Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best gauge metal for floor pans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XxStrait-EdgexX, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Im getting ready to start replacing the floor pans in my 50 dodge and Ive been wondering what the best gauge sheet metal to replace them with... Ive noticed that repop floor pans are usually out of 16 to 18 gauge but a good friend of mine told me to use 10 or 12.... I know this is a total FNG question but cut me some slack. Thanks guys.

2. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I doing a 51 Pontiac ...I'd like to see what every ones says.

3. choke

choke

I would use ether 18 or 20 ga. You'll have hard time bending anything thicker. Make sure you use cold roll finish not hot roll. You'll probably have to do some welding. This will helpto give you cleaner welds. You should either bead or step the panels for strength. And lap weld and rossette weld wherever possible. Butt welds will eventually fail!

vtx1800 likes this.
  4. I used 18 guage. I did roll some beads in them to stiffen them up. Worked fine

[​IMG]

5. Explain why that is?

All I see and hear on the HAMB is Butt welding is best?

6. Texifornian

Texifornian

I think a butt-weld is fine for sheet metal work. I've been welding for over 15 years and have yet to have a sheetmetal butt-weld fail. If you are a newbie at welding, or don't have the expierience at welding thin gauge metal then over lapping the edges and making your weld there would be the best. Just be sure you put beads on both sides of the "laps", as penetration of the parent metal is not as uniform as a butt-weld would be.

7. I noticed that most cheap bead rollers max out at 18 gauge... Im a newb when it comes to welding so thanks for the tips. I think Ill end up step welding it. I would have liked to use something thicker so I wouldnt risk burning through a thinner gauge.

8. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

16 gauge is the way to go in my book.

9. yblock292

yblock292

16 is fine easy to work with

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I use either 16 or 18 gage, depending on what was in there before.

11. well whats in there now is rust potato chips lol

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

13. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

The cheap bead rollers will work with 16 ga....

14. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

most old cars were 19ga so if you went 18ga your already thicker than stock. if you dont have access to a bead roller i would say 16ga

15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16 ga.----More better!!!---Hot roll---Not cold roll!!

16. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I used 16 ga without any beads on my 47 Dodge, I duplicated the factory floor bracing which were about 11 inches apart. make sure they are a flat, tight fit because other wise they will oil can a bit. I had to drill about 5 plug weld and refit/weld them. If your going thinner that 16 I would bead roll it. also If you are going to have a large unbraced area I would also bead roll it.

I reference to the butt welds. I have heard that plug weld will alow a little flex, where as if you butt welded a long area like a rocker you have a long brttle (mig) seam that will crack rather than flex. If you look at the factory stuff most just overlapped and spot/plug welded them. It easier, quicker and will put a lot less heat to the panel. heat cause warpage which can also lead to an oil canned floor board.

17. Texifornian

Texifornian

Factory welds usually are spot or plug because it is cheaper and faster. If you take your time you can make a good stich weld with a mig welder that will last longer that the ride. Since we are not in the business of mass production, I would rather have a good stitch weld on butted panels than a panel held together by a few plug welds.

In_The_Pink likes this.
  18. Roadk01

Roadk01

Hi, what diameter do the plug holes need to be for an under seat floor pan?

19. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

^This. Beads and bends will add stiffness, so you can use thinner metal compared to a mostly flat sheet with little or no support underneath. I used 16 gage flat sheet for a 24" x 43" trunk floor, but have two u-channel supports 12" apart in the center, and two smaller right angle iron pieces to help support the outer 18" or so. I could have used 18 or maybe even 20 instead, but 16 gage was more easily available locally:

[​IMG]

If it feels like the metal is too flexible in a certain area as you are replacing it, add a bead or a brace to stiffen it. Really, follow your gut and you'll be able to "feel" what works best for each area. You can always err on the side of caution and go one step thicker if in doubt. If you hear and feel oil-canning, you know you need more stiffness.