Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best lines to talk Farmer out of an old car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Desert1957, Dec 22, 2009.

1. thendrix

thendrix

I say be who you are. Be upfront and honest with the person. Most of all, use sir or ma'am, whichever the case may be.

Also, I come from a family with farmers and I married into a family of farmers. If you tell a lie, REMEMBER IT!!!!! I promise you they will.

2. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

What works for me in Perry County Ark is to stand on the porch and say in a straight face that you know for a fact that the Farmer and his Sister had children and that they buried them in shoeboxes in the garden and that you won't ever say a word to anyone if he lets you drag off the 3 window coupe (or whatever car you're asking about),,and that you'll go away and will never return. I saw something like this in 2 Billy Bob Thorton movies,,it seems to work.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  3. lorodz

lorodz

knock on the door .be nice ..and than duck cause im shure he's gonna shoot than ask questions later ..

1 time i went to a farm to see if the farmer would sell me a ford falcon ,knocked on the door no answer so as im walking back to my car to leave i here a pop ..than another pop...i jump in my car and begin to leave and this fat ass old hillbilly was chaseing after me with a god damn shot gunn...i swear that fucker was shootin at me ...i was like wtf ...and took off like a bat outta hell ..never went back for that car ....

4. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Most people don't want "any strangers" at there door, you just never know what they may try to do. If it someone in your neighborhood ask the neighbors or mailman. I run everyone off and yes I'm armed. But if your a car guy and your friends with someone I know.... well I might talk your ear off! Money don't mean squat, there is a car pimp you see at those big car auctions...yep he saw the wrong end of my rifle.
    Why am I like this? a couple of months ago some clown pulled up to my house, backed right up to steps, he was gonna help himself! No I didn't blow him away he did get a real good look at the wrong end of the shot gun, all I asked do you think it's a deer slug or buckshot? So be safe send them a nice letter.

5. S.F.

S.F.

Be nice, polite, calm, dont be pushy, and dont make any sudden moves. Just be cool, dont cuss, keep the language clean, and act like you dont know much about whatever the car is your asking about (cause if you do he might think its worth more than it is). And just keep on him. And if you can, get him to like you. And the first thing out of your mouth should be "Hi Im xxxx, sorry for bothering you....ect"

6. Unless you have bullett holes in your ass he wasnt shootingat you. Those folks hit what they aim at. If they where poor shots they would be skinny starving old hillbillys instead of fat ass old ones! OldWolf

7. .....offer to supply spare parts when they get ready to restore the cars :)...noting they sure need a lot of work ..:eek:

...which usually gets a quick no thanks... not planning on restoring them and sets the owners mind to thinking he may be able to off the "old junkers" to you ....

game on:D

always! always! leave the owner a card .. and ask them to attach it to the title noting that you are interested in buying the car ..
    ... years later I get calls from the "heirs" asking if I am still interested and can I come haul it off so they sell the house .. :rolleyes:

8. nutter

nutter

one thats always worked for me is having a camera then asking if you could take some photos of the old cars cars I even some times carry a photo album full of old car photos even some off here if they say yes then this is the chance to ask questions 'how long has it been sitting' 'what model is this' 'how long have you had' 'it would it go' have you got any more I could take photos off 'ever thought about selling any of these' this has always worked for me remember always smile :)

9. synthsis

synthsis

bring coffee and donuts, etc. The best way to a car is through the belly of someone with a sweet tooth.

10. First; be sure to bring a small firearm, you could be walking into a 'meth' operation - no joke! Second; leave your vehicle running, just in case you hear banjo music:eek:

11. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Don't bother them at all. Post signs on the road nearby that say you pay cash for cars or trucks of similar vintage and they will call you.

12. Spity

Spity

If the signs in the driveway say no trespassing, or trespassers will be shot; I WARN YOU I MEAN IT!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I always shot 40 out of 40 for uncle sam, I shoot better for myself. Respect peoples property on your hunt, and we'll respect your health. Drop a note in the mailbox. If you look like a pile of crap, im going to treat you like a pile of crap. Yes, im that guy with the cool shit in the backyard.

[​IMG]

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://static.pbsrc.com/flash/input.swf" style="" id="IMGTag-code" bgcolor="transparent" quality="high" name="IMGTag-code" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" swliveconnect="true" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="ipt=%5BIMG%5Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fi348.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq354%2Fnovanogo%2FDSC05999.jpg%5B%2FIMG%5D&trk=image_code_click_FULLVIEW_IMG&width=175&height=21&color=#000000&border=#BDBDBD&cont=IMGTagContainer" height="21" width="175">

13. spununit

spununit

If you don't ask, you don't get. Always take cash and you should be willing to go back if he says no the first time.

14. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

money talks bull**** walks......

15. honesty and cash!

16. Soreback

Soreback

I got a set of '40 wheels for 25 bux buy looking at a car that wasn't for sale......yet.

17. Desert1957

Desert1957
    from Pa/Md

You Guys are AWESOME!

Some of the best info yet....

Only problem now is there is 22" of snow on everything , planning a visit after the thaw..

Desert

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

I didn't read all the replies but I'm left wondering why you feel you will piss your neighbors off by talking to them?

19. wsdad

wsdad

Rule 1: Like them. I psych myself up before going to meet a prospective seller (or buyer). I think to myself that I am going to really like them no matter what. If they act in a way that pisses me off, I think, "Well, they must have a reason for being that way." and I don't take it personally. The last thing that goes through my mind as I'm knocking on the door is that I'm going to genuinely LIKE whoever answers. What we think of them comes through, no matter how clever or what a good BS'er we think we are.

Rule 2: See things through their eyes. This requires that you pay attention to them and their face. It also means that it's more important to get their opinions than to give your own. If it's an old lady, is she scared that a stranger came to the door? Is she happy to see someone? Acknowledge it. Say, "I sorry to worry you by knocking on your door. My name is __________. I'm interested in buying..." or "Oh, I'm so glad someone's home to talk to. How are you doing? I'm ___name_____..." If it's a farmer, does he want conversation or is he bothered by your intrusion? Everyone's different and almost no one thinks like you do. That's OK. It doesn't make them less than you. Adjust your actions and conversation to fit their personalities, not your own. What you think would work great on you may or may not be the thing to do with them. Bring cash in case they steer the encounter that way. Don't reveal that you were foolish enough to walk around with all that cash it if they are timid or cautious. Offer a trade or labor if they would rather have that. Let them decide what would motivate them to sell you the car. The best salesman I ever knew used to ask his prospects, "Why do you need a burglar alarm?" The prospects would tell him. He would agree. Sometimes they would tell him their reservations. Then he could address them instead of whatever he thought was important. (I'm not a real salesman, I'm a repairman. However, I do have to "sell" my repairs so I guess I'm sort of a salesman.)

Everyone's different. Some are direct. Some are indirect. Some like to talk. Some don't like strangers or "intruders." Take your cues from them. See things through their eyes and adjust your personality to match theirs (only slightly - you don't want to over do it and become fakey. You still have to be yourself. You are just doing them a favor by making them more comfortable to talk to you.)

Rule 3: Imagine that they are probably better than you are and also more important. Nothing creates division between two people more than if one of them thinks they are better. This will come through in your personality. They will secretly agree with you that they are good/important without realizing that's what they're doing. (Unless they are an extreme Christian and have been trained to be that way themselves. Then they'll spot it and appreciate your effort.)

Rule 4: Look for something you have in common and talk about it. You both have old cars sitting in your yard. If nothing else, you have the weather in common.

These tips are not my own. I have been lucky enough to stumble upon people who are smarter than I will ever be. They were kind enough to teach me. My own successes and the successes of others have reinforced them in my mind many times.

Good luck!

20. Besides Bruce's great suggestion to send a woman to do the deal, this is 4 pages to state what should be obvious....

Typical Bruce. Typical HAMB.

JH

21. "1 time i went to a farm to see if the farmer would sell me a ford falcon ,knocked on the door no answer so as im walking back to my car to leave i here a pop ..than another pop...i jump in my car and begin to leave and this fat ass old hillbilly was chaseing after me with a xxxdamn shot gunn...i swear that xxx was shootin at me ...i was like wtx ...and took off like a bat outta hell ..never went back for that car .... "
    If you used that XX language here I would have probably taken the shot gun to you as well. Beat you to a pulp with the butt end. After that we would have the missus wash your mouth out with soap.
    And BTW folks Everything is NOT for sale. No matter how much you offer. The idea that it is is just a figment of your imagination. Some of us just plain dont care that much about it. Why? Because once it is gone or spent it was of no use in the first place. You are exactly the same after as before you got it.
    Don

22. poolmike

poolmike

I have a good bs story that gets me in the door every time. Knock on the door, politely introduce yourself, etc. Explain to the person that you are restoring a vehicle like the one sitting in their back yard and you need to see what the original (insert what ever here) looks like. Strike up a conversation from there.

I will be making a somewhat bold attempt soon. I can see the silhouette of a pre-50's vehicle in a collapsed barn near me. I have no option but to stop by and introduce myself as 'nosey bastard Mike'. The car/truck can be seen from the road if you stop and block traffic:D

23. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

This happened to me just last month . My wife & I were "Sunday " driving and she looks in the back of barns and such as I drive . We stopped at a fruit stand to buy some apples and next to the stand was a Beautiful Model A . She went to the stand with a lady helping her and of course I went to look at the car . Was a beautiful restored one I must say . Anyway the ladies husband walks out and I ask if this is his . Well after 1/2 hour of talking he say , want to go for a ride ? Didn't have to ask me twice so off we go for a 15 min ride . Was really great to get a ride in the "A" and if course we talked about cars . I told him what we had and so on . I DIDN'T TELL HIM I WAS A HOT RODDER EITHER ! Just I had a 55 Ford I was fixing up . We get back and say to my wife , want to see something . Now this is a huge apple farm that he has owned since the early 1950's and his family lives and works the farm . We walk across the street to another barn and he opens the door . Well he had 2 more sitting in the barn under covers ! He showed them to us and then we go to another barn after I tell him I have a 37 Plymouth p/u . Well he opens the door and there sits a 29 Chrysler in all the original form ! Big 4 door and has been off the road for 10 years . He says since you have the Plymouth p/u , how would you like to by this 29 Chrysler ? I honestly told him I was broke but wish I had the $$$$$ . After that he still showed us 2 more cars .
    What I am saying is let the old timers talk because you NEVER know what might be sitting in his garage !

RetroJim

24. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Hey any news yet.Cash really talks right before Christmas.......

25. Money does talk. A few years back a friend of mine was doing some flooring in a farm house ( had his own tile and hardwood flooring business) He asked the farmer if he had any old cars out back setting around. The farmer replies "yea I have an old Ford in the barn over there" so the farmer takes him in the barn to show him what he has, this friend of mine damn near shit himself. A choice 1932 Ford coupe! He asks if it's for sale, "no" replies the farmer, it was my dads he bought it new in 1932, I have the original bill of sale and title. My dad passed away in the mid 1930's and mom never wanted to drive it or sell it so we parked it in the barn. So this buddy of mine makes him an offer of $5000 to start, he declined. 2nd offer $8000, still no. 3rd offer $10,000 and another no! He told the farmer he would be back next weekend to finish the job. The following weekend he walks into the farm house, this time the farmers wife was standing there. Ok he says, I brought cash, whats it going to take? Still not selling it says the farmer! So this friend of mine starts laying out $100 bills on the kitchen table $11,000 to start! Still no! Ok now this friend of mine is getting pissed, counts out another $2000, $13,000 in $100's laying on the table! Farmers wife says " I dont care how much that car means to you your taking that money!!" So he got it for $13,000 and a couple weeks later sold it for $20,000. True story, I seen the car and it would give you a chubby thats how nice it was!

26. James66g

James66g

hmmmm I always offer to stay away from his daughter

27. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

this is dynamite advice, "why the hell didnt I think of that?" kind of stuff. I found a barn woody (chicken coop actually) and the guy flatly refuses to sell, but he thinks my wife is gorgeous, he even told me so twice. GAW I am in idiot. Thanks Bruce, I will keep you apprised.

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

My wife...she died this year...was not only a dynamite infiltrator and negotiator, she was a huntress too.
    Her greatest: Drunken biker type loudly discussing his friend's great "B" roadster. No real specifics, partial name, "close to (top secret so no one gets mad) in Pennsylvania", not for sale. I paid no attention...
    We stopped for supper on the way home. Wife disappeared, allegedly to the ladies' room...for more than an hour. When she returned, she ordered, and caually mentioned that we now owned a roadster.
    She had spent most of the time getting to know every 411 operator in Pennsyslvania, had hunted the guy down, blasted through his resistance, and made a deal on the phone!
    And...this was a CLASSIC case of the un-buyable rural car.
    The car was visible every time the guy opened his garage, and was very well known. Most of the human race had tried to buy it, and kicking them off the property was practically a full time occupation. Everyone from penniless teenagers to well financed restorers had tried.
    If I had found the car, this guy would not have even considered a conversation. A woman was the only hope.

29. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

great story Mr. Lancaster.
    sorry for your loss.

30. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

the ultimate line is i am a cash buyer and will pay a fair price. Most people like money$$$$$$$$