Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best front axle width for 33 Ford Sedan project?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fivelitreford, Jan 19, 2014.

1. fivelitreford

fivelitreford
    from Nova,Ohio

I am building a 1933 Ford Sedan fenderless and the stock axle is too wide for my taste.
    I wondered what width would work best with stock steering and suspension. I want to lower it as well figuring a 4" drop. Thanks in advance

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. TERPU

TERPU

If you don't like the '33 use a '28-'31 dropped 4" they can really narrow it up.

All the best,

Tim

3. Carter

Carter

Tim, a 28-31 axle is the same dimension kingpin to kingpin as the 32-36 axles.

If you have an original axle dropped, it will likely end up a little narrower, but not much if any. I can't imagine a stock width axle being too wide for the car.

4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I am lost too. I would think the stock axle would be exactly what you would want. How much narrower are you thinking you want to go?

5. Stock axles get the front track really wide once you add aftermarket brakes and any normal backspace wheels. Too wide IMO for a fenderless 33/34.
    This is why they make narrow axles.

An aftermarket axle @ 46" looks right in width but looses the "aesthetics of dropped axle"

You can narrow a Henry axle as well as have them dropped.
    This is how they did it before they made narrow axles.

No narrow axle is going to work with 100% stock everything else.

6. Xman

Xman

I use a 46" on the hiboys I've built. I like the look better. Narrow in the front, wide in the rear. Adds to the wedge look that makes it more aggresive.

7. 117harv

117harv

When going from mech. brakes to juice you gain about 3" in width on a 28-36 axle. I also like them abit narrower, on a typical axle drop you lose about 3" width.

8. Here's a 46" axle on a 33/34
    There's a mopar double dip in front of it.

Attached Files:

9. Here it is with the dodge axle
    Too wide.

Attached Files:

10. Here's the dodge axle photo shop narrowed to 46

Attached Files:

11. My dropped 36 Henry axle didn't loose 3" or 1-1/2 a side.
    Maybe a 1/2" per side.
    I'm contemplating narrowing it but ill need a custom spring if I do. Need to sort that out and make a move.

12. 117harv

117harv

I should clarify, you are right, the model A axles get narrower than the 33-36 as the latter have an upsweep before dropping.

13. fivelitreford

fivelitreford
    from Nova,Ohio

As posted on here, when you ad juice brakes and remove fenders it looks way too wide from front. I was interested in hearing what others had done.

14. SIDS site states an overall narrowing of 2" - kp/Kp of 50.5 to 48.5 on both the 28-31 and the 33-36. The 32 regular ( not heavy) axle is in there someplace too.

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

You can buy a new axle in 46, 47, or 48 inch widths. If you drop your stock axle 2" (equal to a 4" drop total) it will narrow it about 3/4" per side....about 49 1/2" width.... my .02 cents.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. TERPU

TERPU

Here is a '33 Axle dropped about 3" from it's factory sweep. YOu better put your headlights in this equation before you go too narrow. I like the look on this, some don't. But make sure you don't get a crowded look after you install your lights. These are stock '33's but a kingbee or Guide is going to be alot smaller in the hole.

Good luck,

Tim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014