Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best sounding mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1955 F-100 guy, Jan 20, 2018.

1. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

Got a Ford 302 - 325 HP--roller cam, 4 barrel carb , going 2 1/2" exhaust what is the best mufflers to use for deep throat hot rod sound-- Thanks

Attached Files:

1Nimrod, Fern 54 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

There are 86 threads on mufflers, use the search function to look for them.
    It's the magnifying glass up top under the banner.
    KK

XXL__, Bandit Billy, bobss396 and 4 others like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

24" long Cherry Bombs...:)
    They sound oh so sweeeeet.. :eek::D:D:cool:

JeffB2 likes this.
  4. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

Classic chambered exhaust

flatheadpete, Texas Webb and Fern 54 like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a ton of threads on the subject but each engine has it's "sounds best with" muffler then you get into what sound or tone you want.
    My 71 GMC sounds great with turbos but I wouldn't run turbos on the 48 on a bet as they don't give the sound I want for it. It is getting glass packs.
    I don't like to dispute things but to me Cherry bombs are just loud with no discernible tone that makes them special. The parts house I worked in had them in a barrel over at the end of one aisle. Usually it was the Goat Ropers who wanted loud and cheap who bought them.
    Best I can suggest is go to a Ford meet and when you hear a rig with a set of pipes you really like, start asking. When you get the same answer several times for the sound you like you have your mufflers.

Jeremy Shay, brad2v and firstinsteele like this.
  6. slowmotion

slowmotion

The original turbo muffler, Walker turbo Corvair replacements. 2.5" in & out.

Elcohaulic and henryj1951 like this.
  7. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I like 30 inch glass/steel packs, So goatroper I am

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Cosmo49 and firstinsteele like this.
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

55 guy -

"Best sounding" to...who ?
    Out of 100 people, you're likely to get 50 (at least) different answers.
    Now what...it's still up to YOU...the owner, who has to listen to the sound every time you start the engine..!

Mike

1Nimrod, Bandit Billy and brad2v like this.

9. Agree^^^^^^ And- who has tried several different set-up's on their ride, and has been able to determine which they like best? One of those= this guy recommends, so it'll be good for me deals. Unless deep, and VERY deep pockets to do a muffler shootout on your OWN ride, it's a crap shoot ....... Go with what you know, and like, and hope for the best.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

108, but who's counting right.

Smithys, or Porter steel pacs.

DeLuxe 32 and egads like this.
  11. That's the only way to do it.
    I had a pile of mufflers a pile of bends and we built that exhaust system at least 40 times and got it perfect. I learned a lot of cool stuff about sound too. It really was the best sounding SBC and pipes that lots of us had ever heard. I had about 8 guys vote who I valued their opinion. Unanimous and by far the the first choice configuration was final installed and welded up. It was a bit unorthodox but really fantastic sound.
    I sold the truck and the guy re-did it. Oh well.

WC145, Blues4U and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  12. dan31

dan31

I gotta ask,whats a goat roper. Sounds serious.

13. I have no opinion, I run zoomies. I don't know a damn thing about mufflers. ;) Ok back to the muffler discussion .:)

Bugsy48, brad2v, wraymen and 3 others like this.
  14. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Like it's been said best sounding to whom and what's the heartbeat of the engine. Compression is just one factor in what the end result is, a equalizer pipe is another example of tweaking the tone.

On my 40 coupe I'm running Flowmaster Super 40's simply because I talked to the Flowmaster Rep at the Hot Rod Reunion in Bakersfield and asked him what the absolute best most popular muffler sold for a SBC....plus he gave me a 20% off coupon.

They sound great and many people have asked what they were as they liked the sound/tone.
    Your taste/opinion may be entirely different.

Some advice as to exhaust exit. If you turn them down underneath your vehicle it will rattle your brains out, every time you get off the pavement you'll look like a helicopter landing with all the dust, dirt and debris it kicks up. But if you like that, that's fine too!

Clay Belt and Fitty Toomuch like this.
  15. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

dan31 likes this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Check out the Auger style mufflers in Speedway catalog. Best sound cheapest and lightest. Just drop them in your pies and tack weld them in place last forever and never change tone. Makes your 5.0 Ford sound just like an original Shelby Cobra with the side pipes. Normal at cruise bad as at wide open.

Blues4U likes this.
  17. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Are these still available in the original form? I used them exclusively on my cars back in the day and they performed and sounded great. The term “TURBO” has been bastardized so bad that now every so called performance muffler uses the name.
    The original Corvair muffler and chambered pipes were the two best sounding exhaust out there. At one time Walker made chambered pipes for quite a few car models.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  18. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

brockman mellowtone steelpacks

19. k9racer

k9racer

in the 50s not much to chose from but the one to use was a 1949 chevy dump truck muffler. these had a good sound and were stock so the cops would not give tickets. I had them on cars powered with flathead. .cad. and split manifold 6 cyl and V 8 chevy. Then they made Thrush ..Now a days the police dont notice loud muff. I hear a lot of the new mustangs every day and no cops pull them over. I have flow masters on my 55 Y block with Reds hedders. I like the sound

mad mikey likes this.
  20. Porters website has sound videos to help you choose.

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Not sure, but I think they incorporated them into their DynoMax line. The original Walker #21348 mufflers pop up on the auction site occasionally. They are the muffler that created the whole turbo muffler frenzy. Used several sets through the years. Still running a pair on an OT in the garage. Something with decent compression makes them all the more sweeter.:D

22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I think they drive pickups.

23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Context, as they say, is everything. This should explain it.

-------------

He was born in Oklahoma
    And his wife's name is Betty Lou Thelma Liz
    He's not responsible for what he's doing
    His mother made him what he is

And it's up against the wall, redneck mother
    Mother who has raised her son so well
    He's thirty four and drinkin' in a honky tonk
    Just kickin' hippies' asses and raisin' hell!

Sure does like his Falstaff beer
    He likes to chase it down with that Wild Turkey liquor
    He drives a '57 GMC ...pickup truck
    Got a gun rack
    "A Goat Roper needs love too" bumper sticker

And it's up against the wall, redneck mother
    He's thirty four drinkin' in a honky tonk
    Kickin' hippies' asses and raisin' hell, ah pickAh play it for mama

M is for the mud flaps she gave me for my pickup truck
    O is for the oil I put on my hair
    T is for T-Bird
    H is for Haggard
    E is for Eggs
    And R is for Redneck!

Up against the wall, redneck mother
    He's thirty four and drinkin' in a honky tonk
    Kickin' hippies' asses and raisin' hell, let's go
    Yeah and it's up against the wall, redneck mother
    He's thirty four drinkin' in a honky tonk
    Kickin' hippies' asses and raisin' hell
    What's that spell, let's go get Oklahoma USA

Songwriter: Ray Wylie Hubbard

24. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Stock '90 5.0 HO in my '31 coupe. 2-1/2" stainless tube and Kook's race mufflers with dumps. WAY quieter than you would expect and will not piss off the neighbors until you hammer it. Crappy cell phone audio/video is the best I can do.

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I have a pair of the first design Borla fully welded SS muflers for my 327/350 hp Nova.
    Bought them in the late 80's, hoping they will be my favorite mufflers.

26. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a set of older stainless Edelbrock mufflers in my 56. I think they were discontinued. The sound kind of crackling but may have to do with a 11.x:1 compression ratio and long tube headers...

flyin-t and dan31 like this.
  27. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Flowmaster Super 44's. A little more subdued than a 40 or 10, but sound beautiful on both my daily and a BBF.

28. I have their 20" mufflers on my car and the sound changed for me after 4000 miles. Definitely has a good sound, much better than Flow Masters. I took a pair of Cherry Bombs off, they were just like too much BLAAAAATTTT for me.

29. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

my 347 always gets compliments, and I love how it sounds (except on long highway drives) old (as in 10 year or so) 24 inch glass packs and not a lot of bends in the pipe. theyre within 14 inches of the header collectors. sounds sexy in town and really mean when you stand on it. just the droning gets old after 4 hours on the highway. Maybe one of these days ill put carpet on the floor and hope that helps some

30. Cherry bombs

Clay Belt and JeffB2 like this.