Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best advice for painting scallops on top of topcoat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Jul 28, 2017.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

So i want to add scallops to my olds. I am using base/clear on top of my single stage urethane.
    What do i do to my tape edges so i get nice clean edges and also what do i do to minimize the 'step' of added paint?

2. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

3. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

you will have an edge no matter what you do,is it possible to clear the panels where the scallops will be,even if you clear over the whole panel you will have a small edge,best to clear then sand and clear again.but if that is not possible i would use single stage for the scallops,it will leave a thinner edge then base and clear will.good luck

4. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

If you're working with base/clear scuff the whole panel to be scalloped, mask and spray, then unmask and use two to three coats of clear. That'll give you the best edge after wetsanding and buffing.

5. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Also, make sure to use plenty of wax and grease remover on your tape lines so you don't have ghost lines under the clear.

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Do your scallops,don't worry too much about the edge,if its high in a few spots,razer an or buff down a little,but then add pinstrip trim on edges ,that's how we did it in the 50s an early 60s. We though it was super. Before L.Watson made us look bad ,LOL

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  7. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

If the car only has single stage, clearing the entire scalloped panel is going to look odd.
    I agree with dana barlow, pinstripe the paint lines and call it a day. It'll look good and be traditional.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow likes this.