Register now to get rid of these ads!

Belt Driven Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jkeesey, Aug 30, 2013.

1. jkeesey

jkeesey

Alright guys, I've got an electric fuel pump on my A and I don't trust it one bit. It stuck on me driving to work one day and after that I want it gone. I have seen belt driven fuel pumps before and the cheapest ones I can find searching are over $200. Does anyone know of some old alternative? Maybe a tractor, boat, airplane, who cares just something that wouldn't be shiny anodized and cost an arm and a leg?

2. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

If it was me I'd be interested in the type of pump, and what made it "stick."
    If it got a mouthful of rust or some other debris then I think a belt driven pump would probably stick too.

3. jkeesey

jkeesey

I know it got some rust but through 2 filters not too much. Its one of the cheap inline pumps sold by Snyders for 6v cars. I have had them not work right out of the box.

4. I would look for another brand of 6v electric pump. There would be more things to go wrong with a belt driven pump (busted belt, bearings, leaks, etc).
    Put a spare in the trunk if you're really worried abou it.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ponder this boat dude's idea for a minute. And an fyi, Olds 350, 400 & 455 and more have a metal fuel pump cam that bolts on the front of the timing gear on the cam and so do 425,472 and 500 Cads so making a box that you can bolt a common mechanical pump to and operate it with a cam mounted on a shaft driven by a pulley is quite possible. http://www.performanceboats.com/dyno/70034-home-made-belt-drive-fuel-pump.html

6. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

2 filters?
    Where are they installed & what micron are they?

7. jkeesey

jkeesey

Theres a pencil filter that installs into the shutoff valve going up into the tank, only catches big stuff really. The second one is one of the clear in line filters off the shelf not sure how many microns. Im installing a reusable sediment bowl style in place of the second one tonite. Mr.48chev those are the kind of facts I was looking for!

8. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

What motor is this for?

9. jkeesey

jkeesey

Stock 4 banger with downdraft setup.

10. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

i run a electric fuel pump on both my cars, big clear plastic filter before the pump to catch the big stuff, and smaller clear plastic before the carb.

11. jkeesey

jkeesey

Installed the new filter this morning, took the car for a ride and it was great for about 10 minutes and then the pump started cutting out. I'm going to get one of the Mr. Gasket pumps later and mount a small 12v battery in the bed specifically for the pump. Sadly I'm going to miss the show this morning but I hope to have her run able again by Monday for the next one. I'm drawing up the plans to make a mechanical pump as described in the earlier link.

12. stimpy

stimpy

I used belt driven pumps for racing and you do not want to use one on a street car unless you have mechanical fuel injection experience , as you have to run a bypass valve set up as the pressure and volume increases as the motor speed increases , ( there is no small volume pumps ) 2. you have to have a tank surge mounted higher than than the pump for the excess fuel to return too unless the tanks is in front of the car or built into the engine compartment 3. they do not work as a suction pump , only pressure , and they cavitate when trying to pull fuel , so you still have to have a transfer pump move the fuel from the main to the surge tank unless you mount your main fuel tank in front of the car and above the pump inlet. and they do not last as long as a electric or oem pump . and if you run them dry or get dirt in it , it can cost you $$$ to rebuild or replace one .

13. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

What about run a holley blue pump?

14. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

If you run a Holley blue ,you will have to run a regulator & a gauge.

Have you tried running your truck W/O the gas cap,sometimes they are not vented and will suck all of the air from the gas tank and cause the pump to stop pulling fuel.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You could use the pump part of a Holley red or blue pump and drive it with a belt mounted in a bracket made by you. On maybe you can salvage the pump section of your pump that died. They were driven by an electric motor but there is no reason they could not be driven by your banger.

16. ev88f

ev88f

Carter makes a good 6v fuel pump. Friend of mine ran one for years until he switched to 12v, never had any problems

17. jkeesey

jkeesey

My brother professionally works on construction equipment and has just informed me of a small vacuum fuel pump that I may try.

18. castirondude

castirondude

Some of the electric pumps are really bad at priming and need to be below the tank. That's the main source of problems i've had.

I've taen a liking to the electric pumps + return line for cooler fuel, easy replacement. I have a switch on the dash so if you want to park the car for a while you can let the carb run dry. Conversely you can run the pump for awhile after sitting for instant starts

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

19. castirondude

castirondude

There is a carter part# for an inline pump with carb pressure that was used in OEM applications and is very reliable, something like an '83 corvette. I'll look it up tonight

Of course it's "cool" to have a belt driven pump

20. squeaky32

squeaky32

i have the same setup in my galaxie and its perfect for me. only problem ive had is a few times forgetting to turn it on when i start the car after a quick stop and freak out because i think im out of gas going down the road haha

21. jkeesey

jkeesey

I forgot to charge my separate battery that controls my fuel pump and had it completely stop coming back from a local show. Luckily I was 1/2 mile from my parents place so I just jumped it and ran the rest of the way home.

22. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Even a "traditionally styled" hot rod would not use a belt driven fuel pump.

23. castirondude

castirondude

That's actually a great anti theft feature. When you think about it a thief might tinker for a while to get the car going, but once they pull out on the highway and the car stops they'll probably just leave it there.