Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Kill Switch option for HEI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by newstranger, Jun 4, 2013.

1. newstranger

newstranger

Hey all, I'm trying to keep my ride from sailing off into the sunset while I search for a new house with a garage! I have a SBC with HEI in my '62 Impala and am wondering the best place to splice in a kill switch. Red "Batt" wire? Ground the coil? Seems like there's a few different spots. What's the BEST spot? Also what amperage should the switch be rated for? I've read so many different opinions all over the Net... Gimme the STRAIGHT DIRT!

Thanks!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

DON'T ground the coil it will overheat.

Interrupt the power and also disable the starter, ala neutral safety switch.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. newstranger

newstranger

Thanks! It's s 4spd though

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

how about a battery cutoff switch on your main battery cable?

5. My buddy's car was set up to disconnect the coil from a highbeam floor switch.

I thought it was pretty smart, high amp rating and all that jazz.

Deuces and harpo1313 like this.
  6. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Violet 16 Gauge wire at the bulkhead connector is the crank wire, just wire a switch in series...

trollst likes this.
  7. 68vette

68vette

I put in an in-line switch under the dash where it was fairly easy to get to but hid from bending down and looking for a switch....it was in line with the hot distributor wire...engine would turn over but never start....it made me wonder a time or two why it would not start....after a swift head slap....I would figure it out....flip the switch and vaaarrrroooommmmm.

BigDogSS likes this.
  8. 327Eric

327Eric

on my 59 el camino, I wired the neutral safety switch into a visible switch, wired into a a backwards, semi hidden switch. The ignition is enabled with another semi hidden(same location) switch. There is also a battery cutoff. Ok, it is a complicated sounding setup, but really just 3 switches with no color coding on the wires. I came home a couple of years ago, and found my door open, ignition switch bezel on the floor, and the ignition switch on. No power, so the car was still there, thank God.

9. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

Many rides I did battery kill switch 15 amp in front fender (inner fender ). Put it on ground wire from battery , also make sure the close body ground is on engine side. This will kill all power to car.

10. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

If I was going for a pre steering lock car I would just pop the hood, 12v to coil or dist, and crank it at solenoid or violet wire.

Hood lock would stop that.

If you teed into one of the green white wires from the pickup coil with a ground switch that would kill it.

11. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Take a look at hotronics remote kill switch.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hidden switches for both sides that can be reached from the driver's side without excess noticeable motion by the person sitting in the other seat. If you do it right the guy riding with you shouldn't catch on that you went through a couple of extra motions before firing the vehicle up.

I like the idea of a ground side cutout for the battery though. That should keep the guys with a jumper wire with a pair of alligator clips from hot wiring it from the battery to the coil.

trollst likes this.
  13. trollst

trollst

I interupt the starter wire, splice a switch in it, the car won't turn over, gives the thief less time and more grief. Hide the switch where it can't be seen but easily switched with a smooth motion on your way to the key so even your passenger won't notice.

14. I have a 50 chevy pickup in my shop now. the guy who put he truck together used the headlight switch as the safety. in other words, you have to have the headlights switched to 'on' to start it.

after its started, kill the lights and roll...

robracer1 likes this.
  15. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Great Idea! Would work for the starter too...And the wire is right there

16. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

A simple Toggle switch will work just fine, thats how i did mine.

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I had a girlfriend who lived in Queens...I had to replace the steering column on her car 3 times after theft attempts, and I have no idea what scared of the thieves each time, because they had reached the point at which switch could be worked by hand.
    Anyway...I interruped the big red wire under the dash and column with a 2-way toggle...
    on-off-on, and hooked the extra on to a relay controlling a pair of big horns from a Cadillac. Idea was to give the thief a coronary when he tried to start the car, not to send him hunting for the secret switch!

18. Had a 72 Chevy pu stolen once. After that I hooked the purple safety switch wire to a relay. You had to turn park light on to start it. Did one for a friend and we did the same but toggled the power wire for the relay of that relay. He was not a drinker so he never had a problem. He still has that set up on his truck. I used a factory fog light switch on another later truck same relay as the safety switch. Have VATS on the 32 now.

19. bigjim1979

bigjim1979

I am new here I haven't figured how to post s new thread sorry I have a 62 Chevy Impala I can't find any info where to plug in on the key switch I bought a new engine harness and they gave me a 12 gauge pink wire for key switch to fuse box . Trouble is the guy who owned the car before me kinda hacked it up i got it where it cranks but as soon as I let off it dies I'm just lost again my apologies for posting here

20. If you didn't get an instruction sheet. Try to get one. Sounds like you may be on the wrong lug on the switch.

clem likes this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the lead page of the forum over on the right side there is a red box that you click on to start a new thread.
    [​IMG] I had to hunt for it myself when they "updated" the board.

On the wiring, usually the manufacture has links to instructions online that you can download or get hold of them and ask for them.

22. cerial

cerial
    from Michigan

These are sw52 switches from Napa. I have used them before for there cost/performance. They are a 4 post switch with 2 large post and two small post. I like to run a 0-2 gauge battery cable off the battery to the switch then to the starter. Then I hop the coil off the smaller post(shown below) so that the coil/box is only fed when the battery is on. I do it this way because when the switch is off you only have the single battery cable having power. Less chance for leaks and less chance for a fire.

[​IMG]

In this setup I had a dual battery setup using two switches to kill both batteries with a single feed wire going from the battery to the switch.

[​IMG]

Then I ran a third switch to jump the two batteries in case one died or I just ran one down on a Saturday night by the fire kind of deal.
    [​IMG]

It turned out clean considering just how large these switches are.
    [​IMG]

One switch is enough to cut the power to prevent a fire or just avoid a dead battery. Running multiples is not hard with replacement parts easy to find. You can run a junction block off the main post or run to the starter post that has the factory wiring run to it feeding your factory fuse block.

23. bigjim1979

bigjim1979

Thanks for the info and advice it's frustrating being that close but not quite there .. I was thinking of some kind of switch I just wanted to hear it run for a bit ..I'm going to call the place I bought harness from and see if they can give me help .. Appreciate the info tho

24. bigjim1979

bigjim1979

25. bigjim1979

bigjim1979

Yea I've had it on 3 diff lugs the only one I can get fire from is the solenoid and their diagram isn't working I've messed with it so much I'm confused

26. I put a Hotrodnics battery disconect switch behind the column drop, I can use it without anyone noticing when I'm starting and shutting down the car.

27. bigjim1979

bigjim1979

Yea I'm definitely going to have a kill switch put in can't be to careful in this day and age

28. Put the neutral switch on the clutch, don't depress the clutch and no spinning the starter. If you could find it a seat belt switch was also a good idea, they were common in early '70s MOPARS, ass in the seat latch the belt and depress the clutch was what the deal was in an effort to force people to wear a belt, its a pain but most people that are boosting cars don't take time to latch the belt.

'93 thunderbirds had a chip that you could pull in a little receptacle under the dash that disabled the whole system, you could wire it into your starter and the ignition to make them completely dead without the chip in place. get out of the car pull the chip easy squeezy.

or you could just hide a toggle switch a 30 amp switch is about 15 bucks at most reputable hardware or auto parts. use it to break the power to the distributer, that would force them to hot wire it to steal it.

Ok so now you got options.

I personally normally run an electric fuel pump that I disable when I leave my vehicle. There is method in my madness, mist car thieves don't look for one. In Missouri if the car doesn't move at least 60 feet it is merely vehicle tampering but if it moves 60 feet it becomes grand theft auto. they don't get away with my car it wakes me u and I can make them stay with the vehicle while the cops are coming. 7 years baby I don't have to worry about that particular thief for 7 years.

firstinsteele likes this.
  29. 29moonshine

29moonshine

80's chevy trucks have duel tanks with a cross over switch. put the switch in your fuel line it will work with both elec or manuel pumps. just flip the switch when you leave your car

firstinsteele likes this.
  30. I have used the cigarette lighter as the safety switch. It has to be in to start the car. Take it out when you leave.
    On another customers car I wired in a pressure switch under the floor mat that had to be pressed to allow the starter to crank. I took out a complicated three relay setup from one car. It had four toggle switches that had to be in the right position to start the car. If you flipped the wrong combination the horn would sound.

Kerrynzl likes this.