Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bench seat rehab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B Ramsey, Dec 3, 2017.

1. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I have this original bench seat from an old Ford truck. The material is in really good shape. I cleaned the vinyl with Gojo hand cleaner and it really looks good.
    My concern is the burlap under the bottom seat cover. It is rotten and disintegrating. Is this a problem?
    Should I replace it? Can I do something here to make the seat last longer without undoing the seat cover? Maybe fish a new piece of burlap or something under there.
    Any suggestions? 15123226212521563937411.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My experience says that on old seats the stuffing especially if it is foam starts coming apart pretty fast when you start driving the rig if you didn't redo it. I've had some nice looking seats just flat fall apart stuffing/foam wise after putting them in and driving for a while. That is usually on seats that sat for quite a while before I got my hands on them in the wrecking yard.

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

If you really want to save the seat. Tear it all apart. Cut all the seams apart. Glue scrim backed foam on all the seperate pieces. !/2 in on the faces and 1/4 inch everywhere else. This will give it strength. Resew it back together. The stitching will rot and the seat will come apart if you don`t do this. This is a good time to inspect the foam and springs and make repairs if needed. Replace all listings where the metal wires run, Trust me.