Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bending Stainless steel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod31, Nov 6, 2010.

1. HotRod31

HotRod31

If I use heat to bend a S/S rod (shifter) Will it damage the Temper ? Will I be able to polish it back out or does the heat permantly dis-color it ?

Thanks,Mark

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Not for sure about changing the temper. It may depend on the alloy of your piece, but I would think it would not be damaged to where it would not function. Heat will not permanently discolor stainless. It should polish up great. Stu

3. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I would not worry about the temper. You will have to re polish I work with stainless almost everyday good luck. Also yo could bend the stainless cold if you can get leverage on it make it easier to polish out.

4. HotRod31

HotRod31

Thanks for the replys. I am wanting to put a little bend (20-30 degree) in a S/S Gennie shifter handle. I can get the leverage but thought it would be to brittle to bend cold.

Thanks,Mark

5. i don't believe the Gennie Shifter handle is stainless...at least mine isn't, it's chrome plated steel

6. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Put a magnet on it if it sticks its steel. If you can cold bend it you might not even have to polish.

7. shockley_67

shockley_67

i bent some stainless rod with heat and it apeared to get brittle like it was getting small cracks at the bend. without heat it didnt do this it was a much smoother bend. i was bending much smaller rod then you are trying so that may make a differance. i was working with 3/8". of course i may have been applying the heat all wrong.

8. don't heat the stainless [if it is stainless i would think it might be chrome] above a dull red. it will burn the chrome out of it and change it's properties. file under the boot where it won't show to see if the chrome comes off or not.

9. HotRod31

HotRod31

It is advertised as S/S its the lo-stik.

Thank, Mark

10. Alfred_E_Newman

Alfred_E_Newman
    from USA

Yup it's gonna discolor it.