Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best alternative to DOT 5 break fluid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hapydz, Sep 11, 2010.

1. I like to use DOT 5 beacuse it doesn't absorb moisture and it doesn't affect painted surfaces. What I don't like about it is that on this project, I'm having problems sealing the connections, even the premade ones. Any HELP with an alternative brake fluid recommendation, would be much appreciated.:confused:
    Thanks,
    Ron

2. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

3. while i have read countless complaints about it , i've never had ANY problems with DOT 5

4. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

its go its positives and negatives......good, it don`t eat paint, isn`t hygroscopic, and usually has a high boiling point, bads, expensive, hard to find, and it is more compressabe than a natural fluid, that being said, they both leak the same, so i donno why he wants to change brake fluid cause he has a leak...

5. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

If the system previously had DOT3 or 4 in it, you need to really flush it before putting DOT5 in. Best to put 5 in a completely new system.

6. This is a disheartening revelation....

...you mean there is brake fluid that doesn't eat paint?

...dammit.

7. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

yeah, that does suck that it doesn`t eat paint, one of my favorite patina makers....lol

8. ^it sucks because if I knew this before I wouldn't have had a leaky master cyl drip all over my frame rail and eat the paint off of it. :(

9. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

uuuuu.....sorry to hear that.......that really sucks......

10. ^Just add it to a long list of stuff I've got to do anyway I suppose. LOL

11. Chally

Chally

If you have a leak it ain’t the fluid. Silicone brake fluid isn’t going to be any more or less prone to leaking than any other type of brake fluid…
    I’ve been using Dot 5 since 1980 without a problem…
    Every Postal truck out there that looks like the space shuttle [the LLV] runs Dot 5…
    It’s not that hard to find if you take the time to look for it. $15 a quart and $40 a gallon...<O:p

12. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Are you using Silicone Brake fluid, or Synthetic?
    There is a difference.

Silicone fluid in not hydroscopic, which is good for cars in storage [ but it is prone to leaking ]

I have used "Motul" Dot 5.1 Synthetic fluid in my race car. It never leaks at all

Their are plenty of good other brands available
    Why go over Dot 4?
    Are you planning on "boiling the fluid" on a regular basis?

13. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

It does not eat paint, that sold it. If I said oh my golly I have a leak lets try something else what the heck would I do. Plumber. My life is leaks drips and blockages I fight Murphy's law every minute of every day. To me a leak or a drip is normal and expected, if I assemble something and it doesn't tear I expect Murph' to get me some other way.
    So relax, even the Plumber God has leaks. Want a few rules to live by that will give you a few less but still not make you absolutely perfect as there is no such thing.
    Clean, Clean, Clean, pigs have more leaks. Understand the sealing surfaces of the connection, 45 degree flares and 37 degree flares do not just kiss and make a perfect seal, tapered threads and running threads do not make good partners either. T tape is not for everything. No, It will not just magically rust up. Be thorough, test properly and take the time to test and then retest, if you have a drip don't go Ape Shit on it, go in 1/16 ths or 1/8th turns, you are sealing, if you still drip undo and rotate the sealing surfaces slightly and retighten, remember you are tightening to seal not kill crush destroy. The anecdote to Murphy's 1st law of drips, A leak does not know care or concern itself with what it's leaking nor does it care if it is leaking at 1/2 psi nor 1000 psi, it's just a drip, pompous and unconcerned, it's YOUR problem. Enjoy outsmarting the Murph'

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Cutting to the chase, the type of fluid has nothing to do with leak-free connectins.....................

15. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

LOL, I like all of that, I will have to add that I have bought expensive brake lines that just will not seal on the 45º I/F seat, they just won't.

Sometimes you get ripped off.... :D

16. EZrider

EZrider
    from Waco, TX

Hapydz,
    check out this link; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid
    more info than you can get out of these yahoos.
    personally I would stick with the DOT 5.
    I put it in everything as I rebuild. Internal rusting is minimized (almost non existant)
    The system does need to be clean though.
    I would disassemble ALL the wheel cylinders & the M/cyl before putting Dot5 in.
    AND flush the brake lines w/ alcohol/methanol, then dry air.
    just my 5c worth.
    Bob

17. EZrider

EZrider
    from Waco, TX

18. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

19. maniac

maniac

I don't even try anymore:D

20. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dot 4. The expesive dot 5 , sure it isnt hydroscopic and wheel cylinders wont rust. But its a pain on normal rubber seals, I kept having problems ,wilwood proportioning valve seals siezed. Fixed that, then rear wheel cylinders gummed up . Ditched the silicone and flushed it all down the drain , back to good ol dot 4. Down here dot 5 is something like $50 for a bottle smaller the regular fluid.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

hunh? every parts store I've been in the last few years has it as well as every motorcycle shop. You sure you're looking in the right place?

22. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

yeah, u can find it, but not at every corner store.......