Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best rattle can paint ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

What is the best rattle can paint out there? I recall using one brand that threw out a decent spray fan, pattern, but can't remember the brand name.
    Any suggestions ?

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It doesn't have the fan pattern spray tip, but I have been using lots of Rustoleum Appliance epoxy enamel lately. Warm it up a bit before you spray it and prep well underneath and it'll lay down like glass.

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      260.1 KB
      Views:
  3. atomickustom

atomickustom

The Rustoleum Appliance epoxy IS great, but only comes in a few colors (Black, White, and Almond if I remember correctly?). It holds up great and goes on well. I painted the inside of my front fenders with it several years and several thousand miles ago and it's still looking decent and no surface rust.

For other colors, Lowe's brand Valspar is great paint.
    I used to love the small cans of "auto" paint they sold at parts stores, but they've changed to bigger cans and I haven't used it since then so I don't know if it is still good. It went on nice and thin stayed nice for a looonnnggg time.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Go to Bradley's Paint Supply in Concord and grab some of their cans of paint. They can even mix you up single stage paint and put it in a can. Best i've ever used.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The mixed paint in a can deal is a good trick, and locally here in phoenix both library of paints and Space age paints offer it for about 5.00 per can. BUT, make sure that they are canning real single stage enamel and not catalized stuff. Also be sure that when you have it mixed and canned taht the reducer is correct for the current weather conditions. Case in point, on Grant's car (the picture above) we had several cans done at the begining of the summer with a slow reducer. When I got the car to use more of it, we went from typical summer days of about 115 degrees to winter of under 70 degrees... No matter what I did I could not get the paint to dry until the temp came up above 70. The fact that it was catalized enamel canned with out catalist didn't help either.

6. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

In colors I like Rustomleun but only in colors. Flat black, black, and clear I use automotive brand Dupont in cans. It is used for door jamb, bumpers and mirrors. The spray pattern is great just like out of your gun.

7. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Looks AWESOME. What primer/rust treatment are you laying down underneath that? I'm currently treating my frame with a mix of a rust removal sponge thing-a-majinger and brass wire wheel...then an application of Ospho.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just bare metal, Dupli color high build primer sanded to 400, warm the can in hot water and go. About seventy degrees out side temp.

9. braindamage

braindamage
    from Arnold Mo

Krylon. Let it dry in the sun for a day and it gets hard as a rock. They have lots of semi flat colors that look like 30 year old sun baked laquer. The gold looks just like the GM gold from the 60's. The semi flat black looks just like GM chassie black and the dull aluminum just like cast aluminum. Spray it over thier ruby red primer and it will last a long time.

T.L. likes this.
  10. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Was the metal blasted clean, or were you spraying over any flash rust or minor surface rust?

11. The old formula: Krylon 1613, semi-flat black. I have literally sprayed hundreds of cans of that stuff. It was the perfect sheen for a chassis. It was great, then it disappeared.

Lately, I've been using a lot of Rustoleum 2X (meaning double coverage) semi flat back. Not too bad, covers great. I firmly believe in a good primer, preferably close to the color I'm going to shoot. Let the primer dry fully, dust off the nubbies with a red Scotchbrite, blow them down with shop air, and spray away.

12. With mass produced cans, there's going to be a variance over a batch run - not the color, but maybe the tip has a burr inside, maybe you get an old can and it clogs up for some reason, that sort of thing.

I see now Rustoleum has some additional colors in a slightly different formula sold in K-mart, the cans talk about "2X coverage" but I think it's just slightly thinner than the regular stuff. I used some on my current beater - one color was close to my interior color, and I swapped out some doors and needed to make everything match - and so far it's holding up okay, although the stuff up on the stripe on the side of the roof (high top van) looks more brown than the stripes on the lower part of the van. After 3 coats, though, the maroon over where it was blue versus over white or primer all matches up.

13. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

I used Valspar on my truck. Looks good, but after 6 cans just on the body my finger would'nt bend. Got one of those spay can handles & that was more comfortable & you
    get better wrist action. Still have the doors, fenders & roof to do.

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

I can vouche for the old Krylon 1613. It was the shit back in the day. Just right. Has it changed, discontinued? Haven't had reason to look for any in quite a while.

15. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I looked a short time ago, and couldn't find it at the normal places, but contacted the company and they said they had moved it into their industrial line and gave me a list of outlets where it could be found ... I believe I got it at Graingers.

Barry

16. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I've had Space Age here in Mesa mix and can paint for me several times, so I can add a big +1 to that. It's great for painting those small bits and pieces you add to the vehicle of forgot to paint the first time around. And their cans have a decent fan nozzle. Plus you can spray a bit into a little plastic mixing cup (I use yogurt or pudding cups) and you have some touchup paint for little nicks.

Plus I lust after the Norton Commando they have on display in Mesa.

Barry

17. 1941joe

1941joe

John Deere. Blitz black

Gary Collins likes this.
  18. sobpunx

sobpunx

Whatever paint you use heat it up (under the tap on hot until you shake it and don't feel cold on the can) it will help the paint flow better, I learned that from working on model cars and it makes a world of difference.

19. Bilt

Bilt

When I paint panels, signs, mail boxes, or bowling pins I prefer to use Duplicolor. I am currently looking at buying some of the Roth Rattle bombs and see how they turn out.
    http://www.rothmetalflake.com/flakes.html

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No real flash rust to contend with in AZ! I just cleaned everything up with a 3M coating removal disc and shot the primer over the bare metal. Just make sure to warm the can in hot water in the sink before you shoot. Nothing too exotic. I'll post a picture of the radiator I shot the other day on this tomorrow... I can't believe it's out of a can!

Funny you should mention that Comando JPS special... It helped me identify a rear wheel I found a couple of weeks ago... I have a shop full of pre unit Triumphs and knew it wasn't Trump or BSA, HHHHMMMM, where to find another Brit Bike? The little Cooper race car up on the wall always gets me as well as the Ford V16 tank engine in the back room - there is just something about a Stromberg 97 as big as your head!

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

x2 on krylon. i used it to paint the rockers on both o/t rides ive had. one was my jeep i beat the hell out of and after 3 years the rockers never chipped or faded. i also used it to spray the roof on my truck. looks great. i just started to use rustoleum "high performance enamel" on the frame rails and driveshafts and so far so good. but for the price, krylon gets my vote. never an issue

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thought I would add to this with one more shot of the Rustoleum Epoxy enamel. I'm just flat amazed at this stuff!

Attached Files:

23. jfrolka

jfrolka

And this is the appliance enamel piss can?? Holy shit!!! Their industrial gloss black that comes in the gallon size is some beautiful strong paint as well

need louvers ? likes this.
  24. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Another vote for Rustoleum Black Epoxy. I use a lot of it. It is almost like powder cote. Use it on all hydraulic parts,and chassis parts,and underhood. I recently painted a set of GMC truck head lights for my 32,with it.

25. Krylon still makes all the great varieties of black, Flat, Semi-flat, Satin, Semi-gloss and gloss. The issue is the fact that they have changed the part numbers eg; Satin black used to be #1613 then went to #51613 and is now #451613. They have also gone to the "Fan" tips and it is still the great product it has always been. I re-sprayed my 32 hood with it yesterday and it turned out just great.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yupper!
    And, I'll go you one better... That radiator I just showed is an aluminum unit that has been run a bit since it was installed last summer. Just cleaned it, scuffed it down, sanded a couple of nicks and shot... No primer, no heavy prep. It was even only about 60 degrees the other night when I shot it! That's like below freezing in Arizona terms! Just warm up the can in hot water for about 15 minutes before you shoot.

27. bob35

bob35
    from DFW, TX

I won't use anything but Krylon. The stuff just sprays so nice, dries fantastic, and is incredibly durable. Over the years, I have used more cans of Krylon Rust Tough Semi-Flat Black than I could count! That stuff is just awesome, and my local O'Reilly's always has plenty of it.

T.L. likes this.
  28. A couple of years ago I was able to buy Dupli-color medium blue in a large (12 oz?)can that had a fan tip and worked very well.I can no longer find the medium blue Or any 12 ounce can that has a decent spray tip.Any ideas?

dogwalkin likes this.