Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to clean DP-90

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wrenchbender54, Apr 23, 2006.

1. I've had the '54 in DP-90 for over 8 years now. It looked great right out of the booth, but after a year or three, it got that chalky look to it. Since then, I've tried a few different ways to get that shean back. First it was Old No. 7. That worked ok, but it was a lot of work. Next was Turbo Cut, that worked good, but didn't last. Then I went to JB-80 (you can also use WD-40, PB Blaster, etc...). Just wash the car, then spray it on a shop rag and wipe the car down. This will give you that "wet" look. I've found it to work best if you rub it on, then follow with a clean rag and wipe off all of the excess. Biggest problem with this is, it turns your car into a dust magnet. But it repels rain well.:D
    Today I discovered that 0000 steel wool, and some elbow grease, works better than anything. It takes plenty of rubbin', but it brought back the shine. Oh yeah, and every imperfection in the paint job.

2. rdachsdog

rdachsdog
    from michigan

Could always scuff it down and shoot another coat, but since you've sprayed it with JB80, might not be such a good idea now.

3. 8flat

8flat

I would probably wet-sand it, with a fine grit paper like 1,000 or 1200 grit, then a quick polish. This will take off the old surface layer that is pretty much shot by now, primer isn't made to hold up to UV rays that well.....

I always wanted to try simply shooting 2 coats of clear over primer, with a small amount of gloss-reducer added. That would make it last for years.

4. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

i've heard of people using pledge on suede cars to help seal and shine

5. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

I would use pledge furniture polish once in a while on mine to keep it looking fresh, worked great.

6. oddbald

oddbald
    from NH

A nice finish that won't chalk is Dupont Hot Hues Hot Rod Black. It's a Urethane top coat, not an epoxy primer and stays satin for the long haul.