The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ME.GASSER, Jun 2, 2010.
Amaaaazing skills and glad its saved from rotting away or being turned into a Toyota!
I want to thank you guys for the compliments. I spent some time this week installing the two patch panels that i made. It takes alot of time and patients to make a weld this long and not distort the metal. I was quite happy with how they came out.
I was working on the doors. At some point somebody welded the hinges to the body. I cut them free and spent about 10 hours realigning them. The drivers side door hit the striker. It had a shim behind it so i took it apart to remove the shim. What i found was that at some point the striker had broken free from the body and the shim and a couple of washers was what they used to do the repair. One picture is of the hole cleaned up. The other picture is of the cage i made to hold the bolt plate and of the patch for the hole.
The left picture shows the cage installed. The right picture shows the repair completed.
Awesome thread, your a lucky guy.
With the striker installed.
This is how i wanted the door to fit. Alot of work but well worth it.
I only wish i had half your talent. Your project is just awesome.
Lower left quarter panel damage. After i removed the patch panel i dicovered damage to the door post.
I fabed up a new repair panel and it's ready to weld.
great job on the car, that drivers door seam lines up awesome ,
What a great project, just went through the thread and feel I'm up to speed now. I always enjoy seeing restorations were the owner makes missing parts, and saves a rough project. Look forward to more updates. Bob
glad you kept the car, great work saving another old gasser!
Larry, its looking great! Keep the pics coming!
Very coo project done by some very cool people! I can't wait to see her back on the track again!
Hope to see ya at the York, Pa show in july.
Thanks Rocky. Can't wait to see you this year.
Our year is kind of up in the air because of a family medical issue but we hope to be there. Make sure to say hi.
Made a little more progress on the coupe. While i was waiting for parts to arrive i decided to tackle a few small projects. First was to add a pocket in the top of the cowl for the hood hinge. The cowl is a 37 and they are completely different. The picture showing the top of the cowl shows the two holes on the sides where the hinge would go. My original plan was to plug these holes and create the hinge pocket. My friend Randy (thanks Randy) talked me into changing the cowl top to a 40. To do this i had to remove the firewall. This requires drilling out about 40 spot welds. The cowl top requires drilling out another 40 spot welds. So you can see we turned a small project into a big one but it will be worth it. While i had the firewall out i plugged all the holes.
The first picture shows the 40 cowl top in place. The second is the firewall installed.
While i was working up front i decided to repair some issues with the windshield wiper holes. At some point they brazed patches over the original holes and hammered them flat. Then later they drilled new holes next to the old one's. I knew that i had work to do here so i saved the front of the roof from the old sedan and cut out the pieces that i needed and welded them in place.
My quarter panels and door bottoms showed up late lastweek so i decided to tackle them. First is the right quarter. I spent part of yesterday and today fitting and adjusting so that it suited me. It is now all welded in place. The vise grips are holding in the filler panel that goes between the floor and the quarter. That is also welded in at this point. I lined up the inner fender and completly welded that in place. All i have left to do on this quarter is intall the 5 cage nuts. I will tackle the other side tomorrow. What a way to spend a week off
I finally got the left side quarter on. I had to do some adjusting on the inner fender to get it to line up all the way around. I'm happy with the finished product. I did get delayed working on another little project. I will post a picture of it here.
This little hot rod is for our god son Gavin. It had a few dents, a few tears and the front was pushed in. I bead blasted it, welded all the cracks and repaired the front. My nephew (the god son's father) will be painting this. He paints all of my cars for me. He's an awesome painter, graphics artist and pin stripper.
We know that there is a wanted section on the site but since it has to do with this build we thought we would put it here. I need a few parts. I am looking for one rust free door garnish moulding. I also need a pair of trunk support arms and if anybody has a rust free package tray i could use that as well. These pieces are all that i need to make this an all steel willys. If you have anything PM me a price and i will get back to you. Thanks.
I can only say ... WOW!!
I will continue to watch with my mouth wide open.
awesome thread,keep up the good work
The 60's Willys gassers were so cool yeah,but i hated how some were sawed up for racing.Glad your putting the body back with stock parts again like the firewall etc.
Separate names with a comma.