Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical best plastic polish for metalflake steering wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46fatford, Mar 26, 2019.

1. I have an original Superior 500 steering wheel in gold metalflake. Its really dirty as it was once on a tractor in a junkyard. I have tried cleaning it up, but would like to know if anyone can recommend a polish or cleaner that wont harm or etch the rim?
    Thanks

2. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As they like to say here, with no picture it didn’t happen.

Not the wheel, I want to see the tractor.

3. As they say - A picture is worth a thousand words. HRP

[​IMG]

4. indyjps

indyjps

I treat faded plastic like paint, cut and buff use the same stuff. Sand it out, use the same compounds as paint polish and wax, or shoot some clear on it after its cleaned up. I prefer 3M compounds but I already have it on the shelf, choose a product line you like.

If in doubt, look at some of the info on polishing late model faded plastic headlights....they even use toothpaste. It works, Ive tried it, (non gel) I just prefer a little more precision when cutting a surface to polish.

LBCD likes this.
  5. Those polishing kits for removing the haze from O/T plastic headlights might do the deed.

LBCD likes this.
  6. Is it made of hard plastic like an older stock steering wheel, or is it the kind that's like a hard rubber or vinyl that you can just barely dig a fingernail into?

7. I never thought to get a picture. a friend of mine and myself were out at an old mostly tractor junkyard and he found that wheel on an old wheel horse garden tractor. It was all brown and sticky/dirty. He started cleaning it and low and behold its actually gold metalflake. a little trading and its now mine. FYI I also have found several stewart warner gauges and even Johnson hollow adjustable lifters too.

8. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

If it’s plastic, not hard rubber, Novus plastic polish is what I’d use on it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

If you happen to have some metal polish like Flitz or Simichrome laying around, it works great on hard plastic.

olscrounger and RidgeRunner like this.
  10. LBCD

LBCD

As said above the 3M headlight kit from any auto parts store with the 3” pad worked great on my wheel when I scratched it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  11. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I get a really dirty one. I clean it first with a good cream type hand cleaner and a lot of rags. Usually works pretty well. Than you will know what you are working with. I have used a non silicon based furniture polish to get some shine. Seems to work well also. Gene.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    bchctybob and RidgeRunner like this.
  12. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Hand cleaner and WD-40 are my first to try for heavy top layers of crud on plastic now. Simichrome has worked well to finish up with on plastic as well as metal for me for over 50 years now. Simichrome is pricey but little dabs will do ya, too much at one time in too big an area just makes more work buffing out for a good finish. Soft clean rag to apply and another to buff are musts. I still try out anything first on less obvious places if possible.

Ed

bchctybob likes this.
  13. Good old fashion rubbing compound..works great on tail light lenses and headlights on new cars...if it’s really bad hit it with some 1200 grade sandpaper first

14. I bought the same wheel yesterday. This is before I cleaned it up. The chrome did pretty well and the rim is less dirty but could be better. I tried WD-40 as it worked a treat on a scrumy black rimmed one I had a couple years ago but no dice on this one. Also tried the rubbing compound as I had some. Are these plastic or vinyl? (Is that the same thing?) Anyway, bump for pics and more suggestions! @46fatford did you have any luck?

image.jpeg

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a similar type wheel on wife's 55 for many years.After a while it would get sticky again. I would clean it up and polish but after a few months it would become sticky again-especially in hot weather.. I finally took it to my uph guy and he wrapped and sewed leather on it--beautiful! He also did the banjo on the 39 woody I just worked on. Just took him another to do last week.

16. There is a product you can get at the big box stores or your local Ace Hardware that is called Penetrol manufactured by Flood, it is designed for oil base enamels but it does amazing things with faded fiberglass, it breaths life back into the finish, just rub it on, it will be sticky for a while until it dries then you can buff it and the shine will return. HRP

David Gersic likes this.
  17. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Probably vinyl. Try products made for vinyl.

cactus1 likes this.