Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects best welding hood for auto restoration work Need recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hashmat, Nov 17, 2020.

1. leon bee

leon bee

The Lincoln branded auto dark one I just got, for it's batteries it takes 2 AAA in a little compartment right at hand. The cheapo one I'm throwing away, tore it apart and never did find any batteries. Sticking it out in the sun wasn't working any more.

2. gene-koning

gene-koning

Over 25 years in the business, I've had a lot of welding helmets over the years.

The cheap ones get you when the battery dies. There are several different sets of headgear. Each have a different feel and position the helmet differently. The headgear is probably more then 1/2 of if a guy likes a helmet or not. Cheap helmets usually have cheap headgear.

My current helmet is a Hobart, the helmet is good, the headgear sucks. My next helmet will have a "clear view" lens and a good headgear.

The biggest deal with any welding helmet is to keep the lens clean and scratch free.

One more thing about wearing glasses, if you have glasses that darken with the sunlight, they can also darken when your welding. Invest in a good pair of clear lens safety glasses and save your daily glasses for when your not working in the metal shop. Plastic lens street glasses don't fare well around grinding sparks. And when your welding, put on the damn welding gloves and sleeves! Gene

3. Ok Sir,

On your fine recommendation I did some research & ordered the Lincoln Viking 3350! Even though My red HF helmet still worked (& have NEVER had a battery issue) the head mount has had a broken nob on one side causing it not to lock in place. I was welding a couple of days ago & after cussing at it a few times, I told myself...you need to get a new one. I was just going to order another HF Red, but everything I have read (& your recommendation ) about the Clear View Technology led me to buy the 3350!!! Of course I could have bought probably 4 of the HF reds for what I paid, but if I can see better when welding, it should make my welds look better!

God bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

ekimneirbo likes this.
  4. Its been several years since I bought it but I got mine from the guys at HTP welders. I think they call themselves USA Weld / HTP America now. Batteries are replaceable and its been a good unit.

5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Thanks for taking what I said to heart. I only suggest/recommend something like this because I truly like this helmet better than any helmet I have had. The price isn't cheap, but it also isn't as high as many other helmets. When you get it, I hope you will respond again with your thoughts on the helmet. Good/Bad/Indifferent, give your honest opinion!

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  6. Ok Sir,

The helmet arrived! First I have to say that "The Welding Store" shipped this think lightening fast! Ordered on Wednesday morning, arrived Friday late day!

I am sold that the Lincoln Viking 3350 is definitely an upgrade. It fits my head better & I was surprised at how much easier it was to see what you are doing. The only drawback I could see is the fact that is is heavier, but no big deal. Thank you for an honest review of the product!

I am not however poo-pooing the HF red helmet for the OP. For someone just starting out & not knowing for sure yet if he wants to do this stuff a lot, the price of the HF helmet makes it a prudent purchase. I may feel differently if I thought the "red" helmet was unsafe for my eyes, but it works & I used mine for years. I will keep it around for when friends come out & want a demonstration of MIG welding.

God Bless & Happy Thanksgiving!
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    ekimneirbo and dirty old man like this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Here's my HF helmet. Battery died a couple years ago, followed a youtube video on soldering in a 9v battery. Talk about a cheap SOB. Been working great ever since. At my school we have Miller helmets but they don't seem any better.

The Clear View sounds interesting...maybe Santa will bring me one.

20201122_153417_resized.jpg

Bill's Auto Works and leon bee like this.