Register now to get rid of these ads!

best method for cutting up a car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Jul 1, 2010.

1. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

It hasn't been mentioned yet but the milwaukee "torch" blades work pretty good,I bought a '79 cordoba last year with no title for the motor and trans,and used the blades to cut the rest up and just hauled it away. I still made back what I paid for the POS.

2. duste01

duste01

Sunbelt rentals - in your town.

If you have ever used a plasma, you wouldn't have asked. Do it.

3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

What sawzall blades are you using?

I use a sawzall with Milwaukee "Torch" blades, they are 11" long. I usually buy them on Ebay in packs of five, cheaper than I can buy them anywhere else. I've found this to be a cheaper and faster way than using a cutting torch.

4. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Keep in mind, its actually illegal to cut up a car in a lot of states, not that I care, I just don't want Johnny Law to blind side you guys with some bullshit laws.

5. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I just scraped a Chevy S-10, No Engine, Trans, Rearend or Glass.

Got about $125.00 for it, Hauled it on my Trailer but if i had to i woulda loaded it on my Flatbed '55 Ford F-350.

My scrap yard Didnt require a Pink Slip as long as I cut it in 1/2.

Removed the Wheels & Rear end, THEN Torched the frame Behind the Cab AFTER i loaded it on the Trailer.

If you are Scraping that many Cars, You need to invest in Either a Trailer or Good Size Truck.

I have NO Idea WHY anyone would GIVE $$$ away to the Illeagal Thieves That come around for the "JUNK" in your yard, They just come back later & STEAL the rest.

Ask how i Know this :mad:

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's why you wear shorts and flip flops! Duh everybody knows this!! :D

7. ems customer service

ems customer service

i agree these parts are not replaceable, no matter how rusty or hit so hard.

your trash or junk is some else's "find" i cut up cars for parts but i save every part even frozen blocks, brackets, linkages, there is always some one looking for something.

8. wristpin

wristpin

Back in the 70's I watched Mr. Hine's, the local salvage man for the neighborhood come by to scrap out a 59' caddy. His tailor was to small so he pulled out a 7lb. splitting maul and cut that car apart in about 10 mins. loaded everything up and was gone within 1/2 hr. too much work for me, i use a torch.

9. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

10. attemptmischief

attemptmischief

sawzall blades get long and nice teeth i did a car in 2 days sections leaving the engine last /front end last ,,started from roof and trunk lots of blades though if you could get ur hands on a stihl concrete cutter and change the blade i bet that would chew through like a over sized grinder

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Being a lazy SOB call the scrapper and have him pay you to do it....after all the possible usable parts have been removed labeled and stored properly.

I needed to get rid of a 3/4 ton Chevy suburban body to use the frame. I put it on a trailer unhooked all the cables, wires etc, towed it to the scrap yard and they payed me 100 bucks to remove it from the 4X4 chassis with a fork lift. Such a deal!!!

12. I did an old C20 Chevy pickup years ago with a torch. I had a small bottle of oxygen, blew through the whole thing, was lucky to finish the job. Today, if I had to do it again. I'd throw the Sawzall into the task for some of the sheet metal.

Bob

13. nelson31

nelson31
    from Santa Cruz

I went down to my local tool rental place one time and rented a 14 inch gas powered saw. Then put a chop saw blade in it. Made short work of a 66 Ranchero. Oh yeah and a 12 pack!!

14. ugotpk

ugotpk

Just leave it on the streets of L.A

15. Call these guys

[​IMG]