Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Fuel Filter ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beater32, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Oilguy

Oilguy

I'm with Jimmy on this one. DSC08020.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  2. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Way back in the day, Standard Oil advertised their "final filter" on the hose at the pump. Remember that? Somehow I ended up with two of these. About 9" long and 2" in diameter. Has a replaceable cartridge filter in it. It is still available. I have one mounted along the frame rail on both of my hotrods directly after the tank and ball valve shutoff. Then a small replaceable cartridge type inline filter just before the carb. Never any crap in the carbs.

Stogy likes this.
  3. I run the Plastic ones with the paper in it & one bet. the Tank & Fuel
    Pump and another before the Carb. & so far they are working Great
    and you can checking them before I take the Car out for a Ride
    I always carry a Fire Ext.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. [​IMG]

We we on our way to Columbus and as we were passing a guy in a '34 Ford coupe I noticed something spraying out through the louvers in the side of the hood, as we got beside him I realized it was gas and I blew the horn to get his attention he just waved and kept going, I laid down on the horn and he finally looked in my direction I rolled the widow down and Brenda pointed at the hood, he rolled his window down and we yelled GAS, he then eased of on the shoulder of the interstate, his glass fuel filter was broken.

Fortunately, I had a extra plastic furl filter in my tool box, we had him up and going in a few minutes, with the dried up gas stain on the side of the car it had been leaking for a while, he was lucky his car didn't catch fire. HRP

5. carbking

carbking

Know nothing about the modern one pictured, but have been using the older versions for more than 60 years without issue.

We always used the ceramic elements rather than the paper ones. Once the ceramic elements get dirty, simply remove, and soak the element in vinegar overnight.

Jon.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not true...its the new billety one the generates concern as there's been many stories of them coming apart and leaking...those vintage glass bowled filters are fine as long as parts such as the internal filter are available...Nobody's said they are a deathtrap...;)

VANDENPLAS and Moriarity like this.
  7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think what you posted is what you meant.

kevinrevin, Stogy and weeniewawa like this.
  8. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

I use this mount I got on Amazon and it uses a spin on fuel filter Wix 33123. Like mentioned above, it should last a lifetime. it has 1/2" in and out and flows from left to the right. It has 3 bolt holes on top to mount to a vertical area. The picture sucks.
    [​IMG]

dirty old man and Stogy like this.
  9. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I put one of these in an IH, got about 4 miles and I smelled gas. The glass tube cracked from end to end. This is nothing like the traditional glass bowl.

My teen-aged daughter was delighted to come rescue dad.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was curious about this as I have an inline filter between the fuel tank and mechanical pump...that's the way it's been since 2010...my only issue has been an element glue failure x1...:mad:

I have a had a Mr Gasket type regulator after the mech. pump all along that did fail and replaced it with same after a respectable lengthy run...its all feeding 2 94s at 1.5 to 2 psi...wish it was 6 94s...:oops:

What difference would the location make before or after other than allowing shit to get into the mechanical pump...I'd figure it should be protected too...

There was talk that a mechanical pump pumping at a higher psi being regulated to 1.5 might be problematic but I've not experienced any issues...maybe I'm lucky...:)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I use the little screen boat filter that fits inside the Quadrajet inlet. I've put thousands of miles on them without any issue. I run a solid piece of 3/8" tubing between the fuel pump and carb, especially with todays fuel. Anytime I've cut into that line for filters or other things it turns out to be a mess.. For some reason hose clamped hoses on this run always comes loose and leaks.

I find running a 1/4" return line from the fuel pump back to the tank really helps the fuel system work smoother then the dead head deal. I use the fuel pump that has the return port built into it and takes the 3/8" tubing..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  12. carbking

carbking

In a different lifetime, well 40 years ago, when we were a distributor for Carter Carburetor; Carter had a inline electric low pressure fuel pump that was great for antique cars. It was called a Gerotor. These came in two pressure ranges, and while they were designed for 12 VDC, they would run at 1/2 pressure on 6 VDC. We had a couple go bad very early in service, cut one apart, and found it stuck because of rust particles. Sent it back to Carter. A few weeks later, we were asked to return our inventory of pumps and they would be replaced.

THE REPLACEMENTS CAME WITH A FUEL FILTER CONNECTED TO THE INLET (TANK) SIDE OF THE PUMP!

We continued to sell these for maybe 15 years, and never had another failure.

So, the question becomes, who do you believe: Carter or Summit? My money would be on Carter. Especially with the results we actually experienced as a distributor.

Or, it may be the 40 year-old paper filters were better than modern filters???

Jon.

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The warning from Summit is also found elsewhere and it concerns filter elements of cellulose, or in plain English, paper. Let some sediment get into the element on the intake side and restrict the flow and the suction from the pump will often resut in the collapsed filter elements depicted earlier in this thread.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5DAA2707-E32E-46AD-A4BA-012401B6FFAB.jpeg The wafer looking filter fits in one of these. We also use one of the large stainless screen style out of the tank before the pump.