Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best power steering conversion box? for studebaker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TrannyMan, Mar 4, 2013.

1. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Time to search for a power steering gear box for my kids Transtar pick up. I know I have to make something fit, but does anyone have any experience doing this and might know what is easiest? Or the easiest way to start searching? Was thinking of just pulling it and trying to find a cooperative junk yard... that might be tough.

It has a straight axle front, box inside the frame and to the rear.... got a greasy picture of the old crap... any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

i put a box from a 78 Chevy truck in a 52 i did for a friend of mine. used org Pittman arm drilled frame for the box added sleeves for the bolts and had to grind the frame a bit but been on there for 5 years drives great

3. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

sorry it was 1988 model truck box not 78 could also use an s10 box to both mount inside frame

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Looks like your stock box has a pretty long sector shaft. Most late GM and Ford Boxes are much shorter. If you are willing to spend a few bucks, there are power boxes being made for '55/'57 Chevy, by Borgeson I think, or Flaming River, that have extended sector shaft/housing and would be a close match dimensionally.

There may be some stock boxes at the salvage yard that are configured that way, but I don't know of any specific models to recommend.

Ray

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I am using a Chevy 605 on my 48 Ply. Not much bigger than the one in your Stude. The spline on the Pittman arm is the same as the Ply. Might be the same as yours. A friend told they are almost a bolt on for early Fords too. Bought mine rebuilt on ebay for $100.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I like the Saginaw 605 too...am using one on a '55 Chrysler...BUT....unless you are willing to use a much steeper steering column angle to compensate for the much shorter sector shaft, the 605 isn't all that suitable.

And, even doing that (steeper angle), you will also be changing the angle of the sector shaft itself and the geometry of the original steering linkage.

A box with a longer sector shaft is, in my opinion at least, the best way to get power steering and keeping the OEM geometry.

Ray

7. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

605? Isn't or wasn't there a kit to turn a 55 chevy from manual to power using a 605 box? You would have to use the long pitman arm shaft from the old manual box....cut part of the old manual box and use that for support???

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Ever considered a power rack system???

9. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

don't think it will fit or should I say look right.. The steering arms at the spindles sit below the springs
    [​IMG]

I would have to hang a rack really low. unless there would be a way to move the spindle arms on the top and to the front to clear the oil pan.

10. hemiboy

hemiboy

so what did you use? A 70's F-100-250 has a long sector as well....

11. PackardV8

PackardV8

BTDT - Can all be done with U-Pik parts. The '80s-90s GM big car box is what I usually use. There are so many Pitman arms, you'll have to find one with enough length to go full lock-to-lock.

The first step is to weld top and bottom the crossmember leg which is just riveted. Then, the mounting plate is a bit tricky to fabricate and needs large diameter spacers between it and the frame wall.

I used a GM Astrovan column and it worked and fit fine.

jack vines

[​IMG] [​IMG]