Register now to get rid of these ads!

bent HEMI connecting rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30dodgeboy, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Pulled this out of my 354 Chrysler industrial... that cylinder must have been hydraulic'ed (with water) at some point. The engine had an unknown history, but was on an irrigation pump. Maybe it got water down the carb? The steel shim head gasket was intact yet. Anyone ever seen this before and know the exact cause? Curious if it was done during cranking or if it somehow was really ran that way. Or is it the low compression version...?

2. 30 Model A

30 Model A
    from Canada

I dont think the cause was due to a hydraulic condition but I could be worng,generaly the rod will twist in a circular motion and that rod certainly doesnt look twisted at all(doesnt even look stressed). Are there any issues with the crank or damage to the valves....Ya gotta provide a few more pieces to the puzzle.Was there damage to the oil pan or there leading edge to the block where the pan meets block..

3. I bent one like that,in a driving school car,
    at New Smyrna Speedway in Florida.

Motor got too hot,cracked a head,then bent the rod
    bump starting it.Still ran fine,just vibrated like Hell under braking.
    When the vibration got bad enough that I couldn't see,
    I gave up on it.Luckily,it didn't hurt the block.

Still have the rod and piston.

4. No damage to heads or valves at all. Block had no damage other than a split water jacket from freezing:rolleyes:. Pan had evidence of a rod exiting and was brazed up at an overhaul - but that was on cylinder #3. This rod came out of cyl #1... I know this engine was overhauled at least once since the cylinders are .030" oversize, which is not a typical factory oversize used by Chrysler.

5. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

what did the piston look like?
    It almost look slike NOS blew it but you should see some signs of that. Weird.

6. 2manybillz

2manybillz

Saw one like that in a BBC - bad carb - filled a cylinder with gas - wouldn't crank so they decided to push start it with a wrecker. Got it started but had a vibration. When it was torn down the rod looked just about like yours.

7. Piston looked fine except for making contact with the nearest crankshaft counterweight (the rod is shorter when bent).

NOS? on an irrigation pump? I don't think so. This thing probably ran on LP, as the intake was a 2bbl and had a factory adapter down to a 1bbl.