Register now to get rid of these ads!

Belt or Disk Sander ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1Bad67, Jan 18, 2012.

1. 1Bad67

1Bad67

Which do you use most? I have the plans for both from the old American Rodder Shop Time series. I don't have room for both, so I need to pick one.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We only have a 12 inch disc and use it a lot, but I would love to have a really decent belt sander too. Like any other tool each one has it's advantages and places where they work best.

Don

3. wally55

wally55

I prefer to use the disc sander.It does remover metal nice and fast,and you can tilt the table to keep your faces nice

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

even though I have a 12" disc sander, I think the belt sander is more practical assuming you use a big belt. you really only get 6" of sanding surface with the disc.

...unless you are like the dork I had in my woodshop class in high school... he was sanding some wood on the up side of the disc and sawdust was going everywhere. the teacher called a bunch of us over and we stood there watching as he covered himself with dust.

5. My Rockwell has a 12" disc and a 6x48 belt. All in just over 1 sq foot of floor space.

6. I use boath. why? course grit on belt and fine grit on disc for finish Ihave a combo ...Disc-belt unit 4'x24' belts and 7' disc. Home Depot around $70.00 bucks. Its small but it works great.

7. I have a 14" disc sander and two Burr King Belt sanders. If I could only have one, it would be the Burr King ~ by far.

8. cl350rr

cl350rr

10 inch disc. i just sold my belt sander because i never use it

9. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

I've got a combination unit, but the belt is used more.

Belt works best for surfaces, disc for edges. Which do you do most?:cool:

10. 1Bad67

1Bad67

Thanks for all the replies. I think we'll build a disk sander. If nothing else it looks like an easier project. Part of the reason for building it is that my 13 year old son is showing an interest in building something, and this seems like a good father/son project. We can do some lathe work, some torch cutting, a little welding. Hopefully the next post I make will be a picture of a working disk sander.

11. 1Bad67

1Bad67

That makes sence. I think we will be mostly cleaning up cut edges.

12. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I got a 3HP 3"x72" belt sander two years ago and have not used my 12" disc sander since.

13. cheveey57

cheveey57

14. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Right now in middle school ! I use both alot for my projects:rolleyes:

15. Jerome W Hartmann

Jerome W Hartmann

I have a mint delta combo from the 80's when there tools were still built with quality. It's a 12" disc 6x48 belt. Rarely use the disc but it might come in handy on certain objects. From wood to metal it might be the best tool in my shop and it gets the job done. Don't by new if possible find something from maybe the 90's and down delta or rockwell. There is a cutoff somewhere where there tools went down hill. Build your disc if you want and down the road get a belt you will love it!

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I built a 220 v 5 hp 20” disc at work …. Unbelievably killer !!!!
    Easy to build
    ( watch your fingers )

17. lakester47

lakester47

I have to agree with Hotroddon and Rob Paul, a high quality 2X72" belt grinder is as good as it gets. That's why virtually every custom knifemaker uses at least one. You can get any grit belt you can imagine for them. I have two homemade disk sanders and a Burr Buster 2X72. I use the 2X72 10 to 1 over the disk sanders. Don't misunderstand, the disk sanders are good, it's just that the 2X72 is so versatile. My 2 cents.

18. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I have a 6"x48" Enco sander with a 12" disc; which I've had for twenty years. It doesn't take much floor space and I use it all of the time.

19. I use a Sears 12 In disk and a 6X48 belt combo unit,one of the most used tools next to my Mig welder. Use both disk and belt.
    Tom

20. If I owned this company, and you worked there, you wouldn't any more. The company should have had someone with half of a brain to do a intro, not sneak around with some lame ass story, become an Alliance Vendor, and take advantage of this awesome place called the H.A.M.B. Nice try kid, some of us were born at night, but it wasn't last night.

21. Kornflake

Kornflake
    from Pella IA

I don't work for Tricktools, but I do know them well. The business is here in Pella. Sorry if I did something wrong. I am new to this site, and this is the first time posting. Just thought I'd toss my two cents in on the belt or disc question and share my experience and info.

I think the idea of building a tool with your son is great! Go for it!

I really like this site except for how cruel it seems some people try to be to others. That part I don't understand??? I will however take any advise on what I can and can't post. BTW what is an intro? Like I said I'm new here. Thanks.

22. You handled that well new guy. I'll be the first to welcome you then. You will see if you stick around we get a lot of SPAM here. The management doesn't appreciate it, and neither does the guy's who contribute a lifetime of knowledge appreciate it.
    At the top of the page is a place or tab you can click on for new members to do an intro.
    " NEW TO THE HAMB, INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE ".
    That's a way to weed out the spammers, and people who have little or no regard for the policy's in place by the powers to be. They work real hard at keeping this show on the road. Bogging it down with spam and O/T or Off Topic discusssions are prohibited and are dealt with accordingly. An intro is just that, Hi I'm so and so, and I do this and that and I'm building or are interested in such and such. Basically 1964 and older. Again, welcome and hope I have answered your questions, TR

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  23. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

24. They both have their place. Depends on the job you are doing.

I've got a Rockwell combination 6" belt -12" disc machine,
    only slightly footprint than a Rockwell 12" disc machine.

Also have a Progress 4" belt sander.

If you search around the serious knife making sites,
    there are freebie plans for making NICE belt grinders.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 220V 3-pahse 16" MAX pedestal disc sander. Sold the belt sander years ago.

26. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I have a 6"x48" belt and 12" disk combo. I use it almost every day. It is one of those tools I think I cant live without. I use the belt alot more than the disk. I think it depends on the kind of fabricating you do.

27. Kornflake

Kornflake
    from Pella IA

Thanks, I will be sure to introduce myself when I have a chance. Also, point well taken on the off topic discussion on here. I appreciate your kindness. The last thing I want is a bunch of old hot rodders ticked off at me.

28. Joe Jackman

Joe Jackman
    from SoCal

29. i own ans use a 6x48 belt and 12" disc combo, i prefer the belt, especially when i pull the platen and use it as a slack belt, you can do so much that way. My quest machine is a Burr King as mentioned earlier. if you have used one you will want one. I am also in the middle of building a 2x72 belt grinder, belts are cheapest per square inch and you can get virtually any type and grit. if you do it right, you can have many different setups on the same machine. flat platen, slack, different contact wheels etc. as mentioned look at the knife grinders - there is a whole subculture of these out there.

for a first project, the disc should be much simpler and that is a good thing, good luck

30. P5080004.jpg

I built this 2x72 belt sander a few years ago out of cast off parts and a new motor. I use it every day and couldn't manage without it.