Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bendix Scintilla Magneto Switch Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ratspit, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Ratspit

Ratspit

I picked up this NOS Bendix Scintilla magneto switch the other day and would like to use it on my build. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for one of these switches or know where I might find a wiring schematic? As far as I can tell it is designed for a dual ignition system that uses a mag and a battery/coil. Also curious if anyone has figured out the terminals?

Attached Files:

OzMerc39 and loudbang like this.
  2. triumph 1

triumph 1

Cool switch! It shouldn’t be difficult to figure out the terminal connections using a multi meter set on continuity.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Ratspit

Ratspit

Thanks T1, I'll give that a go.

loudbang likes this.
  4. jaracer

jaracer

Looks like something for a Model T.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Looks like an aircraft switch. Aircraft use twin mags. Lippy

loudbang and jimmy six like this.
  6. Ratspit

Ratspit

Definitely an aircraft switch. I think it is probably from the 30s or 40s. I found a reference to the switch and they talked about a dual ignition system like I mentioned above. There are also similar switches with a twin mag setup.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Ratspit

Ratspit

Pulled the back cover and did a continuity test. The mag and ground are connected as one would expect. And the battery, coil, and generator are all together. 20210301_101129_resized.jpg

8. MojoRacing

MojoRacing

Definitely aircraft. I have one similar out of a B17, it has 1 main switch lever with 2 others 1 on both sides of it for two engines on each wing. I plan on using it to kill the mag with 1 switch, headlights on the other and the main the kill the power. They're not very difficult to figure out, they just seem intimidating at first glance.

loudbang likes this.
  9. 32partsguy

32partsguy
    from DFW,Texas!

That is SO COOL!

loudbang and OzMerc39 like this.
  10. Would love a switch like that for my Vertex scintilla !!!

20200509_133439.jpg

V8-m and loudbang like this.
  11. I've had several Vertex's. Scintilla is from the original name. I believe the only thing important is mag and ground. The wire off the side of the mag goes to the mag and connect a ground and you should have an operational unit.

12. squirrel

squirrel

The aircraft switches I've seen are for two mags...they usually say L and R

The Model T has a similar switch, but not nearly as nice...this one looks like it could be for military use, or something. The connections look like they're for shielded wire.

The GEN connection is the only one I'm not sure of. Does it get disconnected in the OFF position?

13. Ratspit

Ratspit

In the off position the only two terminals with continuity on the switch are the mag and ground. Thus turning off the mag with the ground. When the switch is in battery or both the gen., bat., and coil are all connected.

I'm hoping to set this switch up to power all the systems on board my truck when the switch is in the battery or both mode, then use the magneto circuit to operate the mag. Battery terminal would supply power into switch and then the coil terminal would feed the fuse panel. Not sure if I can run the generator wire through the switch or if it would be better to run it directly to the battery to charge the system.