Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best Way To Fill New Radiator & Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southerncad, Aug 23, 2017.

1. southerncad

southerncad

Kinda’ a newby question, but I don’t want to end up with any air pockets in the block.
    I am putting a new three row aluminum radiator in my ’49 and want to make sure I get all of the air out of the block....so what’s the best way to burp the system IF you don’t have one of those fancyass funnel things...any help greatly appreciated

KustomKreeps and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. If it's got a heater, I'll take the highest heater hose loose to let air out. I'll remove the thermostat and fill the engine to the top and let it sit for a minute....refill and put the thermostat in and start filling the radiator till water runs out the heater hose...if it's higher than the radiator fill I'll fill the radiator 'till the tank's full and put a few inches in the overfill tank. start the engine and let it run while waiting for coolant to run out of the upper heater hose. When it does, I hook it back up and tighten the clamp. I keep a container of coolant close by and run the engine while keeping the top tank almost full. When the thermostat opens, the level will drop and you'll see coolant running inside the radiator. refill the top tank 'till it's about and inch below the fill...done.

3. southerncad

southerncad

Thanx for the info Rocky, but not heater yet!

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Run it into the radiator very very very slow. At the 3 gallon limit start the engine and get the pumps turning. Continue slowly, finishing up the fill.

5. Drill the 1/8 inch hole in the tstat flange. Use a radiator pressure checking tool and pump to 8-10 lbs. let it set for several minutes. Add water and do it again.

olscrounger likes this.
  6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

There is a filling system used for new cars that works very well. It pulls the system under a vacuum using compressed air and then uses the vacuum to pull the coolant into the system.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mix your coolant with distilled water too. On our race cars we have a petcock on the Thermo housing.