Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best source for parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slack, Apr 25, 2017.

1. slack

slack

I need plug wires for a 48 Ford. I ordered some and got jerked around for 2 weeks (still unresolved). My question is: Where is the best place (with minimal difficulty) to get old Ford parts? The initial problem I had was dealing with a broker of sorts who had no control over what got sent where (ugh) so now I'm trying to avoid that scenario.

2. on a`48 ford Flathead i would probably make my own

who is that supplier?

3. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

Are you running them through the original tubes?

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I wanted old school looking wires for the 8ba in my '39 I found what I thought was a perfect set from Shoe Box Central. Long story short they never arrived and Shoe Box refunded my money no problem. Turns out the wires where from the Hoffman Group who are now on my short list of from whom NEVER to buy anything from. I ended up ordering bulk wire on line and attaching my on ends. As for other parts everyone has their own list of favorites but I've always had good luck with Joe's Antique Auto in Mass., C&G in Escondido, CA and the early Ford Store in San Dimas, CA. of course there are other suppliers with good reps as well. I use Mac's as a last resort but I did order a head liner for my p'u and have no complaints about it.

slack likes this.

5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Speedway sells proper metal core plug wire and ends for it by the foot.

slack likes this.
  6. I buy a lot from C & G Ford, super service and reasonable shipping.

Automotive Stud and slack like this.
  7. slack

slack

Hey Bill. If you're talking about the "V" configuration that comes off the double decker dizzy, then yes. And I've never done it before but it looks self explanatory. Do you think that will be an issue? Is it tough?

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  8. slack

slack

I ordered some this morning from one of Mac's people at Van Pelts. I thought his was just another slick avatar and a reference source. I didn't know he sold parts. I'm slow but I like to think I'm worth waiting for.:rolleyes:

9. slack

slack

Oh, I'll let you know, as soon as I get my money back. Looooong sad story. I always thought there was a list on here of who NOT to deal with. I was mistaken but why not have a shit list of sorts? One that names names of those with multiple infractions.

10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use Mac's as a last resort but I did order a head liner for my p'u and have no complaints about it.[/QUOTE]

Clarification. When I mentioned Mac's as a last resort I was referring to Mac's Auto Parts not Mac Van Pelt. Mac Van Pelt is a wealth of information and his web site is full of great technical info as well. Sorry for any confusion.

11. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

Sounds like you are on the right track.

slack likes this.
  12. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Mac Van Pelt has a great supply of quality parts. Early Ford Store in California does also. C & G is great. What I like about these vendors is the technical info they share with there customers. Over the years I have found that using vendors that actually use the parts even though they might be a little more expensive is the way to go. Also vendors like Mac's have some good quality stuff and some junk, but all the good sales guys that could guide you left after Ecklers Group bought them. Bob Drake has some nice stuff and his wires are about the best you will find that is close to OEM.

slack likes this.
  13. slack

slack

Wires arrived from Van Pelts today with zero issues. I ordered them the day before yesterday. How's that for service?

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

I deal with Tri5- mid year sixties Chevies. Almost all reproduction parts are made in China by small children which are poor in quality and fitment. The best source of OEM parts I've found is eBay. Many times I've found parts on there I couldn't find elsewhere.

Gary

slack and Bruce Fischer like this.
  15. I bought a lot from C & G and Concours Ford Parts, never ever a scene like that. I sent something back to C & G once, not a problem. Both of them called me on my cell phone to wish me a merry Xmas one year, guess I spent a lot with them.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This is a moderately busy evening project on a '48...I would not buy a set as it is much easier to do the job with 6" or so extra wire on each piece, cut to fit once everything is done.
    An old post...go to Brillman, then:
    I do this by sliding in slightly over-length unterminated wires, longest first, into the individual holes in conduit, out the front, and through the rabbit ears on the outer cap. Mark'em, and use a battery test light to keep verifying which wire is which!
    Once they are through the outer cap, terminate the distributor ends and plug into proper holes. Once all are plugged, I start gently pulling on the other ends of the wires, going back and forth between all and getting some slight movement on each pull until everything is pulled up and the outer cap can be seated. Check from inner contacts inside main cap to ends of wires to again verify that each is still seated and you have them in proper holes...you sure don't want to discover a problem any later!
    Once all is in there, bolt the conduits to engine, cut the wires to just the length you want, and put on your plug terminals.
    Does not take all that long...but of course does raise the question of how they did it at the Rouge!
    If changing to '42 you lose some obstacles, but need either to add a couple holes in your later conduits for the crossover wires across the manifold OR cross those wires at the front of the engine above distributor and find a good way to secure them so they do not get eaten by the moving belt stuff...
    Ford went to the 59 cap, according to an announcement I found in a '46 magazine, to deter condensation that formed within the crab cap. This probably also closed off some points of direct entry for water.

(edit...not suitable for restoration, but I use bulk Packard 440 and Rajah terminals...easy to assemble and extremely durable, as well as highly traditional!)

slack likes this.
  17. slack

slack

That may be the problem. I didn't spend enough. Still haven't gotten a refund o_O.

18. slack

slack

19. slack

slack

A lot of good information in your post. Thanks Bruce