Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best deal on grinding discs ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We use a lot of 5 inch aluminum oxide grinding discs, the ones with a 7/8 hole in the middle in 50 grit. Looking for a better deal than the local places. Have any of you found a discount place where they can be ordered in quantity at a good price ?

I searched on line but couldn't find any super deals better than what I get locally.

Don

2. I don't go through many during a rough build so I just go to tractor supply,,but I have noticed them pretty cheap at swap meets. HRP

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We've found that the 3 M and Nortons are the best but they cost lots of $$$$$. :eek: The Chinese ones last about 2 minutes, so we are looking for a quality one at some sort of savings. The ones from Home Depot are ok and cost about $8 for 5, but I figured someone has to have boxes of 25 cheaper somewhere. We consume tons of them so any savings will be great.

Don

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Don't know of a regular supplier Don. I stock up whenever there's a swap meet. There's a local guy who sets up every year and sells USA made discs for $1 ea., so I buy $20-$30 worth and it holds me until I see him again. You guys probably go through that in a day!

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Try www.klingspor.com, I have been using their products for over 20 years, high quality for a fair price!

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

How have you found the quality to be on something like the 5 inch 50 grit discs, if you have used that size ? $10 a box seems REAL cheap.

Don

7. chop32

chop32

X2 on Klingspor...
    My neighbor is a Klingspor rep and Ive had the opportunity to try a few of their samples, everything Ive used so far was very good quality.

8. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

wow! you're not kidding that's cheap. thanks for starting this thread!

9. oldolds

oldolds

Try this place.
    http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/
    They sell to the public. I do buy from them on ocassion. Most of the time till you add the shipping it comes real close to wholesale pricing. I do use them to keep my local guy in line. If you have a business license PM me I will give you a wholesale mailorder that is a bit better.

10. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

I've been buying mine at my welding supply. It's Airgas, I know there are a lot of stores in Illinois. You will have to check if there are any by you.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I just called them and placed an order for 3 boxes of the red and 1 box of the upgraded zirconium ones to try. Prices were great and we should have them by Friday . I appreciate the lead.

One reason I went with Klingspor is that they actually have a phone number and humans to call. The others I tried were internet contact only.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. :)

Don

12. I picked up a box of cheap cutting discs at a swap recently, the seller assured me they were excellent quality blah blah blah. Damn things wouldn't cut through wet bread and into the garbage they went. I don't like throwing money away.

13. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Don, what was the part # to get that price I'm looking at the SMT 656 4 1/2 flapper disc and the price is $8.00 min 10 to a box?
    Thanks

14. metal man

metal man

Good choice with Klingspor. That's all I've used for about 10 years. The products and the customer service can't be beat. You won't be dissapointed.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That was my fear, Big A. We have bought some Chinese ones in the past and they last about a minute before they go dull and load up. I LOVE Nortons and 3M, but they are getting pretty pricey. We change a disc out when it starts to get dull on us because it just isn't worth the extra time it takes to finish the job, so we change them out pretty often. Just trying to save some money but still get a decent disc.

Don

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Our aren't flappers just the regular 5 inch ones with a 7/8 hole, so I am not sure about the flapper part number. Go onto that website Marty provided and check them out.

Don

17. I might order some of those Klingspor ones if people say they're good. I'm a bit skittish and usually you get what you pay for.

Can you dress a grinding disc the way you can a grinding wheel? Since flap wheels have come along I generally get more life out of grinding discs, but wonder if you can extend the life a bit.

18. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If there is a way to dress them I haven't found it. When they wear out they get shiny and the high spots wear down. I think the metal being removed fills up the valleys somewhat and then they begin to lose their ability to cut much. Millscale also is their enemy as it seems to clog them up quickly.

I really like the 5 inch size on an angle grinder, easy to handle. We also have a big old 7 inch Milwaukee but it is like holding onto a small block Chevy both in torque and weight. I only use that one when there is some serious metal to remove.

Don

20. This is as close as I can get to dressing a disc....Back it up with another disc, cut 'em both at the same time, and flip it over when it gets where it won't cut well and use the other disc(that you're using as a backer). You can keep cutting them down as small as you like--only takes a minute or so to chop one down with tin snips. Certified 'cheap-ass' trick. :eek:

[​IMG]

21. I haven't used any of their 5" grinding discs yet (but will be ordering some soon) as I just used up the last of some eBay discs I bought in bulk. But I have been using their sanding discs and 2" roloc resin fiber grinding discs for about 4 years on motorcycle projects and have found those to be equal to the 3M discs at a fraction of the price. I also love their roloc 'surface conditioning' (AKA 'scotchbrite') discs; these are great for prepping aluminum for polishing and removing paint.

So far, everything I've got from them has been as good or better as what I could get locally from welding supply shops, etc at much better prices. And Keen offers a much wider grit selection than what I could find elsewhere; when you're polishing stainless steel, ultra-fine sanding discs can save a lot of time. I'll admit I was little spooked by the price difference the first time I ordered from them, but I haven't been disappointed yet.... :)

22. I was going to get some here but E mail orders only
    then I noticed that it is Canadian $$$$$ need to convert as the exchange rate is
    let us know how well the ones you ordered Don
    thanks jim

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks for that info. What spooked me a little about them was no phone number, only internet contact. I am really old fashioned and wanted to ask some questions of a human being, but they seem to be computer only. But I may give them a shot sometime in the future, thanks again.

I saw that too about the Canadian thing. I will definitely post as soon as we try them out, which will be soon as we are running low.

Don

24. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

Don , I am wondering why you are using such a small diameter disc ? if you start with a 7-8 " disc you will notice longer life as well as a much smoother surface as the larger disc will allow you to maintain a more level cut .Also you have much more to stop sign (cut off) so as to maintain a more aggressive edge when needed .

I also will take the disc and cut it down to use on my 4 1/2" tool and start the process over on that portion of the disc. The ultimate recycling program that will really save money . This I do with my 3" rolloc also and cut it down for my 2" .

25. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

NAPA will cut a deal in bulk.... also Mika Abrasives..... Harbor frt has Chinese.

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Don, I am sure you will find their service and prompt delivery to your satisfaction, as far as the flap discs (mop discs) they have a great selection, with direct (screw on) centers, or the standard (flat sandwich) centers as well. I also use their belt sander belts, chop saw wheels, I think their products are German made, great products.

27. The 'Canadian' prices is new; last time I ordered the prices were in US dollars. They must have had 'issues' with the exchange rate. But I can't see any major price swings; IIRC, last time I ordered the difference was only a few bucks per item between Canadian and US dollars, and they were still much cheaper than what I could do here.

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wasn't mentioned on the first page but www.roarksupply.com has decent deals and USA-made products. He is a vendor on another site I frequent.

29. fortynut

fortynut

McMaster-Carr is internet friendly, located in Atlanta and offers fast delivery via Buster Brown & FredX. They have a wide variety of abrasives per each, & by larger #s, and sell a quality product. Google 'em up. (They also sell a lot of other stuff for metal working.)