Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best time to sell an old car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RC Kid, Nov 4, 2012.

1. RC Kid

RC Kid
    from Alabama

I have an old Plymouth and i want to sell it. When is the best time to sell an old car? Spring?

Thanks

2. sawzall

sawzall

When you have a buyer

3. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Best time to sell is when it is not for sale and somebody offers you "stupid money" for it. Then it's time to sell.......

4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

tax return time, just before CHRISTMAS, and at a car show.
    so ask $286,924,00 dollars and tell em the offer they make for 50bucks will be rejected.
    it took me two adds in a local paper one time to sell a 55 chevy,
    they just could not GRA$$P the offer concept ...

:cool:

5. Agreed!!.....its always warm somewhere....people are always lookin!

6. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I have got more cars by asking to BUY them, when they WERE NOT being offered for sale...

:cool:

7. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I agree with Sawzall

8. The best time MIGHT be now, what's the story on the Plymouth? Pics would be nice.

9. racemad55

racemad55

An oldtimer told me " there's an ass for every seat"

10. A Rodder

A Rodder

Sure as hell wasn't last week on ebay .........

11. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

between 4:30 and 5:00

12. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

LOL... pure genius in 5 simple words.

13. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Anytime if the price is right,i find if you detail a car nomatter what cond it is,it will sell quick!

14. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Selling a car is always interesting because what you want for it and what you are going to get for it will always be two very different things!!!

The good news is you only need one live wire to sell it to but sometimes that could take months or even years depending on the condition and how much in a hurry you are to sell it.

Turkey Run is coming up soon and I have friends who will purchase a car on either Thursday or Friday and have it sold before Sunday rolls around.

Jimbo

15. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

When you don't want to or don't need the money!

16. At night, in the rain....;)

17. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

when you need a case of beer, a pizza, and awild party

18. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Is it a project car? If so, I'd say NOW is the time. Somebody who needs a winter project may want it.

19. RC Kid

RC Kid
    from Alabama

The car is super nice, I was hoping to sell it. Did some work on it to make it road worthy, and it runs like a champ. Has some real cool mechanical features as well. Real neat braking system along with the Hydrive transmission.

I guess I'll hold onto it until the spring.

20. RC Kid

RC Kid
    from Alabama

Here's a picture of the car.

Attached Files:

21. Best time of the year to sell a special interest car is from around Memorial Day till the Fourth of July. Take that as gospel from an old used car dealer.

You can sell it any time, but you asked for the best time.

22. I'm going to be a little more serious here than others and offer some solid advice.

If it's a builder then now is the time to sell. People want projects this time of year so they can work on them over the winter and drive them come spring. No one really buys a project in the sunny months unless it's dirt cheap.

Now if the car is a show piece or at least a desent driver then spring time is when you will sell. This is because people are looking for something to drive for the summer. Not too many people want to buy a nice car this time of year only to put it away for 6 months before they can enjoy it unless, again, it's dirt cheap.

Seeing that your car falls in the latter category I'd wait till spring unless you're willing to sell it at a bargin basement price.

23. slim tempo

slim tempo

When someone offers you more $ than you have into it.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If your advertising it nationally, NOW! All the advice about winter and projects and such is great if you're east of the Missippi, but we just dragged our cars out of storage and are starting to drive again after an occuresedly long summer hibernation. Nobody with a running car is in their shop right now!

25. Gerrys

Gerrys

when snow is gone and school is out.

26. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

When you don't want to sell a car people will be all over you with offers. When you Do want to sell it, you are screwed. Same concept goes for women as it does with cars, you want them they don't want you, you already have one they all want you. It's a sick twisted reverse perverse psychology game.

27. That depends, do you want to just dump it, or get something close to what it's worth?

28. And you don't want it any more.

Around herr the best time to sell a project used to be in the fall because that gave the buyer all winter to try and make it into a car, they used to sell running cars in the spring as soon as there was a nice day to drive around.

Anymore the rules have pretty much changed sell a car when you can to whomever you can. I just sold an old project of mine and didn't even have to advertise it, just let the word get out that I may sell it.