Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best way to get into hot rodding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Straight30weight, Jan 8, 2018.

1. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

2. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

3. topher5150

topher5150

Reminds me of when we were car shopping for my wife. If I couldn't fit in it she wasn't getting it.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  4. 35-40 Fords are still hot rods & equally good looking.
    Aren't they a little bigger inside?
    It all boils down to "how badly do you want an early thirties coupe?"
    I have a 50 coupe & the big guy on the bike could fit in that. I think.?

5. There’s definitely a shoebox ford in the future as well. But this go around, I really want to do an A.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. RDE

RDE

Lots of ways to get into Hot Rodding...................One pretty common method is to start with a double barreled money gun!

7. I hear you man, I have always wanted a Model A, Deuce or 33-34 coupe myself.
    These cars are the first thing I think of when someone says Hot Rod.
    I'm even the right size, 5'8".
    My restriction is cash & abilities.
    I can't justify spending 30-40K + for a finished one or the same to have someone build me one out of a rusty carcass, which is what you mostly find around here.
    If I were to find a reasonably priced running, driving, restored coupe then I would think about it.
    Like many have suggested, you could drive it & change it as you see fit.
    As we age we get shorter, so maybe you will grow into it.
    Don't give up, where there is a will there is a way.

8. gene-koning

gene-koning

I had an old guy tell me that if your going to build a rod, get started! He said that I would build at least 3 cars before I figured out what I really wanted. As much as I objected to that idea, he was right!

You want a 30 coupe. Go buy the best restored car you can afford and have at it. Modify it and build the picture in your mind.

After you have driven it a while, you will get the idea what things will need to be different, so you buy the best example of that you can find, and build it to your new vision. You can nearly always get most of your money back out of the 30 if you decide to sell it.

Then, after driving the new ride for a while, you will probably get a new vision, and you do that. Each vision will get you closer to the one. Sometimes you can short circuit the process, but usually it takes 3 cars to get to the one. Get started. Gene

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  9. Thanks guys, I’m getting pretty excited about it. What should I expect to pay for a running driving stock Tudor? Coupe? I’m looking around and prices are varying. I’m pretty sure I want to start with a completely stock car and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

48fordnut and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  11. JimSibley

JimSibley

Buy the biggest pile of crap, spend way to much on it , that way you will have to finish it to get your money back!

Squablow and forty1fordpickup like this.
  12. This is actually great advice lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've done this for years. You don't ever really ever get your money back.

There is a uniquely adventures quality to the fact that your pretty free to try whatever you want to with a car when you can't really hurt its value. I tend to really enjoy my rides. My only rule is to try to make it better then it was. Starting with junk makes the goal of making it a better car pretty easy to achieve, starting point pictures keeps things in the proper perspective for you and others. I shoot for a safe and reliable ride then drive the wheels off of them. Perfection is a lofty goal, but it is also a stressful goal reached by few. I can't afford perfection, so a fun ride is my goal. Gene

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  14. Put your general location in your profile. That way people can point you to local events to help you decide what you want. Carry a camera even if it is a cheap one or a cell phone. Take pictures and post them for comments.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  15. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I had a Volvo powered t roadster that had a belly pan and tons of room,fast fwd I wanted a A roadster pick up. Built it.I'm 6' ,didn't have much leg room, around town driver. Traded it for my avatar, it's a 120 mile car. Still too small. Had a couple of Fed and they were built to me. Hard to get into, but once inside very comfortable. Get out to a show, some one will let you into their car. Build what you want.