Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Best day in the shop ever!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FONZI, May 25, 2009.

1. FONZI

FONZI

We all know some days are better than others. Today was the BEST for me because I was sanding parts of my car along side my 14 year old daughter. Any of you who are raising teenage daughters can probably relate. My girl does not usually consider bondo boogers a good time but this morning she got up early and was ready to hit the shop with dear ol dad. She gotta little tired of sanding but overall enjoyed herself. What a great end to a long weekend!

Attached Files:

2. KsFlatlander

KsFlatlander

My 4 year old daughter loves helping me in the garage, problem is I spend more time keeping her out of stuff than actually working. Can't wait till she can help, my son is 8 and off to a good start. Glad to see there is still bonding with teenagers, I had heard it was gone forever.

3. storm king

storm king

Good for you! It'll pay dividends for you later if you can do that every now and again!

4. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I can't wait until my grandson is old enough to hang around and lend a helping hand (he's only five). Now if i can only convince him the reason "Poppa's Mustang" doesn't look like "Daddy's Mustang" is because mine is a '56 Chevy.

5. mottsrods

mottsrods

My little girl is only 4, so I don't think she is ready yet to do alot other than helping daddy clean up. On the other hand, my son, who will be 6 on friday, will be getting his own SpeedGlas welding helmet for his birthday. He can already make really good tacks, and has been using my old helmet. So I think he needs his own to take care of and keep up with. We have to teach the little one's right, and to be safe, or our hobby/life that we love will cease to exist.

6. that is awesome! now my question is i have two year old boy that won't stop sanding my car. every time i turn around he is sanding my fresh primer.

7. hvychvy

hvychvy

What an awesome feeling:)

8. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Very cool. I like a post like this! She will always remember working on old cars with dad!

9. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

Jetmek's little guy Ryan is always taking tools and jabbing screwdrivers into everything but screws lol I think Al has him pouring babbitt bearings when nobody is looking. He's like 3 or 4

10. fordsoup

fordsoup
    from Altadena

Very cool I have two daughters (9 and 6) and they (for now) are interested in anything I'm doing in the garage or elsewhere. Hopefully in the coming years I can say the same thing.

11. duste01

duste01

I can remember when my Dad got my younger sister to help work on her car. My hats off to ya. I do know, the ties that bind last forever.

12. Right on...My daughters are 6 and 8, I'm always trying to get them invoved some how with the old beasts.

With the last couple threads about young ones welding maybe i'll grab some scrap and let them have at 'er.;)

13. Dang Fonzi... your little girl has grown up quite a bit since I last saw her... better get a collection of guns to clean when the boys start showing up at the house!!!!

:( Have a 14 year old boy who'd rather play video games in the basement!:confused:

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  14. FONZI

FONZI

The collection has begun! I also have several ugly and intimidating buddies who are ready at a moment's notice to come jon the "gun cleaning part"

FONZI

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Growing up with our kids was a wonderful thing.......in our case now it is the grandkids because when you are done you send them home.

16. casper

casper

I have two daughters also (11 and 14) so I can really relate to you! Both of my girls have raced quarter midgets for about 5 years and drive better than I do! We did not race this year, so we have been going to some car shows. My 11 year old already has a pretty good 1929 roadster and my 14 year old already has 2 cars, a stock 1930 roadster and a 30 coupe on 32 rails, with a Merc flathead and 3 speed! They both drive my P.T. cruiser every weekend (sorry non Hamb friendly!), but it is a standard transmission. They have never driven an automatic yet! This is the time to form an impression on their little minds. I am sure your daughter will never forget the time spent with you right now, but it might be time to find a project of her own so she can dream about having one of the coolest cars in her schools parking lot! Enjoy every moment with her. Props to you dad!

17. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I remember when my son was two or three. I was working on my XJ-S and my son picks up a two pound sledge and walks along the side of the car, pounding it with the hammer. He is saying "Daddy, I fix car". One of my most cherished memories. Sure, the car got dinged but so what?

18. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

thats what its all about..good times

19. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

My youngest daughter - 30 years old - still comes over and lights a fire under her old man and we hit the garage together. Sure enjoy those days. I've offered her my T-Touring project if she'll take it and run with it. She hasn't taken me up on it yet but hopefully we'll work on it together when she's ready. Buying a house and working on her master's degree are at the top of her to-do list right now.

Lee

20. congrats man thats something that dont happen everyday especialy round here , enjoy the moment tommorow she might turn back into a teenager again..

21. Restoair

Restoair
    from EL Paso Tx

My son is 5 and every two weeks I take him to Lowes for there kids project he love it but my wife doesn't want him the garage just yet, but give me time

22. madmal04

madmal04
    from CA

I know I always enjoyed time in the garage with my dad, but now he's moved out, so that came to an end. He said that he wants to help me on my Shoebox, so when I start working longer hours on it, I'm going to have to invite him to help me out! =] It's these moments that make life so great! Enjoy them while you can!!!!

23. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Thats too cool! My oldest is 11 and she isn't into to car scene, but my 6 yr old thinks everything I do is cool. As soon as the body work starts on my Olds she will be right there and hopefully will enjoy it.

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looking at your first post I'm reminded of my son and the time we spent together in the shop while he was growing up. He helped me build a lot of cars back then. Now at 42 years old he is doing the same with his son. They are actually rebuilding the '69 Z-28 gave my boy at 16 so the tradition continues. Thanks for bringing up some great memories.

Frank

25. seetz

seetz

we just started yesterday to actually get car parts AWAY from the kid. but he's about to be 9 months and starts pulling things of tables, that kind of stuff. so no more carbs stacked on the desk, all the catalogs on the shelf instead of the wobbly pile, etc. I'll wait a couple of years, then see if I can convince him that 50 year old oil smells good!

26. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

I was recently finally able to get my tomboy out of jeans/t-shirt for a dance and took advantage of it and took a pic of her! She's in the garage Very often and has my tool box memorized. Gosh I'm so blessed!!:cool:
    [​IMG]

27. Alfster

Alfster

My daughter is now in her thirtys and recently came over to give me a hand with an engine swap I was doing. She knew I was doing the swap on the weekend and just turned up, gave me a hug and said 'what do you want me to do to help?"

Made me feel real good.

28. my two year old tried to do some two pound hammer body work on sunday but we go the hammer a way be for i had to fix my buddys truck

29. unclebubba

unclebubba
    from fla

my little girl is 11 not so much in to helpin out in the shop. But she loves the swap meets. Now my son (8) he would skip school to stay out in the shop.

30. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Your lucky, enjoy will you can my 15 year old wouldn't know what a piece of sandpaper is, much less know what it was to be used for.