Register now to get rid of these ads!

best way to roll flat bar into a hoop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sealed Power, May 25, 2010.

1. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I need to roll some 1/4 thick by 1 inch wide flat iron into a 22 inch diameter circle.

What would be the best way to do this? Needs to be pretty accurate and repeatable. I need multiples of the same piece.

I have a slip roll for sheet metal but nothing that will roll 1/4. Will a roller produce accurate repeatable parts or is there a better way?

I looked at various benders and hydraulic type rollers and presses online but don't really have any experience with any of them

Can any of you guys can offer suggestions for the type bender or roller that would best.

Pictures and or links would be great!

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

3. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

4. pool

pool

I can't recall a brand name but try searching for a hydraulic ring roller.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

there are less expensive ones out there, not sure they'd do 1/4" more than once, but I know that one works. A buddy that does signs has one. In the grand scheme of things a grand isn't much for quality. If it's not something you're gonna use regularly then I'd just find someone with one to do the piece you need.

6. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I've looked at these but never used one.

Are they pretty accurate?

Once it's set up can you just run the pieces over and over or does it have to be re adjusted after each piece?

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've got a small one I use for sheet metal and small rod. I set it up and roll out as many as I want they're pretty damn close. And it's a cheepy. My buddy that has the nice one uses it in production work. Sets it up and just keeps rolling them.

8. I have one of those. It all depends on how much bend is in the bar. The tighter the radius you have, the less you can just push it through without adjusting. Good thing though is it only takes seconds to make hops even with adjusting.

9. Baileigh has a thread going on ring rollers. check there or buy one of his--an alliance vendor.

Movin/on

10. howco

howco

Any metal shop will do it for you.......for a price!!!