Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Best frame for 28-31 roadster highboy set up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Marchak55, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Marchak55

Marchak55

Trying to get some ideas and recommendations on what frame everyone is using to build a 28 through 31 roadster hi boy? Seen a lot where people are using 32 frames for this application And Brookville seems to be the place to get them what other frames to do y’all recommend

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

dana barlow, scrap metal 48 and X38 like this.
  3. mazzanti

mazzanti

Try Blackboard Hotrods for your frame. I have one on 31 roadster and it works great,very good quality.Good price

29AVEE8 likes this.
  4. Actually there are a couple of frames to choose from in my mind ( a scary place to inhabit enter at your own risk). Deuce rails would not be considered budget build but they are cool to the bone.

Model 40 ('33-34) rails work real well and sometimes can be had for a song.

The A rails also work real well, I don't care much for the look of them (just plain) which is why I almost always channel an A bone. But they have been used a ton and many an A highboy has been built on an A chassis.

If you are a wizard a very cheap way to go is a Model AA chassis. They are pretty tall and you will need to either give it a mild channel to hide some of the height or slim them down. Slimming them down really only consists of taking a slice out of the top and welding the top flange back on. Then cut to length install some cross members and you are golden. The beauty of the AA chassis is that it is heavier than the A chassis (or even the deuce) and does not need to be boxed.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

IMO... take the narrowing of the frame after the cowl out of the model A frame by running the sides of the rail a couple inches from the skin.
    otherwise as you walk up to the car the center of the frame disappears under the body...
    that makes the car appear to sit higher than it really is...…
    ……. just my opinion...

6. Personally, I built a "28 Model A highboy on Deuce rails & I would go with the Deuce frame again.

A friend of mine built a '29 high boy on a Model A frame and really didn't like the look so he ask me if he could borrow a old set of frame rails to pull a fiberglass mold and made some glass rails,he just bolted them on the bottom of the body and it was a huge improvement in the looks department and most causal observers that the car was actually on a Deuce frame. HRP

7. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Pretty much stock Model A frame, like used for this roadster. Get the above mentioned book!

Jet96, Blues4U, dana barlow and 5 others like this.
  8. A Boner

A Boner

image.png image.png image.png image.png More "A" frame examples. Less expensive and less involved build if using an A frame compared to using a deuce frame.....but still looks great!

Jet96, Blues4U, ClarkH and 6 others like this.
  9. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

A lot could depend on how much you want to spend and if you want to pick it up or have it shipped. It doesn't state in your avatar where you are located, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to have a frame shipped from the east coast, when you could buy one right in your home state and vise-versa.

10. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Is titling and emissions inspections a concern? I went out of my way to KEEP the A frame and keep the original VIN stamping. Inspected and titled as a '31 so no inspections or titling issues. Granted, I'm in Komifornia and things like this might be less important where you are.

H380 likes this.
  11. 3340

Jet96, Bandit Billy, ClarkH and 4 others like this.
  12. brady1929

brady1929

My opinion, use a 32 ford frame.

13. Marchak55

Marchak55

I’m in Florida emissions is not a concern, unsure about titling. Have to check into that.

14. Marchak55

Marchak55

And those model A’s are exactly what I’m looking to build. Very sweet looking

Blues4U and 3340 like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A, all the way. Box it, if you are making some power.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  16. Marchak55

Marchak55

I have two flat heads engines I saved from a field they may be too far gone. I have one in a electrolysis tank now than off to the machine shop for a better cleaning. If both are salvageable one is going in my my hot rod. If they aren’t salavagble I guess I will have a sweet coffee table.

17. 48stude

48stude

My 32 style frame is a Gary Maxwell (Blackboard Hotrods ) frame. I have a lot of work in getting my body and frame to like each other.
    upload_2018-6-27_9-5-49.png
    This roadster has what looks to be a Brookville frame. If you look closely , you can see that the top of the frame is flat which allows your Model A body to basically bolt right to it. And if you will notice the rear of the frame isn't pinched but has a kind of notch( kind of pro street ) that lines up with the front of the wheel well.
    [​IMG]
    With all that being said, it's hard to argue against this. Just my two cents, Bill
    [​IMG]

Shadow Creek likes this.
  18. lake_harley

lake_harley

At the risk of diverting the thread a bit, any favorite photos of fenderless coupes (preferably '30-'31) on Model A frames?

Lynn

19. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I haven't seen a Model 40 chassis for cheap in a few years (or I'd have one)! I'm actually doing a 29 AA currently with a cab I just got. I'm kicking the rear and coming up with a mix of solutions to drop the front down. I'm not planning to channel or section the frame so we will see how low I can get. I'm using it because the A pickup cab will bolt right down to it and the SBC won't twist it up if I don't box it. Also, it was about 7% of the cost of the last 32 frame I saw for sale up here.

Another option for using an A frame is to run the splash aprons on the side to dress things up a bit. I see a lot of this now.

The Silver City Special that @general gow built is one of my favorites. It's a T roadster on an A frame with splash aprons.

[​IMG]

If you've got two, you've got a good shot at having a block you can run. Get this book too:

How to Rebuild & Modify Ford Flathead V-8 Engines (Motorbooks Workshop)
    [​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I prefer the "A" frame.. About $700 compared to $2600 for 32 frame to fit model A....**clic pic** 29 with lettering 009.JPG

A Boner, 48stude and patmanta like this.
  21. Depends on the look you want and the amount of work you're willing to do to get it.

A frame works and sits high.
    If I wanted an A frame I'd build replica from box tube. Not much to it.

32 frame extends wheel base, gives more engine room, drops the body down, drops the frame rails down and fits/follows the body. Work but worth it.

33-34 rails extend wheel base even further, Plenty of room now, can run 33-34 truck grill with a 30-31 hood. Drops you down a bunch and I think works really well. My 31 Vicky is on a custom box tube frame that follows the same profile. It's work but worth it.

35-40 have a swayed back

pitman and patmanta like this.
  22. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anything 32 on an A is sacrilege

Warren.

gimpyshotrods and scrap metal 48 like this.
  23. I guess in my mind I was thinking cost of a Model 40 compared to a Deuce frame. I actually saw one around here a while back for about $500.00. Was a pretty solid frame too, not pitted or twisted. Did have a gouge under where the cab would sit and someone had hacksawed the X member out but is was still there.

I'll like to see the AA chassis and what you do with it. I know where there is one that could be had (although I don't really need one today). I like 'em.

patmanta likes this.
  24. Marchak55

Marchak55

I just ordered all the books to add to my garage library. I think I might definitely do model A Frame and probably doing a 28-31 roadster body. Just looking at building a reasonable priced hot rod. My 70 Charger eats up funds for the pricey build. I might try and start selling 80s Mastercraft ski boats or try and trade them for a decent project roadster. So I can start this build sooner

39 Aaron NZ and patmanta like this.
  25. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You can see the beginnings of the build in the plea for help thread I posted this morning HERE: SCHOOL ME ON 28/29 A CCPU CABS https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/school-me-on-28-29-a-ccpu-cabs.1112555/
    I'll be posting a build thread once I get it to look like a truck, but you can see the frame in the pic in the thread.

Man, get you a decent, straight body that's already sitting on a decent, straight frame and you will be ahead of the game! You will save a lot of time, frustration, and money that way.

scrap metal 48 and porknbeaner like this.
  26. Marchak55

Marchak55

if I found a good deal on one I would go this route. But I’m not opposed to building the whole thing. Plus I have a wife who loves cars and usually gives me her blessing depending on what the car is lol

27. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Most AFTERMARKET "A" frames have a step up at the rear for rear axle clearance. The step replaces the body mounting wood at the very rear of the frame. That lowers the rear end by giving more rear axle clearance allowing the rear of the car to sit lower without the frame bottoming out on the rear axle.
    The front can be lowered by using a "Rolling Bones" style spring behind the axle set up. Not many A's are lowered in the front this way.....but is a very good idea if you like low. I only have a pic of an A coupe with the RB style front suspension set up. It's more involved than a spring on top of the axle set up.....but less monkeying around than choosing the deuce frame route with all the body modifications that are required! I'm really surprised that there aren't any aftermarket A frame manufacturers offering this front end set up....is anyone listening?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Jet96 likes this.
  28. Marchak55

Marchak55

I want to go more of this stance

Attached Files:

Jet96 likes this.
  29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well, it really depends on the look you want, but IMO the look of a high boy A on A rails can't be beat. Both are traditional. @a boner posted a bunch of pics of A's on A rails. That is THE look IMO, but your's may vary. You posted pics of cars with both 32 rails and on A rails, which do you prefer? There are threads here for both styles, do a search for it and spend some time studying pic's.

If you decide to go with A rails, you can either go with an original frame, there are many out there, and then do the work to clean it up and set it up for the ride you want; or purchase one ready to go from somebody like Boling Bro's, who make a great product and will set it up any way you want it; or as @31Vicky with a hemi said, build your own (you can get the front frame horns to weld on to your square tubes to get the right front end look).

Lot's to think about, and no single "right" way to do it. A lot has to do with your budget, and with your skill set or ability to learn, the time line you have to work with, etc.

30. Marchak55

Marchak55

I think I’m leaning towards a A on A frames

patmanta likes this.