Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bellytank Quick Change & GearBox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSTIN, Nov 19, 2009.

1. RUSTIN

RUSTIN

Can any one tell me what sort of quickchange that the old crow tank is running? and if any one has one they'd like to sell if they'd PM me please.

Also i'm no to sure on what sort of gearbox i'm goin to run, i definately want to have gears and a clutch, i'm running an 8ba Flathead and i was thinking maybe a ford sideshift gearbox (which came out in ford customlines and mainline utes out here in Australia) anyone have any better ideas? I need something that is nice and short, something i can get an adapter plate easy enough to bolt up to an 8ba, something thats going to be strong and i like to have something with sideshift as it's going to be easier to set the linkages up. or do you think this gearbox will be capable?
    Are there parts i can get to strengthen it up?

Also just one more question :) I'm hoping around 150 - 160mph would i need to change the gearing in this box at all?
    And what sort of diff gears would you suggest?
    Any help would be great!
    Thanks!

Jimmy K

2. Jimmy there is a guy in NZ making new QC's V8 and Midget (a-model type) depending on what rear your are running. They are nice quality, I am about to buy one myself.
    The old crow guys would run a V8 type, but thats just a guess.

The customline boxes are allot longer than the earlier flathead boxes, you should be able to pick up a column shift box pretty cheap, I have a few spares for a flathead side shift if you get stuck.
    With the diff gearing, unless you buy a new crown and pinion, you will have to work with what you can get, you can always swap em out later.

3. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

You could use any type of rear you want as long as if fits into the tank. I am going to use a Halibrand 301 case QC case with ford tubes. As for a trans i would find something that is short. You dont want to take up a ton of room with a long tranny, it is just a waste. You could use either a top or side shift. I agree with you that a side shift would be much easier to figure out the linkage, but if you dont end up finding one and have to use a top shift PM me i will draw you out a little sketch of how you can make a linkage for a top shift trans, its rather easy.

Mike

4. RUSTIN

RUSTIN

Yeah running the smaller V8 8-3/4 type, so whose the guy in NZ? website? would still love on of the one old crow has if any one can help?
    i might get that little sketch off you too mike sounds good.

So i'm still ummming about what type of gearbox to run and what gear set and ratio i should be running?

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. RussTee

RussTee

you are looking for derek thomason kiwi quickchanges antiqueford@xtra.co.nz makes quickchanges for model a and sidie v8

6. 36tbird

36tbird

Have I been leaving off the caps on the acetone I keep in my garage again, or is it possible to fit in a cut down automatic leaving out the torque converter and just using a valve selector for a trans? If you are going to get pushed off, would something like that work and save space? Just brain storming for my future tank project.

7. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

gearing is where its at. you need something thats overdrive. or more than 1 to 1. do they have any sort of doubling coupler? so in stead of 1 to 1 you would have 1 to 2? can you imagine 150 mph at idle speed heading up to 200 oh yesss:D

8. RUSTIN

RUSTIN

So working on another project ATM, and i'm trying to workout what Gear ratio i should run in my quick change.
    Its powered by a flathead with a clutch but no gearbox just straight through to the QC.
    I want to be able to drive around in this with out having to have a push start and to be able to take off comfortably with the flathead and to cruise at around 40-60kms/h (25-35mph).

Any suggestions on what Quickchange ratio gears i will need??

9. RUSTIN

RUSTIN

So i think i will be running 16/22 gears with a 5.65 Ratios.
    Will post some pics up of her soon!

10. Dr Goggles

Dr Goggles

You still building a tank mate? Are you planning on DLRA or something else?

11. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

if you're just running an in-and-out box, i think you're going to have trouble gearing it so that you can cruise around at 25-35 but still hit 160 when you want to. where would you be planning on just driving it around?

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, definitely run a gear box with a flathead. you need to factor in final HP, tire size, etc before you decide on gear ratio.