Register now to get rid of these ads!

best rear swap for 54 3100 ad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodzz2010, May 14, 2012.

1. rodzz2010

rodzz2010
    1. A-D Truckers

What is the best rear end swap for my 54 chevy 3100 half ton highway use

2. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

its 6 lug i presume, so that kinda limits you to the later 6 lug half tone stuff. c10s or 99 and newer i think. the later has disks if thats something you want. the wheel base concerns me though on the later stuff. have you just tried to put taller gears in? or a t-5 trans swap (assuming its a 6cyl) or even a sbc/700r4 trans swap. i dont know. the info provided is pretty limited.....

3. You can even use the unmentionable rear axles..... Ni$$@n, Mizubit$i or M@zd@ the pickups and minivans are all 6 lug

4. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1/2 ton 12 bolt truck rears up to about '69 are the right width. '63-'69 had better ratio options, also many aftermarket gears available. If you want to stay 6 lug that is.

5. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

thank you for mentioning that, and not me:D

6. AZbent

AZbent

What about somebody that is going to go 5 lug? What is the original width of the truck axles? Mine gas an axle from probably a jeep, 4.56 gears. I will not run that rear in my truck, and I'm looking for options. I prefer gearing in the low to mid 3.00 range. Thanks, Mark

7. Jaguar IRS is Chevy 5 lug pattern and is a fairly simple install under these - check my workshop jobs album . Gearing is usually 3.05:1 although there are other ratios available .

8. Advance Design Trucks seem to be using rear ends with widths ranging from 58"- 62.
    I put a 89 firebird rearend under my 50. I also have disc brakes up front so my rims front and rear are 5 lug. Can't tell though cause I have hubcaps that cover them.

9. AZbent

AZbent

4t6ford that jag rear looks good and it is an option. I might go for the Jag front end and if I go that route then the IFS rear sounds good. But, right now I am leaning towards the MII front end, and I am looking for solid rear ends like bigmikes. I think an Explorer rear will fit, but I want gears that are better for cruising. I am not into racing. Big mike, any idea what the gear ratio is that ou have?

10. tradrod

tradrod

8.8 Mustang. A friend of mine got one for his 48 F-1, it had 31 spline axles, and a locker. I believe it came with a 3.25-1 ratio. But I think he changed the ratio to 3.70-1. Altogether, he had $400.00 in it, after the gear. And it had disc brakes.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  11. AZbent , the black pickup in the album has Jag IFS as well . I run Jag IFS under my '53 F100 . Just my personal opinion here but I believe they are far better suited to the mid '50s Pickups than the M11 deal . they were designed and engineered to go under a luxury sedan weighing in at approx 2 ton .... what was the M11 designed for? ... oh thats right a shitty little ecconobox designed to pick up the groceries, one bag at a time! :D

Jag IFS is an easy install, gives you big brakes , great suspension and power steer all in one hit.

12. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I use '49 axles, (in your case, '54 axles in your '54 housing) in their original housing with a '57 3.90 differential. I added a '62 3sp+od, that's .7 X 3.90 = 2.73, that's 2100 rpm at 70 miles an hour. Daily driver only vehicle the last 15 years. 75 mph all day long. That's the cheap way out, 65K miles in this configuration.

13. Too true mate.:D