Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best Over All Vintage Engine Combo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

We all know the that the small block Chevy is as dependable as the day is long and flatheads are known for over heating if over bored too much. So what would you say is the best vintage engine combo as far as dependability. Being able to keep up with traffic flying down the highway at 70 mph, cruzing, driving around at the car show without overheating. Is it a single four barrel carburetor, modern automatic transition(powerglide)?

2. squirrel

squirrel

I think engine choice for a traditional car has far more to do with aesthetics, than with practicality. If you want a really nice working car, buy any late model, and be done with it. If you want a nice traditional car, pick whatever engine belongs in it, and do what it takes to make it meet your needs for cruising, cooling, reliability, etc.

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's like asking what's the best color for a traditional car....everyone will have a different answer.

VANDENPLAS and Speed Gems like this.
  4. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

X2 what Squirrel said. If it’s a hot rod like mine with no hood, I’m a firm believer in a vintage mill. Take the time to build it right and it will serve you well. New motors like LS are obviously super reliable and can make gobs of power but they’re ugly as shit unless highly dressed. Even then they’re still ugly Do what turns your crank.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Chevrolet 454 low compression seventies truck motor, Th400 and a 2:73 rear end....

6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Another favorite is the 63-64 Pontiac 421 with the 4 speed Super Hydra matic.. With a 3:08 rear end these really haul ass!! Instead of tri power, use dual quad Carter AFB carbs..

Bill's Auto Works and 31 B'ville like this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that no matter the engine, dependability, durability, longevity mostly depends on the quality of the build. Maintaining good tolerances when machining, quality components, good assembly practices... and then good maintenance.

Still, everything else being equal, it's hard to discount the small block Chevy. I've seen a driver in a demolition derby lose a driveshaft and then just sit there and run the engine at full speed until the exhaust manifolds were orange and caught the car on fire. But it was still running strong until the fireman stopped him and put the fire out. LOL

Speed Gems likes this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We all know though, that application always has to be considered when deciding what's "best".

Speed Gems likes this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

The small block Chev gives the best bang for the buck. Starting in 1955, so it fits the vintage part. Hop up parts are common place and affordable. It dresses up real nice. Fits an old Ford like it was made for it. Starter is not in the way of the steering (unless you are in one of those RHD countries). Reliable. Sure, a hemi or a nailhead would give more bragging rights here, but so what?

10. 392

Early Chrysler Hemi with 518 overdrive. You did say best combo. Can’t beat it.

Desoto291Hemi and Speed Gems like this.
  11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I kind of like my Father in laws 47 lincoln, v12 with overdrive.

Desoto291Hemi and Speed Gems like this.