Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best cam for a 283?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xtralow, Jun 23, 2008.

1. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

What is a good street cam for a 283 motor?

2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Either a factory 300 HP 327 hydraulic, (pretty smooth) or a Duntov solid lifter cam, (a little lopey).

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I'm running an Isky R.V. cam. Runs good, sounds nice, good performance.

4. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

Comp makes a hydraulic clone of the 30-30 Duntov:
    advertised duration: 286 intake/293 exhaust,
    duration @ .050 : 239 /246 ,
    lift : .483" /.477" ,
    lobe center: 112 degrees.

Or you could also look at a over the counter Chevy cam known as the LT-1. I'm thinking the cam specs are very similiar. Hope this Helps.

5. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Thanx for the info all and link greenmtnboy.

6. easyrider47

easyrider47

Back in the day, we ran the Duntov 283 "fuellie" cam, or 8-18 cam. ( named for the valve settings). It's a solid lifter cam, not near as thumpy as the 30-30, and better low end, but like most solid lifter cams it comes on harder at higher rpm's. I don't know if you can still get it from GMor not.

7. class 'A'

class 'A'
    from Casper,Wyo

There are a lot more factors in what you are asking. Too big of a cam may necessitate changes for the tranny or even rear end.
    The 300HP 327 cam is a GREAT all around cam. Depends on if you want more lumpy or smooth. Solid or Hydraulic. Etc.

8. nite-flyer

nite-flyer

early Duntov or Isky clone

9. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

I do not want anything big or lumpy, this is a street cruiser with a 350 transmission and stock rear end etc.

10. oldfardyfode

oldfardyfode

What kind of cam for the 283 for DECENT Horsepressure and MAX efficiency (GAS MILEAGE ).....We drive a "fer piece" to attend any hot rod happenings.....Really don't want my Nephews Volvo V70 to outrun our 32 coupe.....Unless,....it become an extreme necessity....CJ.

11. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Call about four or five different camgrinders, talk to their tech people, and make a decision. The people that do this for a living look forward those calls, and will be more than happy to help you out.

12. i usually don't jump in these threads about what cam to use , too many different opinions and expectations. but since you want just a cruiser set up that way , i say stay away from those duntov cams....use something mild and dual pattern like Summit's 1102. it puts the power where you will be using it on the street. you can use a stock torque converter. plus a slight loppy idle .i have used many in sbc's and always been pleased . many cam makers make the same grind....it's the same as edelbrocks performer cam. i have one in my `36 with a 283 and th350 with 3.00:1 rear gears and i cannot imagine using any other cam

check it out:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D1102&autoview=sku

13. BigChief

BigChief

The worst thing you can do is over cam these small motors. The 350hp 327 cam, the 30-30 Duntov cam and others like them sound incredible in the small motor.....they also tend to be soggy and tempermental on the bottom end, especially with a tight converter and street gears. Don't forget that 283's tend to rev pretty good even with stock heads and cams. If you want a modern solid lifter cam that'll give you well rounded performance in the smaller displacement motor then the Comp Extreme Energy XS256 with .465/.477 lift and 218/224 duration @.050" lift will give you what you need. They also make a hydraulic version of this cam as well. In a 350 you wouldn't notice the cam as anything but OEM in a 283 it'll have a slight chop to the idle and an extended RPM range without killing the bottom end torque.

-Bigchief

14. I also want to chime in to say that you should not use the 30-30 cam in a 283 for the street. They were used in the original Z-28 302's but they were intended as a race motor. In a street 283 with an automatic, you would hate that cam.

15. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

A 30/30 SOLID with a set of monte carlo ss 305 H.O. heads will make all the power you could ever need. It is the perfect combo for a 283.

16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Using the '64-'69 "30-30" cam in a 283 with an automatic and stock rear gears will give it an impressive sounding idle and a 0-60 time comparable to a Chevette with automatic and A/C. You'll be much happier with a hydraulic camshaft with moderate lift and short duration in this case.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I should rubber stamp this reply I've posted it so many times. Someone already suggested to call one of the cam grinders and get their recommendation. This is absolutely the best advice you can get. Asking the janitor who has a best friend that knows someone that helped a guy build a motor back in 1958 will get you nowhere.
    I've used Comp Cams for over 30 years and the reason I do is that they have a very comprehensive selection and if given the specifications of your build will provide you with a cam and components that will do the job.
    When you call put your macho attitude in the sock drawer and tell them HONESTLY what you intend to do and the expectations you have. Answer their questions truthfully and let them tell you what to use. I usually get a couple of recommendations and you can chose the milder version or the wilder grind. Don't be disappointed if the lift and duration are far milder than you expected as most people have in their mind that bigger is better. The two most common made mistakes in amature engine building is too big a carb and too big a cam.
    Or....................................look up that guy from 1958. I hear his cousin was thinking about buying a land speed car that his neighbor abandonded that had a kick ass cam recommended by the high school shop class assistant who was reading in Hot Rod about a trick underhead engine that two guys developed for use in a high performance paper shredder developed for a top secret government project. Your choice.:rolleyes:

Frank

05snopro440 likes this.
  18. Dyce

Dyce

My Dad told me storys about a '49 Ford. He had a 283, vette 2x4, with the 30-30 cam. Like you said, no low end, but it really wound tight.
    Bigger cams really need compression to run in the small engines. Make sure you stay with power pack or 305 heads with a 59cc or smaller chamber. I would keep duration 215 @.050 or lower.

19. zbuickman

zbuickman

My old man Had this in in his 58' "back in the day. He loved that car and has plenty of stories about it. And also how it WOUND:)

20. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Hmmm ... :) now what?

21. use the cam i suggested , or the one the cam maker suggests based upon your honest description of how your car is setup and how you want to use it.

sorry to rub anyone the wrong way , but bill brown is 100% wrong for your application....it may be great in a light car with a 4 speed and 4.11 gears

this is why i don't usually add my 2 cents to cam recogmendation threads

22. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Right....ask for opinions and you'll get plenty of them, both good and bad. Personal experience--against my advice, my brother tried running a "30-30" cam in his 283 powered '62 Impala with an automatic and 3.08 gears. A loaded beer truck could outrun it from stoplight to stoplight. If he could talk his competition into running from an 80mph rolling start, he had a chance. If you're that desparate to impress the crowd at the Tastee Freeze with your lumpy idle, just retard the timing---it's easier to fix later.

23. zbuickman

zbuickman

36 you are right on. the maufacturer is going to ask way more information than youve supplied here as well.
    Vehicle weight
    tire size
    gear ratio
    tranny-O/D
    stall
    Engine
    compression
    exhaust
    heads
    induction
    and intended purpose

with that info you will recieve the CORRECT cam for your application:)

24. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

25. Edelbrock Performer.

26. An 097 Dontov was almost too big for the 270 & 283 hp Chevy motors back then. I used a 225 hp Corvette cam from a '56 and it worked better than the 097. Once I made the 282 a 301 the 097 worked great. Never had any dealing with a 30-30 except in a '62 Vette and I took it out and replaced it with a Clay Smith. Can't say I accomplished a lot but I was a "Clay Smith" guy back then...

27. novadude

novadude

For a cruiser with good power, decent mileage look at an Isky 256/262 supercam. Nothing bigger than ~210-215 deg @ 0.050", or it will be soggy on the bottom w/ an automatic and tall gears.

28. Mercman39

Mercman39

fab32, Love your advice and the way you give it!!!

29. cams are a lot like women

example - big flashy cam with impressive numbers - requires high maintenance, additional money to me spent on other parts to keep it happy

stock cam - not so flashy - still does good things for you, has good torque in her bottom end, may not rev as high but runs good with little to no maintenance. No additional money is required to be spent on other things.

The farther you go above stock cam the more you'll have to invest in the whole set up and them keep after it to keep the set up happy.

Then there is only one way to know how a cam works. Try it out. You can read all you want about them and you'll never know until you stick it in and try her. Then there is a wide variety of cams we all want to try every one we see. Hydraulic, solid flat tappet, solid roller, hydraulic roller. But it is expensive to change cams just like women. You usually have to stick with the one you have. But then you always wonder and dream - what if I had a really hot flashy roller cam with all the goodies. Woo that is really cost you to try it out. But then you would have a trophy cam!

Then you have other guys opinions about cams, they are all different. One guy likes them huge, the next guy likes them lumpy, and the next says he needs a lot of vacuum. It just all depends and there is still only one way to find out. Try them out.

Some guys even like to try used cams. Now that is a whole nuther story that can be expensive and dangerous.

You also don't usually get to try out new cams just for fun. The one you have usually needs to go bad first.