Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to go about fixing this ! Help !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -slim-, Nov 14, 2007.

1. -slim-

-slim-
    from Montreal

Hi , I'm quit new at this and i would like to know what would be the way to repair this big dent ! Would buying a AUTOBODY STUD WELDER GUN SPOT & DENT PULLER be my Best option for this kind of repair ?

Thanks for your help in advance !

[​IMG]

2. dbradley

dbradley

I would think you would have access from inside the door. But, 90% of the people on this site would just replace the door.

3. -slim-

-slim-
    from Montreal

Unfortunately spare part are quit hard to find In Montreal, Quebec , Canada ! And from what i can see for the back side of the door there is not much room to get at it ! I don't seem to have too many options on my side .

4. Rand Man

Rand Man

What model of car is that? Left rear door of a '50 Chev, Merc? Another angle would be good. Also another door might be good.

5. If you can not find a replacement door, then your best bet is to cut the damaged outer skin off at a point above where it is damaged, grind the 2 sides and the bottom to break through the "wrap around" and remove the outer skin. Straighten the damaged inner structure, and either make or have made a new outer skin to be grafted into place and welded to the good peice of outer skin that was not removed. The current door is damaged too much, and the metal stretched too severely to repair it.

6. David Totten

David Totten

It is a big job but it can be done. And by the time yu are done you should have learned something. Start by cutting out the inner panel with a coutoff wheel so yu have access to the skin.

7. Andy

Andy

I would take it to a profesional. It is not as bad as it looks. Most of it will pop back out if the the creases are relieved. A good man can get 95% in a half hour. Watch what he does and learn. If parts are tough to get,then this is not the time for learning on the job. Get another dented part to experiment on.

8. brewsir

brewsir

Yep...thats an awefully big dent to learn on....but for someone with experience it can probably be straightened out enough to work with a lil bondo!

9. -slim-

-slim-
    from Montreal

Thanks for all the advice Guys .Much appreciated !!

P.s The car is a 1953 Pontiac !

10. -slim-

-slim-
    from Montreal

Here is an update of the repair i started .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Slim,

Ya done a pretty good job of roughin' out that Chevrolet door.
    I've seen guys with" some experance" really screw up a panel
    like that with that much damage.

When you bump out (technical term for pounding damage) a dent,
    you want to try and not do any more damage, to the panel, by
    stretching the panel any more than it already is. This is done by the
    careful use of a dolly, spoon, pry rod or in some cases a piece of
    wood. Almost never with the end or a pick hammer, crow bar and
    NEVER with a ball pein hammer.
    Again, a great start!

Swankey Devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

12. -slim-

-slim-
    from Montreal

Hey thanks for the useful tips ! I'll try those techniques to refine the work i started . It's was my first attempt at this kind of repair ! Thanks again for the help !

13. Lucky_mtl

Lucky_mtl
    from Montreal

nice shot of the case of moosehead beer there !! hahah

nice job !! ( i helped you a little bit ;)

but for an unheated garage , a ball peen hammer and dolly and a paint striping heat gun...not bad !!

it was worth giving it a shot .... now going to hunt for a new door is totally out of the question.

14. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I had one similar though not so bad as yours. I cut out the skin from the bottom to top of damage, rectangular in shape (so it's easy to refit new metal). I then hand formed the new steel (using a parking bollard) to the shape needed. I welded the new metal into place.

From my experience with it, be VERY VERY VERY careful and go slowly on the welds. I went too quickly and the new sheet metal oil canned, creating much more work to get it back into shape.

It is very difficult to get to the back side of that metal and I have cuts on my forearms to prove it trying to keep a dolly on the backside of welds/dents to work the metal straight.

As someone mentioned, replace the whole door if you can.

15. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Looks like you are whippin it's a$$ pretty good.Keep hammering with dolly nd you can probably get it a little straightr so you can fill and smooth. Looks like you are doing pretty damn good! Thanks, BOBBY FORD

16. -slim-

-slim-
    from Montreal

More updates !
    Working on the front driver side door !It was as badly dented as the back door But still needs lot of work . Unfortunately i don't have a before picture of it . I only thought of getting the camera after i started the work ! It seem that this door may have been replaced already because it has trim holds in it.The other 3 doors do not have any holes or repairs to fill the trim holes .

The one repair i did see was what was over the holes on this door .It seem the owner or who ever did the repair put metalized muffler tape over the holes then put lots of bondo over it to cover it up instead of welding the holes .

Oh and thank for your help again '' Lucky-MTL'' and my Bro !

Here are some pictures !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]