Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bellytank build - Power by the Fabulous Flathead Ford V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by awelker, Dec 5, 2008.

1. this is benchmark stuff, great design, great fabrication, great innovation and blending/balance of fabricated component with bolt-on pieces , and effort added for the detail, very impressive.......I expect you will be rewarded with good speed as well as it 'ticks all the boxes' thus far.....wow.

Look forward to seeing more,

Drewfus:)

2. awelker

awelker

Thanks for all the comliments. Hopefully this thing turns out the way I see it in my head.

Here is some more recent work with my radiator fan shrouds. They are actually a structural piece that reinforce the lower frame tubes and hopefully will act as ballistic shields in case of bottom end flathead carnage. The tubes each get a ducted fan intended for extreme brake cooling. Pretty cool at under 4" dia. and will each flow up to 500 cfm with adjustable speed.

Thanks again for the feedback, Andy

Attached Files:

3. awelker

awelker

Rootz - I missed your questions before, - the lower shock mounts are welded directly into the front axle. For the front spring i could not find any classic looking low arch spring packs so i bought all spring main leafs and cut them down with my own end shape and length stagger.

4. T-rev

T-rev

This thing is Amazing and going to turn out fantastic!!

5. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Hi Andy very nice build.
    We both use the same drop tank body Fordrat31 reserch has found they were used under the Navy Bearcat fighter in 1944, And we both use Ford flatheads for power.
    I have found trying to meet the current rules has been interesting wearing the required SFI-20 fire suit and the Hauns device has made it very tight getting in the car but thankfully gravity helps with getting in. Trying to get out in a hurry is different story.
    So far I have been able to run her at three events here on the East Coast once at Loring and twice at Maxton. Each time out I have learned a bit more about what will work and what will not. If your interested in talking send me a PM. Heres a picture from Loring and a short video of a dyno run to help dial in the fuel system on the supercharged flathead.
    Ron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB8AfxQZR1U

Attached Files:

6. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

JEEZUS...That is a thing of beauty!!!

7. Looks great, workmanship looks top notch, and ideas look spot on. Great Job!!!

8. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still out there Andy? Fantastic build, hope it's still alive.

10. Jack Gifford

Jack Gifford
    from Phelps, NY

I'm surprised Andy hasn't posted here since July. People at the just-completed Bonneville Speed Week have been talking about his lakester, so I assume Andy ran there?

11. brady1929

brady1929

12. Koz

Koz

Man, how good does it get! I'm following this.

13. Yes he did! This car was THE NICEST car on the salt! I kid you not, it is sexy and finely built. Nice to meet you andy and crew!

14. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Wow, IMHO this is probably one of the best builds on the HAMB.. Would love to see more pics if you guys got 'em..

15. awelker

awelker

Yes, we made it to speedweek after months of scrambling. It was great meeting everyone there and all the good things everyone had to say I really appreciate it. I know it has been a long time since my last post but I rarely saw the outside of my shed prior to loading the car on the trailer.

All and all it as a good trip, our fastest run for the week was 164.981. Not bad but we just couldn't crack that 165 average. No major carnage or repairs made during the week, but the trip home has resulted in a growing puddle of gear oil under the car. Teardown may tell another story.

We have over 1000 pictures, some on car video and other videos to sort through but here are a few shots from the salt. We just got home a few hours ago, what a trip.

As you can see the tank received some nose art and was named The Blonde Bitch.

More to come...Andy

Attached Files:

16. Congrats on your build and a successful speedweek! Keep us posted. Your car is bitchin!

17. WOW!!!! The "Blond Bitch" is a work of art! Beautiful in every way!

18. Jerry, you would goo over this thing. the fab work is over the top! Not bad for an Engineer Andy!:D

19. Abbasolutly fannafunfuckintablous............

20. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

That thing is absolutely gorgeous! I must say I am amazed by the skill and patience! Truly a work of skill and beauty. Congrats on the build.

21. 36tbird

36tbird

Yo Awelker,

I join the chorus of commending the workmanship and beauty of the tank. While out there, I wish I could have seen it personally but missed you.

I've read some reviews where they have flattened the bottoms of tanks and I thought it was to create some ground effect suction. You look like you kept the original shape of the tank. How did it handle at speed? My theory is that the dorsal cockpit acts as a spoiler on an air foil to kill lift. Did that come into play with you? Thanks, Lou

22. awelker - Bitchin' bellytank! (pun not intended) ... Fantastic design & build execution! ... Congrats on her maiden visit to the salt!

23. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Looks great Andy!! Congrats on a successfull first time out!

Zach

24. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Andy, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you. Too bad we never got all of the Tanks together for a picture. See you next time. Wayno

25. HD74

HD74

Very impressive!!!

26. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Way to go Andy. More pics when you get a chance....BTTT

27. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Cool !!!!!!!!!!! let's see more of this......

4TTRUK

28. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Andy, let me toot your horn a little. You are too modest.:D

His run is on Youtube with a camera in the car. Three video. Try "BB bellytanker"..........

29. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just watched the videos on youtube, now I want more!!