Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best 49-51 Merc chops? Side profile pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Yes i 100% agree. I think i once heard Wolfs back window was made out of plexi. Lucero's merc has the best 51 back window install i have personally seen. Gene & i was studying it back in 02? at the first all mercury show. Thats when i got to talk to the owner and his wife. He told me they used a new repop window as it was flatter and it was shaved a little off both sides and the bottom edge. He told me they had a real hard time refitting the stainless.This was along time ago but i think he told me Kenny Jennings? did the rear window install.

2. [​IMG]
    As for a 1951 Mercury...... I dont think it gets better then this.

3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Agreed!

4. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Was that Rudy's 51 in the pic? Very nice. If memory serves me, Joe Figs merc used to be in greyish primer with deleted taillights, then later in black primer with the current taillights. No I didn't just google that either :)

5. If you are talking about the pic I put up .....no that isn't Rudy's.It was Lucero's merc who was done by Dick Dean after the Book of Love merc was done.Dick also helped Rudy when he was doing his 51 merc,Rudy used to go to his shop during his time off and during lunchbreaks and talk to the Sultan about his 51.I think Rudy's came out real nice too but this Lucero one is just stunning from every angle.

6. Rudy R's had different chrome trim at the bottom of the back window.

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

some 51's had a flatter back glass in them, same as the 50's back window. finding one on the other hand that is a challenge. i showed the 51's back window part # to my glass guy and he told me his was a repopped one..

8. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Wolf's rear window opening has been cut down to make it flow better and it is plexi. I dont car if it is plexi. He made that roof flow very well.

9. laloszephyr

laloszephyr

This is a side view of my first chop on my old 50 merc. Pic is hanging on my wall so it might be hard to see. I read the rodders journal interview with paul bragg and thought i'd try, try to chop my merc the same way. 3inches in the front, 5 in the back.

Attached Files:

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Oh don't get me wrong, I am not dogging the car or the fact that it's plexi, it's just driven me nuts for years trying to figure that out. Good to know that if I am crazy I am in good company haha. Lalo, that's a pretty chop. Nick, you are such a firestarter.

11. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Aww c'mon Chris, you know I am a mellow old man :) Go NY Giants!

12. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Oh i never thought you were dogging on the car at all. I quoted you cause you were asking. I know what Wolf did cause he told me. LOL!!! We are all a bit crazy.

13. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Jeff!! except for those stupid driprails.....I hate them!
    -palle

14. banditomerc

banditomerc

This is the best example of the '51 Merc rear window treatment.nice pic of the profile.is this Joe Figueroas'Merc?

15. Well I agree with that 100% those should of been gone.:)

16. I just figured out how to post bigger pictures i hope :D. I personally prefer the 49/50 merc but for a 51 i like this one but i maybee a little bias.

I disagree with the masses and IMPO i think drip rails should be left on post style chops but ony if it looks factory and not molded in. On a hard top chop no drip rails.

[​IMG]

17. Bandito..........no that is not Figs car.It is a Merc that Dick Dean did and now it is owned by Palle.This was mentioned earlier in the thread.

18. 1951 Mercury build and formerly owned by Rudy Rodriguez: (pic from Rik's site)

[​IMG]

19. Any side profile shots ???

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"I disagree with the masses and IMPO i think drip rails should be left on post style chops but ony if it looks factory and not molded in. On a hard top chop no drip rails."

I agree on your drip rail observation.

I prefer slanted posts with drip rails on Merc chops and a back window that retains the reveal below the glass vs. the fastback/flush rear window. IMHO, chopped Mercs with posts and shaved drip rails seem to make the side windows smaller and they lose their definition making the quarter windows look as if they were cut out of a sheet metal blank rather than a factory window/line that had been carefully chopped.

FWIW, I generally don't care as much for hardtopped chopped Mercs. Again, it takes away from the factory lines and has that modern day 67 Impala roof treatment look to it. Like shaved drip rails, my mind is always asking if the builder left off the posts, rails to save work.

21. Normbc9

Normbc9

This is an old Boyd Coddington car. '51 Merc's were a favorite then. It is in Napa, CA. now.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

22. desotot

desotot

WOW , lot's of gorgeous mercs,, I love them all.

23. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

I gotta say.. Hands down one of the BEST chopped mercury's. I think i can count on both hands the best chopped mercury's. There are very few out there that show restraint and not go over board.

24. Thanks for the compliment^^^^:)

25. Rikster

Rikster

Some photos I tiook at the GNRS Customs Then & Now...

(I might have added some of these before... getting older...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And at the Mercury Gathering 2009

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  26. Skirv

Skirv

Nice additions Rikster.

Super photo of of your Merc Jeffsled. I've said it before, but it's spectacular.

Now, much to BICKFORD's dismay, here's an updated photo of Glassguy's Merc (previously posted in the thread) that I now own. I added spotlights, 7.10 Firestones, and Cadi Sombreros...

[​IMG]

27. Nice picture Skirv and the new tires look alot better and so do the spots.

Thanks for the compliment on my picture,it was taken while out for a cruise a couple of Weeks ago.

28. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doesn't matter if we can't remember if it has been posted before,
    Kool never gets old. Kool pics.

Happy Trails, Mick

29. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Actually this mercury has been one of my favorites since i 1st saw it and read everything i can find about it. I also got ahold Glassguy years ago to ask about it. To me it flow great and it use to be a 4 door. It is chopped much but it works on this mercury. The tires look good too.