Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best 12volt battery??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by batt69nova, Jan 20, 2012.

1. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Searched around on here for what battery everyone likes to run, and outside of it being obvious that nobody likes optima anymore I couldn't find a clear HAMB favorite.

So, what's the HAMB's choice for a 12V battery?

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

I've always had good luck with DieHard's from Sears. Good warranty.

3. I really like Interstate batteries. Also, ( I know this may be frowned upon) I have had very good luck with the ones from Walmart.
    I think you will get a more useful response if you let us know what your using it in. If you need something with alot of cranking amps or not. ect. Todd

4. I've had an Optima in my roadster for two years, love it.

5. 432bullet

432bullet

All of the batterys are made by just a few mfg's Interstate is good. You might look a wal-mart, I understand that they do not prorate their batterys ???

6. Same here....

7. I have an AutoZone Gold with no problems to date but it is only a year old.

8. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Costco....

9. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

I have good luck with Walmart batterys!!!!

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Since there are so few, about 3 maybe, manufacturers of batteries, any given battery you choose may be the same as the favorites. I think shopping by price is the biggest sin these days in batteries. Make sure the CCA are adequate and go for it.
    In reality, any well maintained battery will last to its limit. That may or may not the guaranteed life, 65 or 72 or months but it might.

11. derbydad276

derbydad276

the ones i get for 20 bucks at the junk yard

12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love my OPTIMA!!!---The sealed feature is a must in my trunk!---Used to have Sears diehards, but switched to Optima in 2000!

13. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

I've had a Costco battery in my Studebaker since 2001, still going strong.

14. Get the highest CCA and biggest battery you can fit. If the car sits for long periods of time, either disconnect the battery or better to put it on a battery tender or hook up a trickle charger to a timer for couple hours a day.

I have had good lluck with Wal-Mart batteries, and if you are awya form home, you can always find a Wal-Mart to take in for exchange or warranty. As stated, there are only about 3 battery mfrs, all the different brands are just different labels for the most part.

15. DIE HARD here for daily drivers, HAMB friendly rides, pleasure boat and my John Deere, TR

16. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I have an Optima red in my street rod. Its been great. Reason I bought it....the guy who runs a salvage yard here in town uses an Optima to carry from car to car to start them for people who want to hear the engines run. He told me the Optima lasts 3-4 times longer between charges than conventional batteries.

17. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

I'm a fan (performance wise) of AC-Delco sealed batteries personally. There are def. some design differences when it comes to battery construction, despite a few manufacturers builds other brands like mentioned above. When I was in school. I messed with many cut away batteries and any battery that can possibly catch the active material from falling off and possibly shorting out the other plate (+ to -) regardless of the insulator plate for each cell is a good selling point in my opinion. Die-Hard are good batteries, but they have ALOT of $$$ invested in advertisement to get the brand name out. Do not get me wrong, I just bought a GOLD Die-Hard for my pos Cavalier, but that was because 5 stores near me no longer carried AC-Delco... And I'm a Mopar guy, so I'm not being brand biased...

18. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

So far:

DieHard: 3
    Interstate: 2
    Optima: 3
    Autozone Gold: 1
    Walmart: 3
    Delco:1

Wonder who manufacturers the batteries for wally?

It's worth noting the number of Walmarts around...a warranty is only as good as the ability to cash in on it if needed.

19. I've learned from my mistakes. I used Interstate batteries for years but tried others due to cost.

I tried batteries like Exide, DuraLast (Neverlast), whatever the hell junk Advance Auto Parts sells and WalMart NeverStart batteries just plain SUCK!

Sure places like WalMart warranty them with absolutely no problem at all. But constantly taking back a battery gets old.... real fuckin' old!

The bottom line is that I went back to Interstate batteries and I'm not looking back! Fuck it!

And here's a little F.Y.I.: Interstate and Sears are the same battery made by the same company.

20. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

The best battery is the heaviest. The thicker the lead plates the longer they last, the more they weigh.

Stay away from Duralast, and wally worlds and other off brands. Stick with Interstate or My choice NAPA gold, I always buy the one for the 1997 Ford F350 with the 7.3 PSD it has the longest reserve.

21. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

As said costco kirkland batteries are the best i know of.

22. Truckedup

Truckedup

I get 7 or 8 years from whatever brand is the least expensive at the time.

23. Rookie1

Rookie1

FYI,
    NEW CASTLE BATTERY ,New Castle,Pa.

Don't Say It ! Take a look ! Made in AMERICA

http://shop.turbostart.com/Collector-Car-Series_c2.htm
    I worked for a emergency generator company for 11 years, we never had one defective battery and i shipped or installed hundreds.

24. I'm voting Interstate- and I'm extra thrifty so I go to the dealer and buy one that has a case blemish, new 30 or 35 bucks depending on the size. I cut out the tray lip on my forklift so I could use the bigger (and for some reason cheaper) size too.

25. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Check out the Odysey Batteries. Small, powerful and sealed. I use one in my 32 Tudor under the rear seat. Weighs about 11 lbs, is about 6 X 7 X 3". US military now uses them

26. Cerberus

Cerberus

IMO, Optima Red is the best battery money can buy! Plus, they look perty, kinda like a six pack.

27. And how much do they cost????

28. I have been running a Die Hart Batt for the last 20 years
    in 3 different Cars my Link, Van & Merc Never had a Problem
    when I lived in AZ. I would use Recondition Bats they
    lasted quite a long time for 20 bucks
    you could not go wrong

just my 3.5 cents

29. Cruiser

Cruiser

Works for me too.................... :D

CRUISER :cool:

30. Jimmy2car