Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Adhesive Spray? (for upholstery)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reichart90, Oct 11, 2008.

1. reichart90

reichart90

I've attempted doing my own interior panels with marine grade vinyl and 1/8" luan. After completing the job, it looked great (winter time). In the humidity and heat of the summer or whatever, well it came undone. The glue just didnt want to hold the vinyl to the wood anymore. Ive done it twice now. I used 3m super 77 then the 90 super strength with the same result. I followed directions with a super clean surface. Sprayed both services and let it get tacky before sticking them together. I have tried several wait times on that and i still get the same crappy result.
    What have you all had the best experience with? I dont want to do this a 4th time. I didnt use any foam backing, which i may do this time. Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

THe foam will help a lot. I've used the liquid brush on type contact adhesive for stubborn stuff too. Also I stretch it and staple it to the back of the panel with small staples. I'm sure someone with some actual upholstery experience will have some other tips for you too.

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Use DAP Weldwood
    The Original Contact Cement.
    Buy it Lowes of Home Depot.
    I did my entire interior with it, and it's HOT here in Florida :) !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

that's the stuff right there. Couldn't remember what it was called.

5. 8-Track

8-Track

use a heavy duty contact cement or formica adhesive that can handle the heat, but you can not put one glue over another glue you can end up with a goey mess if you mix glues. if you are using vinyl upholstery material the 3m adheasive will mix with the plastisizers in the vinyl and soften the glue.

6. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

Weldwood is really the only stuff out there that kinda works out there. Us upholstery guys are having the same trouble right now because of all the new VOC laws.... at least in California.

7. yekoms

yekoms

Hey Reichart90,
    I haven't been on there for a while but, over on hotrodders.com there was a few guys with lots of interior info. Kristkustoms and Dan Two Lakes are two that come to mind. Would it help the glue adhere if the luan board was painted?
    Smokey

8. Be careful what brand you use.
    I don't remember the brand, but back in the early 80's I used a recommended contact cement to help tuck the edges on a commercially sold vinyl headliner in my Stude Hawk.

It looked great for a few months, then I had to deal with staining from the glue actually working through the vinyl.
    Yes I had stains in several places that seeped right through the thickness of the vinyl.
    The glue itself didn't come through the solid vinyl, but the tan color did come through, complete with a perfect duplication of the brush stroke streaks that applied the glue to the metal frame.

The next time I do one, I will be sure to ask a local upholstery shop to recommend a specific one, or buy it from them.

Some will eventually send a stain right through the vinyl.

9. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

I highly recommend 3M 74. My interior bulkhead panel is one piece with multiple compound curves, and this stuff sticks great!

I used a closed-cell dense foam (like the hand-held can insulators) over 1/8" bathroom fiberglass panel, with marine-grade vinyl upholstery, and it looks unbelieveable! You push on it, and the impression dissapears in seconds, like a memory foam mattress.

Getting back to the adhesive. It is lumpy when first applied, and I was freaking out 'cause I thought I ruined a good piece of foam and vinyl, but as it dried down, in about 15 minutes, it smoothed right out. I've also used it on 1/8" cardboard (tranny tunnel), wood (console), and dynamat (rug-to-floor).

Good luck!

PS - It cleans off with acetone very easily.