Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bent Spindle?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ml_engr, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ml_engr

ml_engr

So rebuilt my hubs, brakes, backing plates, had the spindles reamed at a machine shop. All the part were puchased along the way and and I have never had the together.

Finally got some time to assemble the front end and it looks like the spindle is bent. The hub sits out about 3/16 more at the bottom than the top. If I remove the outer bearing its clear that its bent. After cursing at it for a good 10 minutes it didnt get any better.
    Spindles is the passenger side squareback

So the question is can do I start to hunt a new one down or can it be straightened/bent back?? If it can be bent any ideas on how to do so?

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Far better to get a nother one that is not bent,there just not that hard to get,so not a thing to take a change with at all/;)

3. I agree with dm,replacement is not that big of a deal. HRP

4. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Could possibly be heated and moved back to almost right. But why take the risk on a critically important steering part. If you go that route magnaflux it for cracks. A new spindle will also help you to sleep better.

5. metal man

metal man

I think he's talking about a '42-'48 Ford spindle. No ball joints on those.

I also agree...find a good spindle. The square backs are easy and cheap enough to find.

6. metal man

metal man

You ARE sure that the spindle is bent, and it's not the axle, right? You should check the king pin angle on both sides.

7. Is not the axle. He's looking at how the angle of the spindle itself is.
    I agree. This is a critical part. Even if you could straighten it ... It would always be in the back of your mind. Replace it.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No ball joint on a Ford I beam axle. Now I see that someone else caught that too.

mi_engr it looks like that "great" swap meet deal on the spindles wasn't all that great but we all have been through that one before.

9. ml_engr

ml_engr

Logic told me to get a new one...I was looking for a reason to ignore it.

Already got a post up in the wanted section. Trying to get my vin verified so I will leave the part on for now...just another delay.

Thanks for all the responses, and confirming my suspisions

Mr48...no kidding huh, you never know.

10. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Are you comparing to the backing plate or is it krooked to the "world"? Either case... I would make sure the backing plate is not bent ...or in the other case you may have a Lincoln spindle instead of a ford one..

12. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

If your spindle snout is bent the brake drum will not spin as it will contact and rub on the backing plate or the brake shoes. If you have cut off the steering arms and installed the spindle upside down the spindle will index with the upper face of the hub tapering at an angle to the center of the car, thus the hub wider at the bottom than the top. The spindle has positive camber so the top of the hub has to point away from the center of the car. Post a picture of your issue and you can get a better response as to your problem.

13. ml_engr

ml_engr

Dick, the snout is bent and doing exactly that what you describe. The drum is locked up against the backing plate and shoes at the top. Arms are still on it, so it right side up. Tried using parts from the other side that spins with the same result.

I have accepted that I need a new one...bummer, and another set back
    However the PD is coming over this weekend to check the VIN so its staying together for the time being

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Wow, I don't think that I've ever seen one bent "up". The car it came off of must have fallen off a roof.

15. olskool34

olskool34

Or driven on Michigan roads at some point in it's life..

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Yeah, we have families living in some of the potholes here. Lol

17. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

I have plenty of spindles what do you need?

18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Having the spindles reamed indicated it was likely a straight axle.

19. It can be straightened in an arbor press. I would probably find a straight one if it were mine but it can be straightened.

20. ml_engr

ml_engr

Good news is I got a few offers on the spindle. Looking forward to actually having a roller.

Thanks HAMB

21. ml_engr

ml_engr

Problem solved...new spindle installed and I now have a roller!!

I love the HAMB, gentleman from AZ sent me one to check out, without payment, on the honor system based only on my membership here. He earned some major CARma...and a check.