Register now to get rid of these ads!

best master cyl for disc/drum combo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Aug 18, 2010.

1. i've heard alot of talk about which master cyl to use for a manual disc front drum rear brake set-up...pet n jakes/superbell front skinny model A system...gm calipers up front and 59 olds drums in the rear..figuring Lil Beast will scale under 2000 lbs......advice??options??? good/bad storries on what NOT to use...thanks

2. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Ford Granada ....got the same combo(Close)

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

X2 the Ford Grenada.

4. ok looked at these for the granada masters...look a bit bulky for an under the floor mount....guess i should have stated that.......

5. any other recommendations????

6. kingpins

kingpins

75-80 ford mustang which should be the same as Granada i think. looks good, works great with a tight swing and there priced just right. i use them on my model As, model Ts, and my international pickup.

7. kingpins

kingpins

i have the one one my model A under the floor. works great. and the model A is very very low to the ground.

8. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Mine is under the floor running 32 pedals in the model a.. So what's the problem??

9. what's the height from center of rod plunger to the top???like i've said many times...topolino's are very small cars...don't want to buy a master that sticks up into and thru my floor....not to sound like a butt head....

10. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

depending on where you mount the bracket....Mines 6" from center rod to cover top..

My fault...I didn't think about mounting it in a Topo...

11. hey no big deal....:p.......most people have only ever seen center seat setup topolino's.....if they ever saw any...:rolleyes:...i need to get up off my butt and go out and measure the possible height i could use...i don't have a problem with fillin it thru the floor...done drove and owned a bunch of cars/early willy's jeeps and they all are setup that way..i'ld use one of those style, they were put in damn near everything back in the day..but they are only single resivour...and i've had a few blow wheel cylinders and it ain't no fun when ya got no stop pedal:eek:...
    trying to come up with something that is common..don't want to be doing my see the usa cruise and be stranded for parts...hey stuff breaks/wears out!! maybe a trip to the local autozone and just start looking in boxes??????:D....would be an idea IF THEY COULD CROSS REFERENCE PART NUMBERS....this disc/drum setup requires certain pressure to one more then the other i guess..or could i just find one that fits well and correct the ratio between the 2 styles of brakes with an aftermarket portioning valve?????:confused::confused::confused:

12. no room for forward master cyl...i've set the hemi back as far as i could... within reason...first pic is of Fiat Gasser Bob's dad's anglia parked next to his forgone..same thing as a topo front wise ..doors too.to give a general idea of how big a topolino is,,,,..

second pic gives decent perspective of the hemi's set back,,,figure with WC T-5 attached i got the weight a good bit rearward...trying to avoid gettin too "nose heavy"

anglia n topo.jpg

Lil Beast 1 s cover.jpg

13. ECIGUY

ECIGUY

What GM caliper, big piston or metric? What pedal ratio do you have? all this makes a difference.

14. Hellfish

Hellfish

I have a 77 Maverick MC under the floor on my Econo, but I think I have a lot more room than you do

15. right now i have an old set of fiat pedals...and i am open to any ratio i desire...right now i'm figueing 6.5-1...from what i've read, it should be a very good ratio...or did i miss read ????????:rolleyes:

16. i think they are the metric...standard stuff from pete n jakes /superbell...i'll dig up the info on them tonite.....came with a card that tells what they fit....

17. interesting setup, Larry..i'ld like to see your column and steering shafts..looks like ya gotta kick in it???

18. went down today and picked up a 67 vette master cylinder...for non power brakes...been trying to remember if it was a 63 or 67 vette master that worked well for rods with disc/drum...either or way, it has big bore, fits the topo well...and i figure i'll need aftermarket porportioning valve and anti breed off valves to maintain fluid pressure..even though i'm going to probably be just a hair higher at the master then at the wheels...maybe.......i do remember that ya need a fair amount of fluid transfer for disc???or maybe my old ass is just confused:eek:

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Go get the GM brake line manifold for that master..... it will have the regulator and RPVs built in and GET A REALLY STRONG BRAKE PEDAL!!

Like the poorboy NASCAR guys use........

OTHERWISE we gotta ship you another nose

20. well damn, this sounds like i got the wrong master.....:mad::mad::mad:...sure do like the size of it..easy to exchange....but they didn't have a listing for a 63 vette....i only go to auto zone cause ol Bob gets a good discount there...

damn, Jimski, i ain't rich enough to buy another nose for Lil Beast...unless ya want to adopt me:p....i'ld be damn handy helping you and the misses move all your lil cars around...

SO CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO GET???????BESIDES A HUGE ASS FORD MASTER CYLINDER??????????????????

21. napa shows one for the 63 vette...but it looks like it is a single res...i really want to try and find a daul resivour

22. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I used the front and rear residual valves along with a wilwood adj. prop valve.
    I'll look and see if I can find the number...I just changed it back in March..

Found it...Got it @ O-Reilly"s
    Part # 10-1614.....$27.10 each

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Larry the 10# valves your talking about are Reserve Pressure Valves RPV not proportoining valves ...... proportioning or brake bias is by a manifold

This is a Mustang II master and control in my 39 GMC

Yes that's a Ford T/OD trans too.

Follow the lines to the little comtrol manifold..... Use the power brake master you'll get more back brake........

AND Don't fuck this up you'll get hurt NO JOKE-NO SHIT!!!!!!

AND I don't want that to happen!

If it were mine I'd get a Neal two cylinder set-up and make it fit

Stopping is the only thing that keeps you from being the 'First to the wreck''

Attached Files:

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Larry I know you know what you mean but honest I don't want to see anyone hurt

25. Larry T

Larry T

OK, I deleted it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  26. ok still looking for ideas here....space is at a premium....

27. Consider AP Racing for spec-ing dual masters and Stop Tech also Preformance friction have good tech info. Selecting your own set up with remote resviours may be the best

28. i guess i stated it wrong..i'm looking for a master cylinder with a daul resivour...not a daul master cylinder pedal setup..way over my budget..unless some one wants to donate one to the cause:eek:.....

i am relying on aftermarket propotioning valves to get the bias propper between the front disc and the rear olds drums.........

i really like the looks of the vette master i picked up, long and not tall at all...looks beefy:eek:..... but it is apparently wrong type...don't know why, or what the differences...but......

so i'm still looking, but hopefully with what i'm looking for clarified a bit better......

29. Armstrong

Armstrong

It sounds like you need one of the remote resivor type mc. They are alot smaller without the built in resivor. you can mout the resivor anywhere and it is connected to the mc with hose or hard line.

30. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

i really like the looks of the vette master i picked up, long and not tall at all...looks beefy:eek:..... but it is apparently wrong type...don't know why, or what the differences...but...

Theres not a thing wrong with using it if it will fit where you want it, we use 'em all the time. I prefer the Granada like others have said but they are bigger. Just hook your lines up so the big resivoir is for the front brakes and unless you want to be able to change the bias from front to rear don't worry with a proportioning valve, they'll work fine.