Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to strip a car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thechondro, Mar 11, 2010.

1. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Ditto
    Doing my 28 and no stripper would touch it. Takes about 2 hrs to do a 3 x 3 area with the wrapped wire on a grinder but gets it pretty clean. I go over it with 180 then and prime it.
    Wear lots of lung protedtion and you will lose a tone of skin if you bump any flesh, experience!
    jim

2. Caddux

Caddux
    from SoCal I.E

I use this type on a bench grinder and it works great .

I completely stripped the roof of my 56 caddy in about 30 minutes all the way down to the metal with a disc grinder and a multilayer emory cloth sanding disc, works great and doesnt dammage metal. Angle grinder $20 bucks . Grinding discs $10 bucks. for less than 50 bucks and 2-3 hours you can get it done easy and ready for primer. with the stripper you still have to prep the surface for primer adheasion

3. shainerman

shainerman

Where do you get those purple discs. Im about to have to strip my new roof and im wanting to explore more ideas than normal grinding discs.

4. Donnda

Donnda

Ditto Where do you get them?
    Donn

5. x3 curious where to get em and the price

6. Caddux

Caddux
    from SoCal I.E

harbor freight for about 8 bucks . easy pressure is the trick , it will grind metal

7. Caddux

Caddux
    from SoCal I.E

8. which ever way you go the key thing is to get rid of all the rust.. and a wire wheel will not do it..and I'm skeptical on grinding it off - although I see plenty of people grinding away at their bodies and with good results..but for how long... but for me it's blasting or dipping.... you got to start with a good fondation if you want it to last..

9. shainerman

shainerman

I like the looks of that flap disc. I really just have surface rust to tackle on mine. Im going to grind it, DA it then primer it. That should be good for a nice even surface?

10. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Great info guys thanks keep it up

11. thechondro

thechondro
    from silverlake

Can u put that in one of those small ryoby angle grinders u get from home depot?

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best way to strip a car is to have someone else do it for you. That way the mess stays in their shop. :) I like media blasting best.

13. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Man you ain't kiddin! I did a 57 Nomad with those once. I was pulling half inch pieces of wire out of my body. :eek:

14. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

I buy these locally at the NAPA store that is also a paint supplier.

They charge $14.00 bucks a piece. I used 6 of them to completely strip a 68 Plymouth Satellite to bare metal. Maybe seven but who's counting?

Get this.....Made in USA 3M Scotch Brite 33194

Figure 10 of them for $120.00 bucks or so 3 or 4 guys with electric grinders and 4 hours or so and your car will be naked.

I did it because my compressor wouldn't keep up with DA or sand blaster.

Bonus is colorful boogers.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=54852

Attached Files:

15. Ralph

Ralph

I agree with orange54. The 3m strip-it discs are great for the outer sheetmetal.
    http://www.shop3m.com/61500187564.html
    Faster than aircraft stripper gel, and a more complete job. I tried both ways last week. Had to go over the part I did with the aircraft stripper gel with the 3m disc to finish the job properly, cause the gel left little areas behind.Wear a mask, though. they make lotsa dust.
    Ralph

16. spobanz

spobanz

3m "Bristle disk's" are pretty handy, they have a bunch of little stiff fingers with some grit impregnated in, sold in grits starting at 50. These discs do not really heat the steel at all. They sell a roloc version on the cheap in 1, 2, 3, and maybe 4 inch. Eastwood has a pricey version that connects to a fixed right angle grinder if you don't have a big compressor.
    [​IMG]

17. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Start by pouring a lot of alcohol in the radiator .LOL couldn't resist.good luck on the strip

18. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

19. bobjob55

bobjob55

best way to strip a car is to leave in in east L.A ..or any other major city ............ sorry ,, i couldn't resist........

20. you beat me to that comment... I knew it was coming though.

I trained a small army of ants to eat paint and rust, in about a day there are done. works great! ;)

but seriously rapid strip discs all the way fellas

21. thechondro

thechondro
    from silverlake

Oh man, That was a good one! very true. West LA 2.

22. thechondro

thechondro
    from silverlake

If only life were that easy? Get me some ants!

23. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

4 free tows up to 100 miles. I used all 4 free tows on my chevy. :D

24. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

AFRO DISCS! I stripped a 62 ford galaxie with about 12 of them and the galaxie is a boat!

25. Get her drunk and play some sexy music !!! >>>>.

26. thechondro

thechondro
    from silverlake

I have AAA and they said it had to be a emergency to qualify! I even have the plus! :mad:

27. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

I use an 8" mud eater and 80 grit da paper. No chemical mess to cleanup or seaping out of cracks.

28. thechondro

thechondro
    from silverlake

So I started the job. Went the way of stripping it by drill and whatever I could find. to put in it. Tried the ones that 3m makes that looks like black noodles. (sell em at autozone) Those truly r slow. Ive Got like 3 coats of paint plus rust to get through. Wire wheels which I dont use cous there kinda iffy with the needles flying out an all. And a friend from school sold me some wheels he got that come in orange, blackish-grey, and possibly other colors. (sorry forgot the name on em) Ill check it and get back. But these seemed to work the best on rust. I would like to try the purple one, but nobody told me if it would fit in a small angle grinder or not. Otherwise I would have bought one already. Or even the braided one that david was talkin about.

29. 7d4gto

7d4gto

ive looked everywhere for nthese purple disc anyone know where to get them wanting to strip my rust infected car !!???

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a couple of spots in my town where you can park it and the locals will strip it for you.;)