Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best street cam for a 390 FE?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Exactly.

Nothin like the sound of a properly tunned engine. Even a properly tunned stocker sounds better than one that is all noise and no zot.

I thought I didn't like you but I may change my mind before all is said and done. Not that it will make your life any better. ;)

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats two for two.:eek::D maybe the guys you THINK you think like on first impression arent the guys you REALLY think like...:D

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ok, did a couple quick syms in Engine Analyzer to illustrate the effects of changing the lda from 108 to 110. This is with the 236@050 .572/108 Crane I recommended. I wouldnt take the gross numbers too much to heart, as I really had to make some guesses about the flow characteristics of that funky old Edelbrock intake, I would look more at the changes due to the different LDA's. I used some flow numbers a buddy sent me for a stock set of C8AE-H heads. My C1AE's have had the bottom of the port filled with epoxy, the roof ground out, huge bowls, and alot of work above the short side and around the guide bosses, so they wouldn't be realistic for what you are doing. I set the compression ratio at 10/1.

Pk Tq.--------Pk Hp.-----idle vac-crank.comp.
    108 417@3100 409@5800 10.4 165
    110 395@3000 391@5600 13.3 159

Now I now some "milder is better" guy is gonna get all fired up by the fact that the wider lda made pk tq 100 rpm lower. The 108 LDA made 403 ft lbs at 3000, so much for that. Really, these munbers are probably not far off what you should expect if you build a REAL 10/1 motor with this cam, and with 165 psi cranking and 3.91 gears, this thing would be ok on 92, although, I would guess being in Canada, you probably have chevron 94 like I do.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  4. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

its your car/engine/money,,,if you want a thumpr type idle it is your choice,,,different strokes for different folks,,,i like simple single patern cams (same duration and lift on intake and exhaust) with 108 LC and about 220 to 230 duration at ..050 lift,,, but that is just me,,, lots of folks love their thumpr cams in both sound and performance...like i said your car/engine/money

It's your thang,,,do what yu wanna do,,,I cant tell you who to sock it to...its your thang

FORD 390 V8 WITH THUMPER CAM YOU TUBE VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufKLS451l_0

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  5. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

I agree, thats why me and most folks love engines with computer control and fuel injection, along with computor controled cam timing. carburated engines will never be in as good a tune (fuel and spark settings ) as a car with efi.

6. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

"thumper type idle" is reverse logic- a thumper cam lets a mild engine pretend it has hair on its chest- so it's posing behind a pseudo-race car idle
    potatopotatopotatopotatopotato :rolleyes:

7. Diavolo

Diavolo

Don't knock potato-potato. There are thousands in my town that love the sound of an "American V-twin". Best way to turn fuel into noise with out the annoying side effect of power.:rolleyes: They don't like it when I beat them...

8. FityFive

FityFive

I run a Comp Cam Thumper in my 390 FE. The motor is .030 over, has flat top pistons (L2291Fs), Sanderson headers, Edelbrock intake, carb (600), and cylinder heads as well as a DUI distributor. Prior to the Thumper Cam, I had the following Speedpro cam in the motor which I was told was near the same specs as a 66 GT390 :
    <O:p</O:p

Intake Exhaust<O:p</O:p
    .050 Dur. 214 224<O:p</O:p
    SAE Dur. 292 302<O:p</O:p
    Cam Lift .295 .310<O:p</O:p
    Valve Lift .510 .536<O:p</O:p
    Lobe Ctrs 107 117<O:p</O:p
    Lash Hyd<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    There is a major difference in performance between the two cams. I feel that the Thumper Cam has way more torque and power than the Speedpro Cam!

My friend, who helped me put the motor together, was a former factory ford sponsored drag racer (1966 427 Fairlane). He is also good friends with Willy who owns Willy’s carburetor and we are supposed to take my truck (1955 F100) down to his shop to put it on the dyno. When I do, I will post the results. <O:p</O:p

9. EZrider

EZrider
    from Waco, TX

About 4 yrs ago I rebuilt my tired 360 FE in my old '71 F100. I had it bored .060 & put in a new cam & kit. I used a Mellings RV grind. Don't remember the specs, but I'm happy with it. Didn't hurt the fuel mileage any either, (it's always been low, 10-14 mpg). cam is hydraulic & not expensive $. also have a C-6 auto in it.
    Bob

"I've spent most of my money on beer, whiskey & women, and wasted the rest":D

Attached Files:

10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

That ain't potatopotato, that's tatadunk-tatadunk LOL- I have four Indians and a Ducati, but I guess the Indian Four doesn't count, hey sound more like a tractor. And the Ducati desmo doesn't really run good until about 5500 rpm, and it'll go to 10,000 with ease- and it's a "touring" model Duke. Around these parts a potato cam is one that is just big enough to make a little noise without making any real power, just a little lope.

I have no doubt that that Thumper probably makes more power than that Speed-Pro GT copy cam- the GT cam ain't very strong and is a smog cam, it doesn't take much to outdo it. Doesn't change the fact that the Thumper is specifically designed to make an engine "sound" nastier than it is- the ultimate poser cam, and blatantly marketed as such. If you want to actually make some serious power, you pick something else that's timed "normally", and go fast. If you just want youe engine to sound "bad", put a Thumper in it, and don't tell anybody- and as long as you just cruise around, you'll pull it off ;)

"COMP Cams® designed the Thumpr™ series of camshafts to deliver the meanest-sounding idle on the block
    Featuring specially engineered profiles for each unique engine, these camshafts provide the perfect combination of an early intake valve opening, long exhaust duration and a generous amount of intake and exhaust overlap to maximize your engine’s nasty-idling characteristics without negatively impacting streetability"

Just pose, baby :cool:

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So much for having any kind of meaningful discussion about valve timing on the HAMB. Clearly, I am wasting my time with this stuff. Gene, LOVE the Ducks. My dad has a '72 750 GT and a mint bought new '67 250 desmo.

12. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

All the dude asked, was what cam to use, jeeez

13. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

So what's a good brand of cam to use? What kind of lift can you put in a stock motor?