Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best vendor for 28-29 cowl panels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XtechX, Nov 17, 2018.

1. XtechX

XtechX
    from Edmore, MI

I need a new set of cowl panels for my 29 coupe, who has or makes the best quality ones?
    I would assume it would be Brookville roadsters, but they want over $300 a side!!
    Thought about forming my own by buying a tipping die but I don't know.
    What are your experiences with these type of panels?
    Thanks X

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Snyders, Brattons and Bert's are probably your best bet straight up.
    With some parts I figure them as the best of the bad lot.
    I believe that over time the quality of cowl panels has improved.
    In the old days they never seemed to have the 3rd dimensional curve installed, something that could kinder be corrected if you had access to am English wheel.

If I am not mistaken, there is an Eastwood YouTube video that demonstrates how to make your own.
    You will also need access to a bead roller and shrinker/stretcher jaws, plus the English wheel.

IMHO, Last Refuge hot rod parts at one time made really nice cowl panels (probably the best available) which I have purchased, but following recent events reported on the HAMB, I would be unable to recommend you deal with them now.

Then there is Howell's and my personal experience with these guys has left me unwilling to even go back to them again for more grief.