behind it, nothing negative, no drama, just not an option for this year. There will be a Rock and Roll Dance Contest in place of it. Something couples can participate in, something FREE to enter and just as entertaining for the spectators. I am working on final details for a dance instructor to give FREE dance lessons both Friday and Sat.

Mini Bike races are as strong as ever. We had 42 bikes entered last year!

Weekend camp spaces are still only $30 each!

Beja Shriners from Green Bay will be hosting a parade on Friday. Mini is the theme, mini bikes, bicycles, mini cars and other small pint stuff. Dress up your mini ride and participate in the parade. Make a mini float and pull it with your hot rod!

The Beja group will also have a FREE ice cream social on Sat!

The Skip Tooth Tigers Bicycle club will be giving away a custom build cruiser bike on Sat this year. Springer front Schwinn! I saw it yesterday and it is turning out to be really cool!

Lots and lots of other things going on at the show. We can't describe how cool the venue is, you just have to be there.

FRIDAY Aug 9 and SATURDAY Aug 10, 2013. Symco WI.
    www.symcoshakedown.com

2. Jesse1952

Jesse1952

This will be my 4th year attending. Can't wait...best show all year!

3. rustang

rustang

Plans have already been made... last year was our first year there, and had a great time.

4. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I'll be there vending my art and camping. Can't wait. Look me up. I'll be in the building with John Wells and others. May even bring the minibike!!

5. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

i have been to every shakedown so far and dont plan to miss any..... see you there!

6. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

I'm bummed that I won't be able to make it this year. It's definitely one of the best car events ever! You won't be disappointed, so make sure you get there!

7. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

Will you be sending out tickets and campsite verification to those of us who have pre-registered?

8. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Note to all previous and new Symco attendees... Cliffy and I always debate the entry critera after every year to try to make them better, less subjective, more clear, etc, etc, etc.. We always make fine tuned changes, but this year, the entry criteria rules were fairly extensively re-writen, so it would be a good idea for you all to read through them to make sure you are still in good shape.

http://www.symcoshakedown.com/Criteria.html

Also:
    I've been thinking about sharing this email we received so I'm finally putting it out there. It was written by someone "in the industry" but I erased the name and contact info. Every year I have people come up to me at the gate basically just thanking us for having a show with the best content and the best entry criteria anywhere in the country but it's still nice to get an email like this.

Subject: FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Symco people, ***** here. I had to write you and give you congratulations & support! You people are the ONLY ones who really have it figured out... I mean the whole traditional hotrod scene.

I’m not a kook, just a long time and loyal car enthusiast. I really want to buy you guys dinner or something for having the common sense and the balls to make it clear what is right in the world of cars... and pointing out what is wrong too. I read with great interest the rules and criteria of Symco... BRAVO! You really did it!!!!

I need to keep this short so I don’t lose credibility, the rest of the car community really needs leaders like you. I hope all car show sponsors read and take notice of the hard work, dedication to facts and history, and heart that you are all putting into this. Seriously, THANK YOU AND CONGRATULATIONS.

Sincerely, *******

9. Criteria has been rewritten, but not changed significantly. Few things added like no fenderless 40's and 50's truck cab "hot rods"...which are NOT traditional. Mostly the criteria was revised to explain and simplify what the rules are. Most everyone has rules, few explain them so people can understand. Really the rules are simple....if you have a traditional hot rod or old school custom you are in....if you have a street rod, muscle car or 1950 and newer stocker, you are in our VIP parking area....if you have a RAT ROD ART CAR STAY HOME!

Im getting tired hearing people saying we don't like shiny paint and calling every unfinished or patina'd car a rat rod! These people do not understand the first thing about Symco. Did you see Voodoo Psychosis there last year? Did you see Rob Paul's Coupe that was on the cover of Rod and Custom. There has been a Street Rodder cover car that has been to at least 3 of our shows, a gold ford coupe as well as dozens of other cars that have been shot for the mags. Our quality if cars is up there. There are unfinished, unpainted jalopies, just as there are very nice show cars. It is the art car rat rod stuff we are against, if your car is unfinished and built with all traditional style parts, it is NOT a rat rod!!!!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  10. Yup, I have started on it. Will get the first batch in the mail this coming week. I don't do it too soon or people loose them.

Registrations are up 10-20% this year.

If anyone is interested in getting free admission, a cool tshirt and an invite to our volunteer party in Oct in exchange for three hours service....sign up here: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/6972116789

11. I'm on my way to the meltdown drags. If anyone sees me there and mentions they saw this post ill give you a free Symco can koozie!

Please come to the Symco Shakedown. It's only $10! Aug 9-10, 2013.

12. i have been to all but the first show. it is by far the best out there and i have been to a bunch over the years. there is just so much to see and do.

13. Nobody must read the HAMB these days, I only gave away 2 koozies, but I saw about a dozen Jalopy Journal and HAMB shirts.

let's try this again... If you want to preview the Symco Shakedown grounds, they are hosting their annual vintage tractor and engine show this weekend. It obviously is the same place we do the Shakedown. Friday-Sunday. $5 per day admission. I am not sure when I will be going, maybe a bit each day. We may decide to bring some hot rods for the parade on Sunday, not sure yet. If you see me there and mention you read this, I'll toss you a free symco can koozie

14. outlaw57

outlaw57

missed last year, but back again this year. Might send you some pics of my elky just to be sure, but its been there before

15. Quintin

Quintin

I figured that the 37 and newer fenderless rule was coming... I guess my trucks out. Looks like I'll have to bring my bicycle instead

16. As always, criteria is up for debate. We will gladly change it if proven wrong with old hot rod mag pics or something similar to show proof. Tudor Jeff and I disagree in that rule very slightly. He says no fenders newer than 1934, I say 35-37 ford trucks may have been built without fenders. I am sure Jeff is right, but anyone know for certain what is correct? The rule is more to keep the 1940's and 1950's style pickup cab rat rods and hot rod impostors out. Let's debate if needed.

17. Yummy

Yummy

Hey, i registered for my volunteer shift last night, still no hot rod on the road yet (may never be).
    Cliff, I'd have to agree '35-'37 Ford truck may have been built w/o fenders, I guess you'd have to see it the see if it looks correct, but a definate NO NO is '40ish and newer truck cab only vehicles!

18. Quintin

Quintin

Its not like it changes my opinion about the show. My truck is a 39 chevy so I'd be out regardless. I still think its the best show I've ever been to for the reason of the criteria. Keep up the good work man.

19. As always we will have our secondary parking for 1965 and up and not meeting criteria stuff. But.... Leave your rat rods at home, we don't want to see that art car garbage! Chicken wire is for farmers and rebar is for construction.

20. staypoor53ford

staypoor53ford
    from wisconsin

cant wait to actually drive a hotrod there and I am all signed up for volunteering thanks for having such a great show !

21. Thanks for being a great participant!

Just got a care package from Dennis O'brien today!! Thanks Dennis!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375136630.805935.jpg
    Some new keychains for this year!

22. A Boner

A Boner

I hope you are going to let a truck like this in!

Attached Files:

23. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Nice key chain!

24. mmiceli

mmiceli
    from Aurora, Il

Is there going to be an engine raffle this year? Thanx

25. Unfortunately, no. I didn't have the time to put anything together and funds were tight this spring. Maybe next year. There will be a few things raffled off, a custom bike and some other cool stuff.

26. A Boner

A Boner

Cliffy does the truck in post # 22 make it in the show?

27. slammed

slammed

28. That's a question for Jeff. What year is the cab?

Please come to the Symco Shakedown. It's not a car show! It's summer camp for hot rodders. Aug 9-10, 2013.

29. Quintin

Quintin

looks like 35-37 ford cab

30. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

That cab is a 36, so according to the current 2013 rules, the truck posted in post #22 would be allowed into the show area. Of course all the other entry criter would have to be met as well.

That truck actually has a nice stance and good proportions as it's built on a modified 34 frame by someone who has a good skilled eye.

The problem is all the other truck-cab based vehicles that have the way extended front ends and little or no beds attached. These extended wheelbase vehicles are also often the ones you see with dual rear wheels, rebar spider webs, and tractor grille shells. Not what we want at Symco.

They are the reason for the rule eliminating the newer truck-cab based vehicles inside the show area. Over the years doing this show, we have seen that the newer truck cab based vehicles are the main offenders when it comes to being overly ornate art-cars, aka rat rods.