Register now to get rid of these ads!

best way to press on an SFI harmonic balancer on a motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Thunderboy, May 16, 2013.

1. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

trying to reinstall an SFI harmonic balancer on a Ford 302 engine where i needed to replace the timing chain and other stuff.
    pulling it was easy with the puller but i lightly tried to use the crank bolt to drive it back in and it is chewing up the threads on the crank bolt so i stopped and we picked up a new bolt and i will chase the threads in the morning.

i was using my Ingersol impact gun to drive it in, can this be why the threads were starting to screw up?

this is a standard balancer with a keyway slot. is there a special tool i need because my local Napa rents tools and they said they never saw a balancer installer ever.

2. fordor41

fordor41

I clean the snout of the crank with steel wool, lightly oil and start it being sure to align the key in the keyway. Once it's started the bolt should push it in place.

3. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

If you chase the threads in the crank and get them in good shape try using some threaded rod and screw it all the way into the crank. Then put your balancer on and use a large washer and a nut and run the balancer up on the crank. Good luck......

4. Markgyver

Markgyver

There is actually a tool made for the job.

Last edited: May 16, 2013

5. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Gotta love Proform.... They got their hands in everything it seems.....

6. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

wow im surprised these dummies at my Napa never saw one of these tools all this is a larger version of a pulley press tool for a PS pump. Unreal. I need to call around and take a drive outside the area to pick one up. I am more inclined to buy this for my toolbox.

7. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

also guys the engine is assembled and on a stand, whats a safe way to lock the rotating assembly from spinning?

8. Keep

Keep

If you use the tool, it has a spot where you can use a wrench to keep the engine from turning over.

If you do end up with the install tool. Use plenty of lube on the surfaces of the bolts/washers, they can be a bitch to install sometimes.

9. You hadnt :rolleyes:

10. fiddy

fiddy

Use a buddy with a pry bar stuck in the ring gear to keep the engine from turning..... its only the wrong way if it doesn't work

11. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

my local Napa rents tools and they said they never saw a balancer installer ever.[/QUOTE]

really??? I thought every self respecting engine builder had one.

12. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

really??? I thought every self respecting engine builder had one.[/QUOTE]

Damn I have one in my tool box sure makes for an easy install

13. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

you must hone it out
    I used to run a fluidampr
    .0008 "fitted

14. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

Assuming you have the correct press-fit, you can heat the hub in oil (on a single burner electric stove) and slide it on most of the way by hand.

We do them this way all the time.

It will go far enough to allow the installer to "finish-it-off" so to speak. We've had many go all the way on by hand!

As I say, you do need the correct press-fit though, usually about .001"!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I know some shops have used water also, the issue with the water it boils too early. I believe Summit recommends this "water" procedure. The oil will reach a higher temp!

15. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

WTF-beg,borrow or buy a balancer installer :confused: they are not that spendy, try not to be a hack:mad: a job worth doing is a job worth doing the right :rolleyes:ask yourself would you use an impact on your manhood:confused:no way i would !

16. Depends on what I was trying to do with it :D

17. i had one for a 440 and it needed to be honed as mentioned above. there was no way it was going on without machine work first. if it came with directions read them. check summit and jegs for a installer. its a large bolt that threads into the crank a large nut and washer are threaded onto the bolt. while holding a wrench on the bolt you turn the nut with another wrench pushing on the washer that pushes the balancer. they go on nice and straight. no hammer needed.

18. aaggie

aaggie

I bought a kit from Speedway that both removes and installs the balancers. It has all the adapters to fit almost any engine and it works really well. I think it was about $75 a few years ago.