Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical bench seat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Larrysgarage, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Larrysgarage

Larrysgarage
    from Palatka,Fl

no seat for a 34 ford truck,what is the easiest seat to shorten to fit in cab? definitely don't want buckets,thanks, Larry

2. lawman and patmanta like this.
  3. Caravan seat does work well. But thought it was the rear. No matter, once you find an early caravan, a quick look will tell which one will work.

Cosmo

lawman likes this.
  4. I might have to check in to one of them for the front seat of my oldmobile station wagon.Thanks.Bruce.

5. Larrysgarage

Larrysgarage
    from Palatka,Fl

thanks will ck out the caravan,Larry

6. Make one,I used plywood and foam for my 32 pickup,pretty simple to make. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a thread awhile back, (last year?) by a great upholsterer in the L.A. area, did a whole how-to just as HOTRODPRIMER suggests.
    Inasmuch as your pickup is of the '32-'34 'monarchy', anything less than the original style with the wood frame and side forms just won't do.
    The article was such that I'm styling one for my '55 F100. (getting those buckets out, so young trophy wife can sit next to me...)

8. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I used a rear bench seat out of a 90's Ford Bronco for my 41 pickup , that is no much wider than a '34, I cut down the center of the frame, cut the foam a like amount and welded the frame back & glued the foam back & had the local auto trimmer cut out the center & sewed it up again since it was leathe I was just going to dye it black. DSC00363.JPG

9. Foam & plywood. HRP

[​IMG]

low budget and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Same here, Plywood and foam with a very thin back for leg room.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Plywood, foam and no back for leg room. Material glued to back panel. Uncomfortable? You betcha.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The middle seat from a Dodge caravan is the narrow one of the two back seats. Probably late 80's early 90's would work best. On The 91 we had for years you could pop the back seats out in a minute or so by undoing a couple of clips so snagging some at Pick a Part should be easy. The rear seat is wider but is hinged to fold down which might work in a truck if you are willing to narrow the seat frame and redo the cushion. That would give you easy access behind the seat.

I had plywood and foam (4 inch") in my T bucket and never again. That was a real short distance seat for my butt. 50 miles one way was my limit with it.

13. amadeus

amadeus

Jeep CJ Rear seat (some even hinge forward)

14. The secret to foam is to use the high density foam,I drove over 600 miles in one day in my '32 pickup,my butt was fine but being 6'4" tall I had a hard time walking when I got out!:D HRP

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine had the cheap foam I'll admit. seating wasn't too comfy in that car anyhow.

16. OOps... Caravan middle row seat in a 28Tudor.

17. I used a S10 seat in the Roadster. Shortened it through the middle about 5" or so. It folds forward too.
    Additional foam and a new cover stitched in wide pleats. Looks like it belongs there...

18. YIKES! LOL.

19. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

As stated caravan middle seat works great. No cutting required.

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hey, when you're 6' 4" you can have fruit on you seat cover.

I used couch cushion seat foam for my home made seat. Cheap, easy to get, plenty firm. It's made for asses. ;)

21. chargin03

chargin03

caravan seat.perfect

22. Have used middle caravan seat in over 20 of em.

23. earlymopar

earlymopar

The problem I found years ago when considering a caravan or other Chrysler van middle seats is that they are rectangular and didn't fit the taper of my mid 30's pickup. I opted to buy a bench seat from a Mazda B2200 since it was a nice welded tubular frame. I cut it to narrow it to the correct width and then "pinched" the front of it to match the taper of my cab. This gave me a perfect fitting seat, with folding back and a seat track if I wanted. I think Ipaid $15 for the seat at a U-Pull-it kind of yard.
    - EM

24. Blow by, no offence was meant. You just dont see that every day.Good eye catcher!!!!

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Non taken. Not my truck. Mine has veggies. I'm only 6'. ;)

26. I am only 5 7 lol.Bruce.

27. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

You might check out the mid 80's Suburban third row seats, they pop right out and have a good metal frame.

28. My old deuce pickup,the story goes my mom bought the material for curtains back in 64 and my dad said hell no so many years later after both may parents passed away I found the material when cleaning out there home and threw the bag in the truck and took it home.

I was looking for something to cover the seat in my truck temperately,,it was there for 7 years. HRP

[​IMG]

29. doesn't Mac have original seat frames on the cheap....